The Dark Mod Forums

So I just beat crysis

Unstoppable

All I gotta say is this game is a masterful Epic. If you only got one game to buy this holiday season/year this is it. Put everything anyone has ever said aside. The demo just barely scratches the surface. I'm not going to give out any spoilers but lets just say it's like you're playing in the ultimate action sci-fi movie.

There's really never a dull moment in Crysis. The best graphics and game engine to ever be created hands down. I also beat it on the hardest difficulty and it was well worth it. What starts as a simple mission evolves into a story of survival and warfare against multiple kinds of enemies.

The boss battles are also nothing short of stellar. Many a review have said that the game leaves it at a cliffhanger but tis not farther from the truth. I could tell the game is going to end the moment you complete the last objective. Personally I never felt more satisfied with a game in my life.

Don't know how much it costs for you guys but if you Ebay UK i'm sure you can get it for less. Definately a must buy. Definately worth spending the money on. It's the best EA game ever published and it shows that the devs put heart and soul into it. Game of the Year here it comes. B)

crysis-726116.jpg

Well i've only played the beta map when it was out and it is quite fun. You can buy weapons with prestige that you earn throughout the battlefields.

All kinds of crazy explosives like claymores, c4, grenades, flashbangs, smoke grenades, gren launch, missile launcher, tanks, apcs, boats, humvee's, all kinds of trucks, pickup trucks, all kinds of tanks, nuclear weapons, and much much more.

It's insane and fun. There are two kinds. Deathmatch or nuclear launch mode as I call it. Which really it's called team something I forget. Basically you got North Korea vs U.S.A. Both have nano suits. You can use all the powers of course but are limited to the energ your suit has which recharges over time.

There's just a whole endless emergent gameplay and possibilities. For example during the beta I sniped while in a mountain top. People would sneak up on me though and shoot me in the head.

I then resorted to hiding while claiming capture points to ready the power for nuclear weapons. When I saw that the point was contested I brought out my scanner. I saw my enemy before they could see me. (not many peolpe used scanners in beta cuz they didn't know). I was dominating the battlefield.

Then when the nuclear power was ready I captured the prototype facility. (access to nuke tanks/weapons and all kinds of better alien weaponry)

Drove the tank across the beach (I had already cleared turrets protecting the U.S. sub) Pointed my tank at the tip of the submarine. Fired two nukes and victory was mine. :laugh:

Picture a game where you are only limited by your imagination. In crysis almost everything is breakable and frobable. You can pick up all kinds of shit at throw it at people. Use maximum strength to hurl it even farther.

It's just crazy good. My pick for Game of the Year :).

One more thing I forgot to mention and very important. Crysis is a skill game. Especially when it comes to the iron sights. Once you maste the iron sights and reflex sight (which puts a fake laser to help you aim) then you really start to rank up the kills both offline and on.

It's not a james bond game where you go in guns blazing. You go in gunz blazing while taking cover and using your nano-suit powers to your advantage. You play how you want. I remember one mission I got in a humvee and drove past 10-15 Koreans while getting shot at. Got out as soon as I could before I died and cloaked asap.

Got to the objective but they knew I was there. So I held myself up in a corner and started dropping the bastards like flies. I could of probably been more sneaky but I wasn't taking any chances hehe. What i'm trying to say is that you can be thiefy like.

You know, I have to admit that I thought this game would be "all graphics" and offer nothing in terms of gameplay (even after the demo I thought this), but there are seriously a lot of parts in this game that are so (and I hate to use this word) "epic" and satisfying that it's hard to believe such an experience could be produced by a game.

Maybe I'll come back when I have more time to post and be more clear, but I just have to say that there is this inner debate occuring inside me concerning whether or not--in all of the 10 years I've been gaming--I've ever been this drawn in to a game's atmosphere. Some parts even made me lightheaded; I felt like I was truly in a scifi movie at times.

Edited by woah

You know, I have to admit that I thought this game would be "all graphics" and offer nothing in terms of gameplay (even after the demo I thought this), but there are seriously a lot of parts in this game that are so (and I hate to use this word) "epic" and satisfying that it's hard to believe such an experience could be produced by a game.

