The Dark Mod Forums

Galleon model

PinkDot

I'm sending to SVN a test map with a galleon model. (maps/test/galleon.map). It's not finished yet (it starts to turn into neverending story.... ;) ) but you'll get the idea. I mean - the outside of the model is done - it needs some minor tweaks (few textures need normal maps and specular, some UV corrections etc.). But the inside is not ready - I'm working on another map building inside with brushes. It looks like lower decks are too low (only slightly higher than player) so I have to change it again, and it means a bit more work than I expected... And beside that, I've no inside props done yet, so for the final result you have to wait another while...

But anyway - if you want to try it, there's a map - only ship and a piece of land - nothing more. You can climb up to the very top. Getting into crow's nest might be awkward a bit, but just use mantle and it should work.

Oh, and the water is crappy - just plain reflections. That's all I can do for now...

Any feedback highly appreciated! :)

shot00016.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nevermind about the ladder bit above, just tried it out and you already had it.

Anyways, looking through it, the only issues I can find is:

* Getting into crow's nest is awkward but is due to the player being to large when on the ladders etc, so not really a model issue.

* There is a window that is offset from the ship:

galleonerror.jpg

* The doorway at the bottom part of the ship at the back has no door blocking the view into the ship.

It is really REALLY nice though :) The only other problem with it though is that it is taxing in terms of performance. This is mainly due to the collision model, so if you wanted you could fix that by breaking the collision model up into several parts and have it not part of the single model. Up to you really.

This is cool! Add an inside, some AIs, and a few objectives, and you've got yourself a little ready-made mission.

I demand more physics objects. ;) Looks pretty but it's all very static. I guess that comes from being a model.

It's a little disconcerting when you're climbing up the side of the rigging and it disappears (alphatest geometry!), but I guess that's a conscious tradeoff you made.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Thanks! :)

@Dram - that window is on my todo list. Missing door - it will be there for sure :) I think there's at least one more part floating anyway... ;)

I'm going to upload 2 versions of hull - one with holes and no doors - that's for allowing to go inside and one without holes, just door models - that's only if mappers want the outside of the ship.

Performance is bad, cause you have there moon light and reflections. Beside that the collision model is too complex, as you said. I'm sure I can do quite a lot with that - all ropes, details in hull might be excluded from collision model.

@Crispy - do you want to turn the steering wheel? Or you mean more moveable props on the deck? I don't know about the wheel, but adding moveable props is no problem. This was just to show the ship model.

And that rigging - I know, I could add some polygons at the sides. I didn't want to do it cause it's quite complex already and I'm not sure the visual result but I can try it once I'm done with other major things.

I demand more physics objects. ;) Looks pretty but it's all very static. I guess that comes from being a model.

I'm still at work so I haven't looked at it yet (I'm sure it's awesome), but regarding physics objects: Right now it's difficult if not impossible to set up an AF that's bound in two places, like a rope that's fixed at both ends and hangs in a "U" shape. I have some experimental code for setting things up like this ingame, maybe I should look into trying to save it to the mapfile after you bind it the way you want.

I'm still at work so I haven't looked at it yet (I'm sure it's awesome), but regarding physics objects: Right now it's difficult if not impossible to set up an AF that's bound in two places, like a rope that's fixed at both ends and hangs in a "U" shape. I have some experimental code for setting things up like this ingame, maybe I should look into trying to save it to the mapfile after you bind it the way you want.

Does the same apply to things hanging from the ceiling on a chain? I am trying to hang a lamp from a bar, and the lamp should "sway" if touched, shoot at or climbed on. However, I have not the slightest idea how to do this :/

As for the ship: holy cow. I get about 30fps outside.

The only things I noticed:

* the anchor has a missing texture.

* the bucket is sunk into the floor

* can't get on the ship once you are in the water (or maybe I didn't see it)

Damn nice work!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Does the same apply to things hanging from the ceiling on a chain? I am trying to hang a lamp from a bar, and the lamp should "sway" if touched, shoot at or climbed on. However, I have not the slightest idea how to do this :/

That is definitely possible, since the AF is only attached at one end (the ceiling). I have only done this with an animated (self-swinging) lantern, but an AF should certainly be possible as well.

That is definitely possible, since the AF is only attached at one end (the ceiling). I have only done this with an animated (self-swinging) lantern, but an AF should certainly be possible as well.

Uhm, actually the chain is connected to the ceiling, and to the lamp!? Anyway, how would you set such a thing up? Is there a wiki tutorial on it yet?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

* the anchor has a missing texture.

OK, thanks - I'll take a look at that.

* can't get on the ship once you are in the water (or maybe I didn't see it)

do a noclip, or... shoot a rope arrow at the hull at the beginnig of the map. Well, it's not meant to be fully playable yet... :)

* the bucket is sunk into the floor

oh, f**k! this one is tricky! 6 months of work on this f*** galleon and the bucket is still sunk into floor.... :(*** looking for suicide websites *** ;)

seriously - I slapped in couple props to give a size idea of the ship. I promise to move it up a little bit. :)

I'm glad you like it. :)

or maybe it's the lamp connected to the chain?

