The Dark Mod Forums

AstralninjA - Come on down!

New Horizon

Hello,

My name is Daniel and I would like to help out with the textures and Greebo said that you needed someone to work on the raw texture leftovers. I'm also willing to create my own as well, however I don't have any examples to show at the moment but I'll be working on that shortly.

Thanks!

~Daniel

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, I'll see what I can do.

Ok, I'll try to pick something. It's a bit hard for me to judge which textures need work and which ones are mostly ready for getting them in-game.

This texture is by our betamapper Spitter. The username/password is blah/blah. (Please don't propagate the access data to anyone outside the mod. :))

Can you take a look at it in a small testmap and post a screenshot here? From looking at the files, it looks good, but it might be that there are some obvious repetitive patterns in there. If it looks good, we just need to find a decent name according to the Texture Naming Conventions.

This package here is from Judith (she is working on a Thief 3 campaign and sent us this package):

http://208.49.149.11...hs_textures.rar (23 MB)

There are a few nice ones in there, which have to be investigated in-game too. Can you look at pavement02 and pavement03? I don't know if the normalmap is good or pronounced enough.

In case you have troubles judging what a good normalmap looks like, I'll ask angua to show you an example. :)

Sorry, if I'm a bit unspecific, but I can't provide more info without digging deeper into that (and I need to do some coding instead of that :)). Please don't hesitate to ask for more instructions though, I'll do my best to assist you.

Okay....Im confused :wacko:

I was able to convert the 'stonewall2121.tga' to .dds (I didn't do the '_local' one though.) and create a 256x256 '_ed' version.

How do I get the texture/s to show up in Doom3Ed or DR?

The Doom3World site said to put them in the 'Doom3/base/textures' folder, but I don't have one. The only folders I got in 'base' is 'maps', 'savegames', & 'screenshots' so I had to create a 'textures' folder and put the files in there.

Is there a 'textures' folder in DR?

Also, does it make a difference if D3 and DR are on two sep

erate hard drives?

( I got D3 in C: and DR in F: )

~Daniel

DR is just the editor, you have to prepare the files to work in the doom 3 engine with a material file, and the appropriate folders.

This is an example of a material file.

textures/darkmod/stone/brick/rough_blocks02

{

stone

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/stone/brick/rough_blocks02

diffusemap textures/darkmod/stone/brick/rough_blocks02

bumpmap textures/darkmod/stone/brick/rough_blocks02_local

{

if ( parm11 > 0 )

blend gl_dst_color, gl_one

map _white

rgb 0.40 * parm11

}

{

if ( parm11 > 0 )

blend add

map textures/darkmod/stone/brick/rough_blocks02

rgb 0.15 * parm11

}

}

So you could create this as a txt file and then rename it to mytextures.mtr and place it in a folder called materials. The path will point to your textures folder, which might also have to create. If you're just running vanilla doom 3, you should still be able to set something up quite easily. I'm no expert on it however, so hopefully someone more experienced can help you out. :)

There's a lot of information about textures on the wiki, if you haven't seen it already: http://www.thirdfilms.com/darkwiki/index.php?title=Textures

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Thanks NH for the .mtr reminder. I forgot about that. :blush:

Now somethimg else came up. I was able to load the texture in the editor:

TextShownInEd.jpg

(Sorry, I haven't aligned them yet)

But when I try to view them in-game I get this:

TextNotShownInGame.jpg

I compressonated both the Diffuse image and the Normalmap imag

e (At first I didn't compressonate the normal but when 

the result shown above

occured I decided to anyway hoping it would fix the problem, but it didn't).

Here's a shot of the .dds files and the .mtr file:

TextAndMTRFiles.jpg

(Ok...I just noticed while creating this post that 'textures/.../brick/redbrick_with_mortar' should be 'textures/.../cobblestones/stonewall2121'. I just corrected that mistake but it still didn't fix the problem.)

I'm not quite sure how to convert the .DDS to .dds, if that is the culprit.

What command line is the darkwiki refering to? Is it Run>Command from the start menu?

If it's in the Compressonator program then I don't know where to find it.

I hope I'm not making it seem more complicated than it should be.

Thanks in advance!

~Daniel

You only need to compress the diffusemap to DDS using the Compressonator, you can leave the normalmap as it is (TGA).

The black textures in-game are most probably due to a missing line in DoomConfig.cfg:

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"

The material file you got there is ok, apart from the frob highlight code (but I read you already fixed it).

DarkRadiant and D3 can run completely independent. DarkRadiant can access and interpret the material definitions in your Doom3 game folder (assuming you've setup the path correctly).

@Command line: yes, I was referring to Run > cmd, where you can go to the textures folder and hit ren *.DDS *.dds. But you can rename your file extension in Windows Explorer just as fine, but you must change the Explorer settings to not hide the file extension:

1. Open up Windows Explorer2. Go Tools > Folder Options

3. Click the View tab and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

Hmmm...Ok. 

