The Dark Mod Forums

Debriefing statistics

STiFU

So, first of all, will the nice debriefing missionstatistics we all know even show up after each mission? It's always nice to have a look at those.

But now to the basis of this thread. I'd like to discuss what kind of things should be displayed in the statistics and I and a friend made some thoughts about that. Of course there should first be the basic statistics:

• KOed People
  • Killed People
  • Discovered bodies/corpses
  • Alerts; number of times detected
  • Pickpockets
  • Secrets
  • Special-loot-items
  • Playtime
  • Amount of Loot picked up
  • Damage dealt
  • Healing taken

The last two are not that important to me to be honest, but let's just stick to the roots here. :)

Three new ideas for the statistics:

1) So my friend said that you can never really tell if you ghosted the mission "perfectly" and so he had the idea that it would be nice to include the "highest AI-Alertstage" of a mission into the statistics and I can only support his idea. It would be really lovely...

2) Another thing I had in mind is something we already know from many other games, but mostly from the Hitman titles. Based on all the statistics, the player could get Mission-ratings like the "Silent Assassin" in Hitman (which is very close to ghosting) or "Butcher" if you dealt a lot of damage or killed many people. I guess many of you guys will probably reject this suggestion, but I for myself always get a blast when being rewarded with a nice title for my playing... :rolleyes:

3) Well, on this stage it starts to get complicated and I am assuming that it's not even possible to include this kind of statistics. This is supposed to be a completely new page comparable to the "Overall statistics" when playing a campaign, only these statistics inform the player about his general progress over ALL FMs he has played so far:

• KOed People per mission
  • Killed People per mission
  • Discovered bodies/corpses per mission
  • Alerts; number of times detected per mission
  • Playtime per mission
  • Damage dealt per mission
  • Healing taken per mission
  • Average AI-Alertstage
  • Amount of Loot picked up per mission
  • Pickpockets per mission
  • Secrets per mission
  • Speciallootitems per mission

The last 4 points should of course be given in percent. (It's obvious why, but I don't know how to explain myself right now) ;)

Especially that last point could become more interesting in the very late development of the mod, because you could start an online ranking-system with it. I am curious who of all the Thief-Players is the freakiest ghoster. Anyway, these are just open suggestions, but what do you think about them? :)

We break up the alerts by the specific alert state, we just need some good names for them, better than the numbers 0-4. :)

If nobody has any other ideas we could name the highest reached alert level after the sorts of things guards might say...

0: Quiet night.

1: Must've been rats.

2: Who's there? Is somebody there?

3: Come out, come out, wherever you are...

4: Alert! Lock down the exits!

Yeah, that's one option.

I was also thinking of something like:

Alerts:

Times your actions were just barely noticed: 5

Times you made the guards look around for a bit: 2

Times you let the guards know someone was definitely prowling around: 0

Times you were positively ID'd by the guards: 0

Those particular words aren't very good, but something along those lines.

I liked the newspaper -type debriefing in the latest Hitman. After a mission the game described how the mission went in a form of a newspaper article. Too bad our timeline won't allow this. And to make it feel diverse and realistic enough, it would need a lot of work. Maybe if it was some kind of city watch report?

"The taffer knocked out 3 guards and stole XXX worth of valuables. Guards spotted the thief, sounded the alarm but couldn't catch him. Praised be the builder, for no one got killed during the villain's attack."

I like the idea of an overall performance grade, since it rewards careful and skillful gameplay:

Grandmaster Thief: 0 KO's, 0 kills, max AI alert level 1, 90% loot.

Master Thief: 0-1 KO's, 0kills, max AI alert level 2, 80% loot.

[...]

Petty Thief: >5 KO's, 0 kills, max AI alert level 4.

Thug

Assailant: n KO's, >1 kills...

Murderer

Lunatic

Of course, these limits should be set by the mapper individally for a particlular mission.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I liked the newspaper -type debriefing in the latest Hitman. After a mission the game described how the mission went in a form of a newspaper article. Too bad our timeline won't allow this. And to make it feel diverse and realistic enough, it would need a lot of work. Maybe if it was some kind of city watch report?

"The taffer knocked out 3 guards and stole XXX worth of valuables. Guards spotted the thief, sounded the alarm but couldn't catch him. Praised be the builder, for no one got killed during the villain's attack."

That really only makes sense for particular missions. I don't think it's really worth the effort anyway.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Oh cool that it's already planned out. That last alert statistic is nice Ishtvan. No additions necessary.

But still: Performance reward would be awsome! And since you already got all the variables, probably not that much of a problem, but I don't want to demand anything here...

@Sotha : That is already mapper-configurable in Thief and ought to be easy to implement in Dark Mod. The debrief screen in Thief is a template mix of mapper-defined text and mission variables so it can say anything the mapper wants. Defaults would be set by TDM of course as your basic 'Loot Stolen : 1250 out of 1500' etc. but the words 'Loot Stolen : ' would be just changeable text in a template and 1250 would be a variable name so the mapper could change that line to 'An unknown thief looted Lord Dithersby's place last night to a value of 1250 gold pieces but fortunately he missed 250' etc and re-arrange the lines in any order. Even add story to that screen as I did to carry over to the next mission in a campaign.