Uh, I have no idea, that's why I am asking. A quick search on the wiki didn't turn up anything, and I still have no idea how I would even connect the two entities so the lamp swings properly....

oh, f**k! this one is tricky! 6 months of work on this f*** galleon and the bucket is still sunk into floor.... :(*** looking for suicide websites *** ;)

seriously - I slapped in couple props to give a size idea of the ship. I promise to move it up a little bit. :)

Hehe :D

Yeah, this ship is pretty awesome. I think it busted Oblivion's ships :)

You'd have to set up an articulated figure (AF) for that. If you search for "bucket" in the modeling forum, you should find the thread where we created an AF bucket. Its entitydef is atdm:env_bucket. That is a standalone AF entity. You want something that is bound to the world as well (so it stays hanging from your bar). You can do that by either adding a constraint to the world in the AF file, or possibly by binding it in the editor (although I'm not sure how well that works). Also, you could open up any of the many D3 maps that had swinging lamps to see how they did theirs.

This looks absolutely awesome, Pinkdot. :) If someone wanted to add a better watershader I'd love to add some screenshots to the website.

Thanks Springheel!

I was thinking about making some video when I have everything made - I mean interior and exterior (some small city part). This would be more interesting and also an example of combining brushwork with models (interior of ship is made with brushes). But I don't know when it will be ready. I gave myself a deadline for the end of this year and I think I prefer to focus on the city part first. But if you think that it's interesting enough even without props than it's OK.

As for the water shader - I want reflections to be waved, but if I add heathaze, than everything is affected except for the reflections... Anyone knows how to do this?

@Crispy - do you want to turn the steering wheel? Or you mean more moveable props on the deck? I don't know about the wheel, but adding moveable props is no problem. This was just to show the ship model.

Any or all of the above. :) The wheel would be cool, but it may be more effort than it's worth.

I didn't mean to make all the ropes into AFs, that's probably slightly overkill. :)

As for water, I don't know how to set it up but test/water.map looks good. You might get some ideas looking at that.

I guess we need a standard water setup article on the wiki, that covers all the standard effects that people might want to use. There is a "swimmable water" article now, but it doesn't cover anything besides basic setup of a func_liquid.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

As for the water shader - I want reflections to be waved, but if I add heathaze, than everything is affected except for the reflections... Anyone knows how to do this?

Yes, I do. :) I'll take care of that and will upload the map when it's in.

Uhm, actually the chain is connected to the ceiling, and to the lamp!? Anyway, how would you set such a thing up? Is there a wiki tutorial on it yet?

I don't know about a Wiki tutorial, but here is the thread when I asked about it on Doom 3 world and some of Kat's posts are quite helpful.

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic...=50&t=12288

greebo - that scenery looks great! (i recognize graveyard map... :) ) Thanks for that! Yes, something like that can go to the website. That screenshot with thief in the crow's nest looks just like taken from Assassin's Creed. :) Colours are also so blueish. But for the website screenshot, I would turn the ship's shadows on - deck looks plain without them, I think.

Oh, and I think those poles along the port platform (well, I don't know how to call it) are too big. But that's just minor nitpicking - you don't notice that at the first glance.

I just noticed that you uploaded a map to SVN - if you don't mind I'll make the above changes, to not distract you from your more important, coding tasks. :)

Feel free to go ahead and edit the map, it's yours. :)

Yes, I threw in a few buildings from graveyard.map, I think they fit ok and it was just copy&paste. I also turned off the ship's shadows, because I thought it would only cast on the water. But you're of course right, it won't cast shadows on itself either, so please revert that. Prepare for a painful framerate hit, though. :)

Also, I won't do any coding for a few days now, I want to take a break for mapping and other stuff. I'm a bit burnt out from AI coding and need to refill my creative batteries, so maybe I'll do some objectives overlay or DarkRadiant coding after my mapping break, let's see. (It's likely that I run into a DarkRadiant bug that needs to be fixed, as always. Sometimes I wish I didn't know how to fix it, because then I could just ignore it or report it and let someone else fix it :P.)

I don't know about a Wiki tutorial, but here is the thread when I asked about it on Doom 3 world and some of Kat's posts are quite helpful.

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic...=50&t=12288

Uhm, excuse me? I need to do a model, create an AF for it, do an animation, some md5 stuff (isn't that a hash algorithm), just to be able to connect to physics body with each other? Holy crap...whoever made that engine should be shot with water arrows and not be let near any computer, ever.

I had imagined something along the lines of:

* put in the chain and the lamp, and position them relatively to each other

* bind them together, specify this is a "rotational join"

* bind the chain to the beam, again specifying "this is a rotational joint"

Done.

Ugh, I try to follow these posts, but they had me on "create the model" - I don't even know how to do this and I don't think every mapper wants to mess with AF just to have some physical items connected with each other (like a plank with a bolt through it so it can rotate freely around the z-axis etc).