The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex 3 teaser inside

Unstoppable

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pfft how dare you ask that question! This game is so awesome that I wish I could move to Montreal, Canada and work as a tester. Unfortunately I can't do that right now and they have 7 openings. My U.S. citizenship should be realized by next year since I have an interview on February and after that it's the swearing. Also I've just started a new job.

If you've never played Deus Ex you should download it off steam right now. It is the most epic, engaging, immersive gaming experience i've ever had in my life. Still my favorite all time PC game with Crysis coming it at a close second.

Augmentations were used to alter your character. You could give yourself more strength or speed. Make yourself able to explode projectiles at a certain distance. Some of them were passive but others you'd have to activate and it would use your bio electric energy.

Seriously if you've never played Deus Ex you should do so right away, from start to finish. Also don't leave Paul. You'll understand what I mean when it happens. ^_^

Oh yeah you might want to keep an eye on the chopper before heading for a mission. ^_^

I won't spoil it for ya but those two tips I gave ya end up changing the story for the better.

I haven't played the previous installments of Deus Ex, so I can't say anything about that.

-I've played DE1, and it was excellent. Good plot, your actions mattered to some extent on a long scale. The player was presented with interesting moral decisions. You could play the game the way you wanted. (I liked to sneak and avoid killing people.) I would recommend the game to almost anyone.

I also player DE2, which was crap. They kinda improved the graphics and physics, but ruined everything else. I hardly bothered to wade through it. DE2 felt like a hollywood version of a good movie (DE1). Simplified, more predictable, more boring.

I've lost my faith in the gaming industry, as sequels almost always turn out to be crappy attempts to haul cash with the name of the previous game. It would seem that all "big" games suffer from the simplification: oblivion dragged you by the nose through the plot, you couldn't figure things out yourself, the journal told what to do and pointed where to go. But I guess it is the demand: if they make a good and clever game, nobody buys it. Nowadays, most games are single-use entertainment (doom3), not classics that last for many years (UFO:Enemy Unknown, I still play it!).

On another note: What does "We do not welcome agumented people here."

I looked "augmented" up in the dictionary, but it doesn't make sense to me. :)

Augmented refers to cybernetically improved humans.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Sotha is absolutely right! Deus Ex 1 was my favorite game for a very long time. It has opportunities for everyone. I even got the extra classy glamour box of Deus Ex 1 and a big poster of J.C. Denton (the protagonist) up here in my room. But sorry, Deus Ex 2 was pure failure. I didn't even finish it, altough I thought 'till that very moment, that I was a Deus Ex fanatic. So I am not too psyched about DE now, like I was before DE 2 was released. Let's see how the third part turns out, but I bet it woun't be any good, because of todays gamedevelopment industry (like Sotha already pointed out again).

DAMN YOU SIMPLY STRUCTURED CONSOLE GAMERS!!! ;)

I finally played Deus Ex last year and I liked it, but I didn't like the horribly dated visuals. The gameplay was pretty fun, seemed like a nice variety of approaches were possible. My absolute favourite was launching the little drone that gave you a video feed of its point of view flying, and could EMP things far away!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I finally played Deus Ex last year and I liked it, but I didn't like the horribly dated visuals. The gameplay was pretty fun, seemed like a nice variety of approaches were possible. My absolute favourite was launching the little drone that gave you a video feed of its point of view flying, and could EMP things far away!

Does anybody have a download link for that trailer? The page linked is so broken here Iall I can see is jumbled grafics and a broken in-page movieplayer...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Crossbow with KO-arrows, a sniper with silencer, hacking, lockpicking and a medium to fully skilled sniperweapon handling is all I need... ;)

You should get the trailer at fileshack for example, but you'll need a login there. But you could also just ask google.....

You should get the trailer at fileshack for example, but you'll need a login there. But you could also just ask google.....

I don't like download pages that force me to login. As for google, all I found was some 6.06 Mbyte WMV file, that mplayer can only play quite...slow. And it is tiny in resolution too.

Edit:

God, if that was the "teaser trailer", please wake me up when they done a real trailer. What's next, a teaser-description of a teaser-trailer-intro? And don't mention their inability to create a video that doesn't look like it was created in 1985...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Gotta love the cheesy stock SFX. Why exactly does a zoom need to be tied with a "whoosh"? I get it, Eidos. The camera's zooming out really quickly. I don't need an audio cue to figure that out.

