The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex 3 teaser inside

Unstoppable

I agree with Cripsy on this issue; I wonder how much time, money and other resources were wasted in making this stupid teaser. Probably not much, it might only take a day for a skilled artist or whatever to pull it off; but it's just so wasteful when, as has already been said, a simple text message in the announcements section would probably have more panache. I would rather the developers spend that time and resources fixing bugs or improving gameplay. And as for hiring that wanker to do a voice-over, imo it bodes ill for the game.

Every damn hollywood blockbusta! trailer has that same twit trying to sound as impressive as he can in a deep voice, I seriously believe if you correlated using that guy(s) voiceover in the trailers of a film with the actual end quality of the film you'd probably get some startling results. I've always found that narration pointless and irritating.

I agree with you that Hollywood doesn't do good movie trailers anymore, but I think if they're done right, they can be exciting and stimulate a lot of interest in the product. Check out this one from 1979:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oYNvmNZP2o

Hands-down best trailer I've ever seen. To be fair, the movie only became a Hollywood blockbuster by accident, really it was more of a B-monster movie crossed with an oddball art film. But it was the advertising campaign that really made it successful.

Edited by thestemmer

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A trailer without a voiceover??? Nice!

Should be required study for all movie advertisers.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Still feels a bit too much like lip service. I would've agreed if he ragged on how bad IW just a little, or at least propped up the original over the sequel by a fair margin. I just hope Deus Ex 3 provides an epic scope, as that was a strong point that IMO made it superior to the claustrophobic, contained narratives from SS2/Bioshock. IIRC the original was a 30 hour game, and every hour, every minute felt qualified. Maybe thats just my preference for overt cyberpunk tales with major consequences inspired from the likes of GitS/Sprawl/Foucault's Pendulum, rather than the surrealism of Asimov-inspired crazed AI's.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

I think ragging on Deus Ex 2 while you're working on Deus Ex 3 would be akin to sinking your own boat. If someone from the DX3 dev team were to come right out and say "DX2 sucked", then:

1. They might annoy the developers who worked on DX2 (even if the developers agreed, they might not like to admit that something they worked so hard on didn't turn out so well). The gamedev industry isn't so disconnected from itself that you can get away with infighting without damaging your reputation.

2. The phrases "Deus Ex" and "sucked" would become more associated in the minds of people not familiar with the subject - by ragging on the one game, they'd damage the reputation of the whole franchise.

3. They'd annoy management and PR, unless they cleared it with them first. And neither group is likely to agree to something that negative-sounding.

I'll be really surprised if any of the dev team come out and say it. But I'd also be surprised if they weren't well aware of the mistakes DX2 made. They'll be keen to avoid them.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Of course they can't say that DX 2 sucked, but what they could say would be something like this: "We know Deus Ex 2 didn't agree so much with the original fans and we are planning to correct this, while maintaining the affection of new players."

I used this formulation, because a friend of mine, who didn't play Deus Ex 1 at all said that DX2 was a really nice game to him and not a dissappointment at all. I was never able to understand that oppinion, but after all, if you don't have any expectations, you can't get dissappointed either.

It's really hard to keep a certain quality of a series over the years. I think the only gameseries which managed to do so was Hitman! (and Duke Nukem of course ;) )

Still feels a bit too much like lip service.
Yeah, it does. Though it at least suggests that they may be aware of DX2's problems...

Of course they can't say that DX 2 sucked, but what they could say would be something like this: "We know Deus Ex 2 didn't agree so much with the original fans and we are planning to correct this, while maintaining the affection of new players."
That has a resemblance to this:
Everyone knows what worked well on the first one and what the second one tried, but now we're five years later, even seven years later from the first Deus Ex. I think we have the possibility to have a fresh look. I think the franchise is at a turning point in its life where new blood will be good, but also respect for the history of that great franchise.

