The Dark Mod Forums

Galleon model

PinkDot

Uhm, excuse me? I need to do a model, create an AF for it, do an animation, some md5 stuff (isn't that a hash algorithm), just to be able to connect to physics body with each other? Holy crap...whoever made that engine should be shot with water arrows and not be let near any computer, ever.

I had imagined something along the lines of:

* put in the chain and the lamp, and position them relatively to each other

* bind them together, specify this is a "rotational join"

* bind the chain to the beam, again specifying "this is a rotational joint"

Done.

Ugh, I try to follow these posts, but they had me on "create the model" - I don't even know how to do this and I don't think every mapper wants to mess with AF just to have some physical items connected with each other (like a plank with a bolt through it so it can rotate freely around the z-axis etc).

Reading the doomworld posts it seems you really need a model etc for each. Can we have some "dummy" models then, that act as rotational join, etc? Or do we really have to do them again and again for each physic item we want to have? That would suck.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was my reaction too -- I just wanted to bind two things together with a RigidAttachment like in T3, but I had to create a model and give it an animation to do this.

The "dummy model" idea is interesting; I wonder if you could create an MD5-based AF with no actual visible polygons, and then "bind" an arbitrary world object to each part.

That was my reaction too -- I just wanted to bind two things together with a RigidAttachment like in T3, but I had to create a model and give it an animation to do this.

Great minds think alike :)

The "dummy model" idea is interesting; I wonder if you could create an MD5-based AF with no actual visible polygons, and then "bind" an arbitrary world object to each part.

if I had any idea about modeling, I would try it, but I know I would waste more than a few days to even get the programs, find out how to use them etc.

My time is spent better doing what I already do (wiki, mapping, cleanups), and getting more involved in code.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

wouldn't it be fixed at size?

----

Springheel - I made few screenshots with galleon casting shadow. Should be OK for website, I think. (BTW: greebo - how do make those little thumbnails? Is it a forum feature or your webhost does it for you?)

shot00031.jpg

shot00028.jpg

shot00025.jpg

shot00021.jpg

shot00018.jpg

wouldn't it be fixed at size?

Sorry, what do you mean?

Was it grammar mistake or just too brief to be clear?

Anyway - I suppose that bones would have the same size always (you wouldn't change MD5 each time), so you could bind only same sized models.

Was it grammar mistake or just too brief to be clear?

Probably both (I am not a native speaker).

Anyway - I suppose that bones would have the same size always (you wouldn't change MD5 each time), so you could bind only same sized models.

I still have no idea what you are talking about :/ What I want to achieve is that a chain (or a bolt) is attached at one point to something fixed.

That is supposed to be very simple, but I guess ID had to re-invent everything in a really limited way, opposed to just stick in a real physics engine *sigh*

Maybe I just misunderstood your idea of dummy joint model. I thought you meant one universal invisible model with two bound bones. And then mapper can use it as a base for attaching a lamp to a chain or chandelier to a rope or hanged person to a rope etc. etc... without need of messing with MD5.

Maybe I just misunderstood your idea of dummy joint model. I thought you meant one universal invisible model with two bound bones. And then mapper can use it as a base for attaching a lamp to a chain or chandelier to a rope or hanged person to a rope etc. etc... without need of messing with MD5.

Yes, that is basically what I meant. :)

Only that I have no idea how MD5, bones etc. really work, so I didn't/don't understand your comment about size. Why does the size of the attached object matter?

Probably should move this to a new thread.

On a side note - I think they look very good with a character on them, don't they? Thanks greebo for that idea :).

You can play with angle and range to get the character from diffrent angle (f.e. facing towards camera) and diffrent distance. Also pm_thirdpersonclip might be useful - it ignores geometry between camera and character. (f.e. rigging - it doesn't really obscures the view). But I found turning the camera in up and down direction sometimes limited, especially the higher range is.

They look great!!!! I'm hesitant to post any images with the Thief character though, we might end up giving the impression that we're supporting 3rd person and that could end up causing a whole wake of confusion that we don't want. We should throw in a guard with one of the different skins that Spring cooked up awhile ago. :)

Well, personally I wouldn't worry about that. They are more model showcase screenshots rather than gameplay screenies. And player model at the top shows that climbing up there is possible.

But it's up to you - you're the PR man here. :)

Well, personally I wouldn't worry about that. They are more model showcase screenshots rather than gameplay screenies. And player model at the top shows that climbing up there is possible.

But it's up to you - you're the PR man here. :)

Ha ha. Trust me, it's so easy to get things fired up. It's just that we've said all along that 3rd person is a supported feature...so I don't want to give the impression that we've back tracked.

I have just reformatted, so I don't have DR or Doom 3 installed. But I think there are some different skins for some of the guards uniforms. Would be neat to see a guard or two in non-default skins posted on the ship. :)

It's also used for NPC thieves, so technically it doesn't suggest anything about 3rd person. Though I'm sure some people who are unaware of that might get the wrong impression.

The Thief model seems to be missing his normals maps. Great work on the galleon though. I kind of started one fro my warehouse map, but never finished it.

The problem here is more that the thief always has his back to the camera, which suggests 3rd person quite strongly. You can show the Thief model without making it look like 3rd person.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I was trying to change the angle of the camera and did some screenshots with thief facing front, but it didn't look good either. Camera is very limited with movement and focused only on the player, so it's hard to get good composition. The only way to do it would be to place an AI there and make a screenshot in noclip mode, but then he could be facing not the direction we want... :wacko:

I've seen your model. If the mesh is complete, than all needs to be done is UV layout and texturing, which shouldn't be too hard, as I've done a set of ship textures. Two ship models are better than one, I think...

@Orbweaver and Tels

Yes, it's true that D3 has no good tools for easily setting up constraints like this. We would have to invent one (and of course that takes away time for finishing up core gameplay things :( ). Whenever Id wanted a hanging lamp, they made an AF specifically for it.

That being said though, I did go through and add ways to dynamically build up an AF ingame, so it might be possible to use that basis to make some kind of system for it, using dummy starting AF's with just the constraints you want (ball and socket, universal joint with a shaft, etc). It's possible our new system could then be used to add the objects on either end of it, just like you can now shoot arrows into existing AI AFs and add them to the AF. You might have to adjust the friction of the original constraint, to avoid instabilities if the masses of the objects attached are too high, but that should't be hard. I think you'd still have to specify whether you were connecting one object to the world or two objects to eachoter.

I don't think I have time to work on such a system myself without putting aside core gameplay tasks, but if someone wants to do it I could point them to the adding of AF bodies code.

The Thief model seems to be missing his normals maps.

I thought it appeared to be missing some detail as well. The following materials for the thief have no normals maps and sound like they should:

thief_head

hood

playerhand

But there are others, which seem to be full-char textures (thief1, thief2) which have locals, so I'm not sure if it's right or not.

Only just found this - saw comments on ttlg but didn't realize there was a map!

Great work PinkDot! This is something very special. Not bad fps either considering reflective water as well. I recall many got a lot worse than this when they first played Shipping and Receiving in T2 in a similar scene - but this is vastly better quality.

Really a work of art. Imagine a mission and coming across this!

Now we need a few pirate AI ! :)

Thanks Fidcal, I have to check what they say on TTLG... :)

Imagine a mission and coming across this!

I'm building interior with brushes and it's looking fine so far. AI fits into door, so I hope to make a small level with some gameplay in that galleon. :)

• 2 months later...