Maybe I'll come back when I have more time to post and be more clear, but I just have to say that there is this inner debate occuring inside me concerning whether or not--in all of the 10 years I've been gaming--I've ever been this drawn in to a game's atmosphere. Some parts even made me lightheaded; I felt like I was truly in a scifi movie at times.

Glad to hear it =D.

It's better than Halo 3 I'll give it that; and it certainly is lots of fun. Still I thought the ending was the biggest load of crap ever, I'm sick of these games that offer 6 hours of gameplay and then say 'tune in next week for the real proper 'proper!' ending!! haha that'll be $100 please..." so you have to keep paying to get what amounts to half a game. I remember back in the day we had single-player games that lasted for a few weeks (even months!) of gameplay; hell Thief took waaay longer to finish than Crysis.

Still there's pretty good replayability thanks to the open-endedness of the game i guess; i just wish the developers could have spent a little extra effort in making the singleplayer go for longer.

Edited by SplaTtzZ

Wow you beat it in 6 hours? It took me over 20 and plenty of reloads. Definately play it in Delta then you'll experience what it really is to be in a "Crysis." The ending was so satisfying for me. Having gone through all the fighting and survival. Playing on Delta is so gratifying. Definately give it another run through my friend!

If you remember the mission where

you blow up the boat, Imagine cloaking past the enemies and swimming underwater. They lose sight of you.

Then I made it into the warehouse. However after dispatching the enemies about 30-50 of them lined up to take their turn at me. Plus a chopper was outside. Try running into the middle of the field and retrieving a rocket launcher after having dispatched the KPA (North Korean Troops). Then getting shot at by the chopper.

Freaking Epic. Then after that the awesome tank battle. Rofl. The game just keeps on giving 8D.

There comes a point where you don't want the AI any smarter though, because it would make the game literally impossible.

This is becasue it is literally impossible for one man to go up against a horde of armed foes like this and last for more than a few minutes.

The AI have to be dumb.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Exactly. The AI in Far Cry was ludicrous. (on highest setting) I'm not sure if I did beat it on highest setting but I know I did beat the game.

However it was so stupid if I did play it on super hard. Reason being they give you armor but it only stops like one or two bullets.

Games are supposed to be fun and I think Crysis hit the perfect balance with the ultimate difficulty.

There comes a point where you don't want the AI any smarter though, because it would make the game literally impossible.

This is becasue it is literally impossible for one man to go up against a horde of armed foes like this and last for more than a few minutes.

The AI have to be dumb.

Well the ideal situation is extremely clever enemy AI, but you also have incredibly clever friendly AI assisting you.

Of course the best would be AI that acts human, so gets scared when friends are being taken out one by one quietly etc

Yeah I remember playing Far Cry on hardest difficulty from the start, the AI were pretty challenging and the damage done to you was realistic as well. It was a good experience, very close to playing real people in multiplayer (except the AI all took way too many shots to kill, I don't really like it when harder difficulty means you have to shoot every AI in the head unless you want to stand there for 5 minutes shooting their torso). At one point there were a bunch of AI dropped in to an enclosed space by choppers, and you had to get somewhere past them. I fought them again and again, but kept getting killed. Eventually I just tossed a smoke grenade into their LZ and ran past them to the point I had to go. I stopped playing the game once I got to the giant mutants with rocket launchers and a little spot on their chest you can shoot them to stun them though, that just turned me off. :)

I remember exactly that section you're talking about. You're in a little helicopter pad without much room to maneuver, and you have to fight several waves of guys. I tried doing it the sneaky way for like a half-hour but kept getting surrounded. But then I remembered I had some rockets left, and I ended up just blowing up the copter and watching the bodies fall out like candy from a pinata :laugh:.

Far Cry AI was nice but had a few rough spots. One the one hand, I liked how the enemies liked to flank you, and the fact that they were proactive about investigating suspicious activity. It encouraged you to use a lot of attack-and-retreat skirmishing type tactics. On the other hand, sometimes they were a little *too* proactive. One time I shot a guy from behind a rock. The noise alerted the guy across the road, and he went over to investigate. He stopped at the body, I shot him, another guy heard the noise...you get the picture. By the end I had about 20 bodies piled up in the same 10-foot radius. That's a problem I've seen in a lot of computer games, AI never seems to have any way of flagging an area as "dangerous" and seeking an alternate route. The other problem was that AI never seemed to run away and look for help, no matter what they odds. So it's a mixed bag.

