The Dark Mod Forums

Stained glass?

Tobias

Unless he or an AI walks over it, the shadow would face the wrong direction.

But even that probably won't be too noticeable.

The player does not cast a shadow - you can enable it, but it is not officially supported (as it isn't really finished or working properly, as you have then a shadow, but still no body :)

As for the AI, this is true. However, the light can also be set to "non shadow casting", which makes it a bit faster, too. Of course, if the AI can walk "through" it, it will look wrong :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I'm trying to remember, but I think the ones in TDS were so limited (and crappy) because they were faked.

Yes, you can simulate parallel light from whereever in Doom3/TDM. You use a parallel light and drag the origin around where you want it to start. Windows can look correct, in other words. ;)

Oh good point, I haven't tried to use a texture-projected light that is also parallel :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

IMO it should be able to project anywhere. You can specify where the light should fall. And yes, it is projected onto all surfaces, including AI and other objects.

It's rather "how" than "where". If we have a rectangle window and the light shining in from the side, the projection should end up as an parallelogram and not "stay" a rectangle (like it was in TDS). But I think Dave just covered it... :) This was really a big flaw of TDS. You had to redo the texture to achieve the proper result, which in my oppinion should definitely be possible from within the editor, because it's a simple streching-operation.

Oh good point, I haven't tried to use a texture-projected light that is also parallel :)

From my experience normal lights gave finer results. You just have to think about which lightsource "casts" that projection. If it's the moon or the sun use a parallel light, if it's just a streetlantern use a normal light...

Edited by STiFU

It's rather "how" than "where". If we have a rectangle window and the light shining in from the side, the projection should end up as an parallelogram and not "stay" a rectangle (like it was in TDS). But I think Dave just covered it... :) This was really a big flaw of TDS. You had to redo the texture to achieve the proper result, which in my oppinion should definitely be possible from within the editor, because it's a simple streching-operation.

in Doom3, the light is projected as a cube, and you can rotate and stretch that as you want. The "problem" is to (if you don't use the D3 ingame editor, that is, like under Linux) stretch the light in the editor so that the projected result is "correct".

Since all you see in the DarkRadiant editor is that projected cube light, it is almost impossible to predict how it will look in game, so you need to check in game, the modify the light in DR, check again etc.

From my experience normal lights gave finer results. You just have to think about which lightsource "casts" that projection. If it's the moon or the sun use a parallel light, if it's just a streetlantern use a normal light...

Yeah, but I was talking about a "moon" light. :)

That's intriguing (even if for size alone)... if legit.

Well, it is under a Commons license. Unfortunately, RapidShare forces you to wait, download one file at a time, and then even told me I exceeded my limit *sigh*

So far I got only the first part...

in Doom3, the light is projected as a cube, and you can rotate and stretch that as you want. The "problem" is to (if you don't use the D3 ingame editor, that is, like under Linux) stretch the light in the editor so that the projected result is "correct".

What problem are you referring to? I thought that projected lights were now working in DR. Is it the lack of shadows that is the problem, or is there an outstanding issue with the projected texture itself?

What problem are you referring to? I thought that projected lights were now working in DR. Is it the lack of shadows that is the problem, or is there an outstanding issue with the projected texture itself?

I don't see any projected texture inside DR, not with fullbright or the render mode (f3 toggled). The only way I see the texture is inside Doom, but there I cannot edit/adjust the light.

(The light texture is only working on omni lights, but projected lights are not influencing the light at all.)

Was the misalignment the fact that the texture should be backward on the ground?

Uh, no, not that I knew. The "misalignment" was that the projected texture should be a polygon with four corners and the texture fitting it exactly, not only "just".

Heh, actually DigitalNapalm is right - you put the projected texture the wrong way around. I had to look at it carefully again to spot the problem myself. Note how the heart is on the left in the window, but on the right in the projected texture.

Easily fixed of course. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Heh, actually DigitalNapalm is right - you put the projected texture the wrong way around. I had to look at it carefully again to spot the problem myself. Note how the heart is on the left in the window, but on the right in the projected texture.

Easily fixed of course. :)

Ah DUH! Never noticed that, I fiddled around so much with the texture. In fact, the projected texture is the same image rotated 90° because I found it impossible to rotate the light itself by 90°. That explains the "swapped" heart, too :)

In most cases, you have a "generic" symmetric texture, tho, so this problem doesn't arise. But for church windows, care must be taken :D

I just talked to namespace and he told me that Radiant 1.5 was capable of previewing projected textures, so what did you do to that beautiful feature? =)

I seem to have broken it when I implemented the draggable light center. Never got around to fixing it, because I didn't have a working debugger in Windows around that time, but this issue is at least reported on our bugtracker.

Now that I have a working debugger in Windows (and additionally a healthy build environment in Linux) I might get around to look into it soon. I need to get GtkRadiant compiling again in VC++ though.

• 3 years later...

How well can stained glass windows be rendered in the latest version of The Dark Mod? Would be interesting to see which technique proved most effective. Stained glass windows are so beautiful and so perfect for something like Thief fan missions, so it's great if a way can be found to make them look as real as possible. :)

Edited by Dunedain

How well can stained glass windows be rendered in the latest version of The Dark Mod? Would be interesting to see which technique proved most effective. Stained glass windows are so beautiful and so perfect for something like Thief fan missions, so it's great if a way can be found to make them look as real as possible. :)

There are a few materials that exist under darkmod/glass. The effect is very pretty in game:

post-144-131283564026_thumb.jpg

The limitation of this is that you cannot have one after the other, as they don't stack. The same with water, or water+glass etc. Basically the shader that draws tham obscures anything with the same shader behind it.

Hopefully that limit can be overcome once D3 goes GPL.

Wow, that looks great! :) So you could have a stained glass window in a church, and see inside the church (through the non-stained parts) with the light (candles, lanterns, etc.) from inside glowing through the stained parts of the glass? Or be inside the church at night, and there be bright moonlight shining through the window, lighting the stained parts of the glass, so you could see them illuminated in the correct color?

There is no projection of the glass colour onto things lit from a source beyond a window.

i.e : A yellow light on one side of red glass will not mean that the light landing on objects on the other side is red, it will still be yellow in all cases. There are ways to do projection, but they are rather tricky and hard to control.

You'd also not want many external windows being transparent from long distances, which might break the illusion you're after. Thats not to say you cant use a few tricks to make it seem like it :)