I checked everything that you mentioned,

Greebo, and everything was set the way 

i

t should of been all along. The file extentions were already .dds and not .DDS

' seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1" ' was already in the config file.

ddsSetaImage.jpg 

So there must be something else wrong instead. Although the screenshot above shows 'stonewall2121_local' as both .dds and .tga I only had the .tga in the folder earlier during the test.

When I rendered (F3) a test map in DarkMod, however, I got this:

ShaderNotFound.jpg

Does that mean I need to create a shader for the texture?

~Daniel

I just tried using Judiths 'pavement02' texture but got the same problems.

Here's what the .mtr file says:

textures/darkmod/judith/pavement02
{

diffusemap	   textures/darkmod/judith/pavement02_D
  normalmap		textures/darkmod/judith/pavement02_N
  {
   if ( parm11 > 0 )
   blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
   map		 _white.tga
   rgb		 0.40 * parm11
  }
  {
   if ( parm11 > 0 )
   blend	   add
   map		 textures/darkmod/judith/pavement02_D
   rgb		 0.15 * parm11
  }
}

~Daniel

Ok, I think I know what the problem is. You'll have to move the DDS file into the dds/ subtree, that's where Doom 3 expects the DDS files to be, like this:

doom3/base/dds/textures/darkmod/stone/cobblestones/stonewall2121.dds

The dds/ prefix gets automatically added by the engine when it tries to locate the precompressed textures. That's something virtually everybody runs into, and I personally think it's not very userfriendly, but whatever.

The TGA localmap can stay where it is. :)

Ok, I did what you said:

C:\Program Files\Doom 3\base\dds\textures\darkmod\stone\cobblestones

Now Doom3Ed says that it can't load 'stonewall2121_ed'. Should I still keep the file path below for the non - .dds files?:

C:\Program Files\Doom 3\base\textures\darkmod\stone\cobblestones

The textures are still showing up a solid black though. :angry:

Should I change the .mtr file in any way?

Is it mandatory to resize the .tga images to 512x512? Because I remember the originals being 972 or something.

Let me go ahead a start from scratch.

Oh, btw, I got a warning for Judith's 'pavement02' in the D3Ed console:

WARNING: unknown general material parameter 'normalmap' in 'textures/darkmod/judith/pavement02'

~Daniel

C:\Program Files\Doom 3\base\dds\textures\darkmod\stone\cobblestones

Yes, this path is ok for the DDS files.

Now Doom3Ed says that it can't load 'stonewall2121_ed'. Should I still keep the file path below for the non - .dds files?:

C:\Program Files\Doom 3\base\textures\darkmod\stone\cobblestones

Yes, all non-DDS files (i.e. TGA and JPG) go into the regular textures tree, this is correct.

Is it mandatory to resize the .tga images to 512x512? Because I remember the originals being 972 or something.

Ah, yes, for DDS textures it is mandatory to have power-of-two dimensions. In this case, rescale it up to 1024 and re-compress it, otherwise they won't show.

Oh, btw, I got a warning for Judith's 'pavement02' in the D3Ed console:

WARNING: unknown general material parameter 'normalmap' in 'textures/darkmod/judith/pavement02'

Sorry, I overlooked that one as well, it has to be bumpmap, not normalmap. :)

Suffix for bumpmap is _local. That's just convention but it's good to keep it consistent with the rest of the mod. so, name the texture pavement02_local.

I don't know if you know it already or not - whenever you change mtr file (or any text file) reload it using console command reloaddecls. For changed textures use reloadimage. That will save you from launching Doom3 again only to reload the resources.

Now we're getting somewhere! Although not all the way just yet.

What I did was resize the files to 512x512 and re-compressonated them.

I put all the .dds files in the 'base/dds/textures/' file path and all the .tga files in

the 'base/textures/' one.

I didn't change the .mtr file.

Here's a couple of shots I got from DarkRadiant:

DRStoneWallView.jpg

Doom3Ed is being stubborn as usual <_< :

UnnamedD3Ed.jpg

Thanks for letting me know about the 'pavement02' file. So I should rename 'pavement02_N' to 'pavement02_local' and change 'normalmap' to 'bumpmap' in the .mtr?

~Daniel

Thanks for letting me know about the 'pavement02' file. So I should rename 'pavement02_N' to 'pavement02_local' and change 'normalmap' to 'bumpmap' in the .mtr?

Yes :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Ah, yes, for DDS textures it is mandatory to have power-of-two dimensions.

And a very good idea for any texture, since if they are not a power-of-two they will be rescaled automatically by the engine, which isn't really what you want -- better to do the rescaling yourself so you can control the results.

Doom3Ed is being stubborn as usual <_>

I can't quite say what's still missing. Does the D3 console say anything when you try to load the test map? If you're stuck, feel free to upload the necessary files somewhere so I can have a look at it. Maybe I can spot what's missing.

What I did was resize the files to 512x512 and re-compressonated them.

Better to resize up rather than down to get best results.

Below is a screenshot I took to show the texture at different scale values.

text3scale.jpg

This texture has a particular section (circled in red) which is can give away it's repetitiveness.

One option to fix this is to edit the original .tga file by recoloring it.

Other than that the texture seems rather fine to me.

~Daniel