The Dark Mod Forums

Can speakers be set to play once?

Fidcal

I've only set speakers to loop so surprised to find I can't set them to trigger once. If I don't put in s_looping or wait then they do nothing. If I add s_looping 1 then it repeats. If I use say wait 60 instead then it does nothing at the start, waits 60 seconds then sounds, and every 60 seconds thereafter.

I've set up a trigger_once brush targetted at the speaker with s_waitfortrigger set on the speaker. This works but it seems strange to have to set up another trigger when speakers themselves detect if the player is near.

So, do I understand this right: you want to setup a speaker which plays its soundshader once when it's triggered?

If that's the case, you can look at the starting area in the bonehoard (outside in the rocky area with the gravel). There is a speaker and a trigger brush.

If you meant something different, please clarify. :)

Well, it sounds like what I've already got - a trigger brush to trigger the speaker. I was really seeking confirmation I guess that speakers cannot be set to self-trigger once only. That is very strange. They can self-trigger to repeat but cannot self-trigger to play just once so they need an additional trigger to trigger themselves when they are already a trigger. Wonder why they didn't just default to play once. As it is, they default to doing nothing! By default, with no additional properties set, they cannot be triggered nor can they self-trigger.

Still keeping thinking I've missed something.........

I just realized what it must be. Speakers are not vicinity triggers like in T2 as I thought. They play all the time! But if you're out of range you can't hear them? So by default they would play once before anyone got near them then remain silent?

Do you mean that the speaker triggers itself? And when should this happen? If it should happen at map start time, it's also possible to let the speaker be triggered by worldspawn.

I mean as a vicinity trigger like in T2. And like the trigger entities. I thought that's how speakers worked. The player goes near, they trigger on; the player leaves and they switch off. As it is they seem to just keep playing continuously. I thought once the player was within maxdistance then they trigger on and trigger off when he leaves.

My understanding is as follows:

1. If a speaker is looping, it will play all the time, but will obviously only be audible when the player is within range.

2. If a speaker is non-looping but waits for trigger, then it will do nothing until triggered. Once triggered it will play but will only be audible if the player is within range.

3. If a speaker is non-looping and untriggered, it will play once at startup, irrespective of whether the player is near enough to hear it.

I have found in the past the speakers were unreliable though, I remember getting very frustrated trying to make ambients come on at startup, even though I thought I had set the necessary properties (s_waitsfortrigger=0 and so on).