Edited by thestemmer

I think its the cloaking that screws up the AI; everytime I see them heading towards me I cloak and then snipe them in the head one by one. Sometimes you can be fighting them and just cloak and they have no chance. Often they'll decide to go into really strange search/patrol algorithms that are quite hilarious; like moving carefully away in single file in the opposite direction from where are a massive firefight just took place with dead bodies, burning jeeps etc.

That said however, I've noticed some pretty good AI for crysis in other situations: enemies lay down suppressing fire particularly from mg nests; they shoot through cover, if they see bushes moving while you're cloaked they spray bullets everywhere in the hopes they can hit you; they flank, take cover and call for help. Once you get hit enough and can't cloak then the combat becomes much more balanced. the AI certainly isn't ground-breaking but I found it adequate I guess. I don't know whether the AI for Crysis is better than Far Cry, as i haven't played that in a while; but it doesn't really matter because half of Crysis is fighting giant, flying squids anyway and they don't really have any AI except for leaping about the place and shooting or just flying around and bumping into things. The encounters with KPA are fairly brief, and the challenge is only the nano-suit ones who have the same AI as normal soldiers but are just harder to kill.

Well I hope that they have some sick enemies in Crysis sequel or expansion. They need to have some enemies that can see through cloaking.

My favorite part was when you're in the

ruins and a bunch of nano tech Koreans come at you. I like when one of them jumps up with maximum strength and starts sniping you. I was playing on Delta. I'd say it was challenging but with my powers I kinda had the situation under control. I did reload a few times though ;).

The tank and plane missions are tons of fun as well. It felt like I was in a war movie.

Yeah I remember playing Far Cry on hardest difficulty from the start, the AI were pretty challenging and the damage done to you was realistic as well. It was a good experience, very close to playing real people in multiplayer

Yeah but imagine if this was an online shooter, and it was you against everyone else. You couldn't last more than 5 minutes against real experienced players (the enemies are supposed to be trained soldiers after all)

That's what it would be like to play against totally realistic AI. Unless you have powers 100x better than theirs, which is ludicrous, or only ever meet them one or two at a time, which is equally ludicrous. You'd basically need to be a futuristic supersoldier going in against cavemen armed with sticks and stones.

Certainly you cant have the typical 'one man against an army' shooter if all the AI have realistic intelligence.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Of course it is. EA has taken over now remember, and they'll want to milk it for every last penny.

Why release one long game, when you can make three times as much by releasing 3 short games.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yeah but imagine if this was an online shooter, and it was you against everyone else. You couldn't last more than 5 minutes against real experienced players (the enemies are supposed to be trained soldiers after all)

That's what it would be like to play against totally realistic AI. Unless you have powers 100x better than theirs, which is ludicrous, or only ever meet them one or two at a time, which is equally ludicrous. You'd basically need to be a futuristic supersoldier going in against cavemen armed with sticks and stones.

Certainly you cant have the typical 'one man against an army' shooter if all the AI have realistic intelligence.

That's true to some extent, but in Far Cry you can also decide to stay hidden, and if you do have to fight, you have the element of surprise, so you can use supressed weapons and divide and lure away individual AI. In an online shooter people pretty much know people are trying to kill them right now and are always on guard. It would kind've be like an online shooter where one team is connected 24/7 and goes about menial tasks like unloading cargo, guarding their own particular sector, etc. Then one crazed player someone out there that most of the other players would hardly ever interact with until he snuck through their area or he came out of nowhere and tried to kill them. :)

I understand what you're saying though, once a particular group of AI are alerted and know the player is in the area, it would be like having 10 players against one in an online shooter. That 1 player would have to use guerilla tactics and try to evade most of the time to have any chance of surviving, which is kind've what you do in Far Cry on the realistic difficulty setting.

Of course it is. EA has taken over now remember, and they'll want to milk it for every last penny.

Why release one long game, when you can make three times as much by releasing 3 short games.

EA does not own Crytek. Also I doubt they ever will. Crytek is producing the titles for EA and EA is paying them in a deal. Crytek remains independent.

Edited by Unstoppable