The Dark Mod Forums

Is anyone else using Vista?

Jesus. SE and sparhawk, you're both blowing your differences out of proportion. I think we should all be able to agree that (A.) Vista support is important and (B.) we don't have the manpower to get everything done immediately. Now can we stop polluting this thread with arguments and let greebo do his thing? :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

This newest version - Debug13, WROKS!

I mean it works! Yay! \o/

Well done greebo. I don't know what was going on but I suspect that one of the other debug versions you gave had an aberrant file in because unzipping and overwriting to the old folder wasn't working. And I only tried a new folder once when you previously suggested it.

I blitzed the DarkRadiant folder and recreated it for this new unzip. Seems to be working now.

I'm going to experiment with the program later this evening.

Now where is that wiki/tutorial? And if the wiki is still down has anyone an old copy of the beginners tutorial for me plz?

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

I'll buy you a drink at The Dark Mod release party!

:D I'll come back to you on that, I promise. :)

@OrbWeaver: I haven't succeeded on setting up a MinGW build environment in Vista yet, I don't know whether this will be possible. Is building the next win32 release with VC++ 2005 under Vista an option? It seems to work in XP as well.

Can't say. Maybe some C-runtime libraries are not compatible when built in MinGW or VC++ in Windows (I think we tested both, haven't we?). The strange thing is that the Vista build still runs in XP though. So the short answer is probably "I don't know.". :)

@OrbWeaver: I haven't succeeded on setting up a MinGW build environment in Vista yet, I don't know whether this will be possible. Is building the next win32 release with VC++ 2005 under Vista an option? It seems to work in XP as well.

I'm quite happy to go to VC++ for all Windows builds provided that:

1. There is a free version of VC++ available that I can use for testing, producing releases etc.

2. The use of VC++ does not require non-standard workarounds in the code or preclude the use of standard C++ idioms and constructs.

1. There is a free version of VC++ available that I can use for testing, producing releases etc.

2. The use of VC++ does not require non-standard workarounds in the code or preclude the use of standard C++ idioms and constructs.

Both are fulfilled.

VC++ 2005 is freely available for download, but it's using a web-based installer. I think there is an offline installer somewhere, maybe even on the Darkmod FTP. It asks you to register using a Windows Live ID on the MS website within 30 days, but I just did that using my spam mail account. If you don't want to go through that you can use my account, it's not too great a hassle.

C++ standard is there, the DarkRadiant code runs perfectly fine, even with the MSVC STL implementation (now that I rewrote the GraphTreeModel). gcc4 is more strict, I believe, but the code is compatible as it seems.

(Btw: VC++ 2005 is likely to be replaced by VC++ 2008 in the mid-term future, which has been released a few weeks. Boost is not yet adapted to recognise the new compiler version (the libraries fail to link as well, I tried), but I guess the boost people will do that in due time.).

This is a download page for the VC++ 2005 Express Edition in English language:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/de-de/express/a...401(en-us).aspx

(The ISO image is about ~500 MB)

You'll also need the Platform SDK, which can also be downloaded somehwere (another ISO image). I can help you setting up the VC++ build environment, there are some non-trivial steps involved.

I can also download the image and extract the relevant files for you.

I'm currently uploading a RAR file (hopefully) containing the bare VC++ 2005 IDE installer. It's 67 MB and it lacks all the additional stuff. I hope that the installer doesn't complain about it, otherwise you'll have to go for the ISO.

edit: the path on the FTP is TheDarkMod/Files/msvc_2005_express.rar

The upload will take another hour from now, I'll leave it uploading overnight.

Additionally to that, you'll also need the Platform SDK.

edit: the path on the FTP is TheDarkMod/Files/msvc_2005_express.rar

The install does not work unfortunately.

th_27373_install_error_122_883lo.jpg

Looks like a missing file, although typically presented through the stupid "Missing disk" crap that Microsoft favours (as if we're all still installing software off a string of floppy disks).

Ok, I got the whole thing installed.

But, since I chose the "restart later" option I now have to manually complete the setup process.

The thing is I don't know which file to click on. When I click on the Setup.exe or Aut

orun.exe files it acts as though it wants to uninstall or reinstall the program.

~Daniel

The install does not work unfortunately.

th_27373_install_error_122_883lo.jpg

Looks like a missing file, although typically presented through the stupid "Missing disk" crap that Microsoft favours (as if we're all still installing software off a string of floppy disks).

Ah, crap, sorry, seems like you'll have to go for the ISO in this case. :(

Ok, I got the whole thing installed.

But, since I chose the "restart later" option I now have to manually complete the setup process.

The thing is I don't know which file to click on. When I click on the Setup.exe or Autorun.exe files it acts as though it wants to uninstall or reinstall the program.

So I gather you didn't restart since the install? What happens when you restart and run Visual C++ Express Edition from the start menu? This should work - if not you'll have to reinstall I guess.

Whoops! I totally forgot about running it t

hrough the Start menu. :blush:

Now I can't download the Platform SDK because the Windows validation tool keeps returning an error due to a "technical difficulty". <_<

Is there anyway someone can provide the SDK on the Darkmod FTP or something?

~Daniel

Here's the link to the SDK download page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Hm, I managed to download an ISO containing the Platform SDK back then (without validation). If nothing else helps, I can upload it to the FTP, but it's large (500 MB).

I'll see if I can dig up a download link for that.

I'm using this Platform SDK, it's a 400 MB ISO and this works.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

You don't need to install everything from that package, I'll edit this post with the settings.

edit: You can deselect everything except:

- Configuration Options (not sure about the child option Register Environment Variables, select that too)

- Microsoft Windows Core SDK

- Microsoft Data Access Services (MDAC) SDK

- Debugging Tools for Windows

Once you have the Platform SDK installed, you'll need to

- Open VC++ 2005

- Go to menu Tools > Options

- Go to Projects and Solutions > VC++ Directories

- Select "Show Directories for" Include files

- Add the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Include

- Select "Show Directories for" Library files

- Add the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Lib

- Then close VC++, go to the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\VCProjectDefaults

- Open the file corewin_express.vsprops using a text editor and replace the XML key with this

<Tool Name="VCLinkerTool" AdditionalDependencies="kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib" />