As for the game itself, it's multiplatform. PC, X360 and PS3. That doesn't exactly guarantee that it's going to be worthless trash, but it's a pretty safe bet.

The game should lead with PC development and stick to the hybrid genre and not go the extremely streamlined route that Bioshock did. Console centricity had a lot to do with that.

Cyberpunk-related boards are abuzz as to who/what/how Deus Ex 3 is written. The game holds the shining candle of gaming greatness in regards to sociopolitical commentary. I say they should proceed from the original and forget IW even exists, and choose the JCD/Helios ending, since it can offer a different, philosophical narrative dealing with the transhumanist nature of mankind under the auspices of a seemingly benevolent AI. Throw in Morpheus as an untapped, but likely fitting foil and let the player screw their forehead in frustration trying to choose within the greyness the sides represent. A lot of the time it’s about choosing the lesser of two evils. How about choosing between the ambiguous intentions of two goods? The road to hell is paved with good intentions ;)

On the simpler side of things:

- I would like to see JCD return along with some other familiar faces from the original.

- I would like to see Warren S. involved to whatever degree he can manage, even though it’s not his project (someone from Eidos Montreal should be in constant contact with him, at least to gather thoughts, criticisms and inspirations).

- I would like the same design philosophy from the first game, and a fitting engine chosen.

- I would like to be blown away by the art design like I was in Bx. Sometimes less is more in cyber-dystopias, but sometimes more is dazzling.

- I would like choices to side with whatever factions to cause major branches in the story’s progression (ie. side with UNATCO/MJ12, NSF)

- I would like the player character to be able to take charge, have their own impetus for the fate of the world.

- More influence from Bruce Sterling works, less from Billy Gibson whose been done to death.

- Don't fuck this up like the last iteration.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

If for some reason they follow the original, I'm confident they wouldn't favor any one of the endings. And that makes it difficult to follow the original, so I don't think they will

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Well here's the good news guys. The guy who lead the project for Deus Ex 2 has no affiliation with Deus Ex 3. (Harvey Smith)

Eidos Montreal is a brand new studio and with new people and perhaps some old. Crystal Dynamics has made solid Tomb Raider games and i'm pretty sure they got some people from there. Also some French devs who made excellent Prince of Persia games.

I also read that they might get some help from Ubisoft Montreal which will be a huge boost considering Assasin's Creed is a hit. All I know is i'm placing my faith into the game and it's not gonna dissapoint. Eidos Montreal will give it a sequel well deserving.

DX2 was a disappointment, on the whole. I finished one ending (the one where

the Dentons do that freaky mind-control-everyone thing - seriously, I decided to support the Dentons because they rocked in the original, but that just weirded me out. Did not like. Individuality is good kthx.

), but really couldn't be bothered seeing the others. If I was in charge of DX3 I'd just retcon all of DX2 and start over.

On the plus side, there were penguins! On the minus side, that was probably the best feature.

By the way - hate universal ammo. Hate, hate, hate. Hope they get rid of that. That's one reason why I never finished the other endings of DX2 - the only decent gun at the end can be fired, like, three times before you completely run out of ammo. Running out of ammo happened a fair bit in DX as well, but that was fine (and good since it made you think about how much you had left) because you could always switch to, say, the shotgun, which was eminently usable and tended to have lots of ammo for it lying around. If you even ran out of ammo for that, there was always the pistol, which made an OK weapon when silenced and combined with headshots + ninja tactics.

And of course the dragon sword made ammo much less of a concern when you got it. :P *slapslapSPLATTER* Sadly, DX2 didn't have it. Or it wasn't nearly as good, I forget which; it's been a while and I blocked the memories out.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Just watched the trailer.

Underwhelming.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

It had the Dragon Sword alright. It was just near the end of the game (

in the Hong Kong apartment in JC's artic base

), used the same model as the "energy katana," or whatever the fuck it was called, and was only a slight improvement over the base "energy" butterknife. I can't even remember if I bothered keeping it at that point, as I was still trying to avoid killing anyone (until I found out that DX2 didn't make an actual distinction between killing and knocking someone out).