The Dark Mod Forums

New Member here...

AstralninjA

Hello,

My name is Daniel, long time lurker, first time poster.

To cut to the chase I would like to know if there is anything I can help out with that's not too complex.

However, I must warn you that I am by no means an expert and that my ...'skills' :laugh:  are amateurish at best so far.

Textures:

I know you are looking for more textures a

nd I do have PhotoShop 7 so I figured I give this a shot. If there's anything specific that you need please let know so I won't be doing something that's been done to death (stone , wood, etc.). I also have a digital camera, if that helps. Although I do need a tripod.

Modeling:

This is where the word "amateurish" would come into play. I have Blender but I'm still learning the basics as of ri

ght now.

Mapping:

I have more experience in this area than with the previous ones but it's mostly UT though (no screenshots). I do have DromEd but I've been reluctant to work with it since the work area is too small for my tastes (It may sound trivial but I'd like to have a nice view of what I'm doing). But I guess I'll give it another try. I also have Doom3 as well as D3Ed. I'm getting along rather well with this although there is that problem were the coordinates keep disappearing as soon as I start the program.

Well, there you have it.

Again, I'm still learning and would like to take care of small time stuff that would otherwise bog down those who are working on more complex things.

If there's anything that you would like for me to try out on then just let me know and I'll get right on it.

Thanks.

~Daniel

[Edit: For some reason a couple of sentences are getting cut off in the middle of a word. I can't explain it.]

Edited by AstralninjA

I don't have anything at the moment.

I'll work on something later on then show you. It'll most likely be in the texture department, though, and I'm not sure how long it will take. Is there any specific textures you're looking for, like tree bark, sewer grime, certain fabrics ? Or do you want me to suprise you? 

I don't have much on the Doom 3 maps except maybe a couple of square rooms, but I'm still experimenting (doors, triggers, and what not.)

~Daniel

We also have a couple of more or less raw textures laying around from various contributors. These are not yet ready for submission into our repository, as these need to be reviewed by the team. Some might need touchups, some might miss a proper normalmap, some may be nontiling (maybe easy to fix, this must be checked), converted to DDS and prepared for uploading.

I'm aware that this is not the uber-attractive work, but as you offered to help with that type of tasks, this could be something we need help with. Would this interest you or would you rather like to contribute your own stuff?

Would this interest you or would you rather like to contribute your own stuff?

Hmmm... <_<

I'd rather do both, although I would need more detailed instructions for working on the raw textures.

(I'm not quite sure how to do the DDS converting and uploading.)

This way I would know what has been done

so far.

I'll go ahead and try my hand at the raw textures for now since creating my own will take some time (gathering source material and all that.)

BTW, does DM require a specific resolution for the textures?

~Daniel

We have extensive information about creating textures for The Dark Mod on the wiki:

http://www.thirdfilms.com/darkwiki/index.p...to_The_Dark_Mod

I have reworked the article recently and I'm still not entirely happy with it, but it should be a good starting point. I suggest that you drop a PM to New Horizon, so you can come into our cosy Applicants or Contributor forum - I can guide you through the process step by step. It can appear confusing at the beginning, but it's not that complicated when you've done the first few. This way we'll also find out if the quality of your work meets The Dark Mod's requirements. :)