(until I found out that DX2 didn't make an actual distinction between killing and knocking someone out).

ah funny, sounds like Thief 3, only you could always chuck the unconscious bodies in a fire or the sea and watch as legions of guards went in that general direction :laugh:

Bah, its too early in the morning for this....

• 2 weeks later...
I suggest you stop reading if you don't want it to be ruined for yourself.

Aye. Stopping now. :)

Without spoilers: Is it any good? Is your opinion of DX3 better or worse after reading it?

Actually, I guess I shouldn't be asking you - you'll be wildly enthusiastic about it no matter what it says. :P

Aye. Stopping now. :)

Without spoilers: Is it any good? Is your opinion of DX3 better or worse after reading it?

Actually, I guess I shouldn't be asking you - you'll be wildly enthusiastic about it no matter what it says. :P

There's nothing there, just more speculation as to whether DX3 will be a prequel or not. Must be a slow news day if they are bothering with 50/50 rumors. This early in development they can change their minds on a creative whim.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

I didn't watch the Deus Ex trailer, didn't really care for (did i play 1 or 2?)

Just commenting on the Alien trailer.

That trailer has one thing that most Hollywood trailers don't have anymore. Mystery and suspense. At first you think you're looking at the moon from different angles, then you see the egg. Everybody freaks out and it's weird and errie.

But they never show the Alien. That leaves the whole movie a mystery and makes you want to see it.

Anymore all the trailers show you all of the good parts of a movie, then you see the movie and are disappointed because you've already seen the good parts. I don't understand why they do that.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I never watch trailers anymore. If I ever go to the theatre (rare) I always cover my ears and look down and go "llalalalalalalallalalala" to myself during the trailers before the movie starts. I HATE getting spoiled by them, the marketing buttholes don't care about spoiling nearly everything.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I'm the exact opposite.

If a copy of the script gets released, I sometimes like to read it before I watch the movie so I know exactly what to look out for, and I can pay attention better (or if there's a book, I'll read the book before the movie). But it depends on the movie ... it works for good, complex stories, but there's not much point for an action movie.

Reading the script is fun enough, the story is just as fresh, but then it's fun to see how the story gets translated into film and the discovery happens all over again ... and I'll think "Oh, that's an interesting direction they took that", or "Oh ... they deleted a scene .... interesting", and then I'll feel like I have a little inside-track into the story that other people watching don't have, that makes the story come alive a little more because you know about things going on with the characters behind the scenes.

I've already read the script for Indiana Jones 4 and am interested in what direction the movie takes it ... I already know they've completely changed the main artifact they were after, but the first part should stay. But I also like to re-watch (good) movies over and over and try to get more out of them over time.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I didn't watch the Deus Ex trailer, didn't really care for (did i play 1 or 2?)

Just commenting on the Alien trailer.

That trailer has one thing that most Hollywood trailers don't have anymore. Mystery and suspense. At first you think you're looking at the moon from different angles, then you see the egg. Everybody freaks out and it's weird and errie.

But they never show the Alien. That leaves the whole movie a mystery and makes you want to see it.

Anymore all the trailers show you all of the good parts of a movie, then you see the movie and are disappointed because you've already seen the good parts. I don't understand why they do that.

I think the trailer to "I am Legend" does its job very well too. Here is a link to the streaming 720p trailer. It leaves the viewer wondering what actually happens in that movie and I became most impatient to see that movie and I really liked it, but it might not be everyone's style. Next to some written lines in the trailer, there is also a narration by the protagonist, which he is normally broadcasting via the radio, to explain at least a little of the film. So kind of a talkover, but not in a bad way.

I really loved the overall atmosphere of the film. The first glimpse at the trailer reminded me a little of the ruins in Stalker, but this movie is by far more impressive, than that crap game... ;)

EDIT: Sorry, it's not really a 720p trailer, the uploader was just too stupid to clarify it correctly. It's just 720 horizontal, not vertikal.

Edited by STiFU

• 3 weeks later...