The Dark Mod Forums

Build BSP in DarkRadiant?

Xonze

Not sure if this is the place to post it, if it isn't, I am sorry. But my question is, and maybe I'm blind, but I'm having trouble finding where to rebuild BSP in DR editor so it'll run in Doom 3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Xonze

DarkRadiant cannot provide a built-in map compiler, as the source for the map/aas compiler is closed within the Doom3 engine. You'll have to build your map via the console (dmap).

For TDM, we recently established a client-server-connection between the editor and the engine to issue dmapping commands to the game, but this applies for the Mod only, not vanilla Doom3.

Not sure if this is the place to post it, if it isn't, I am sorry. But my question is, and maybe I'm blind, but I'm having trouble finding where to rebuild BSP in DR editor so it'll run in Doom 3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Xonze

You have to compile your map in doom 3 with the command line. The next release of DR will be able to interface with Doom 3 directly and send the command.

DarkRadiant cannot provide a built-in map compiler, as the source for the map/aas compiler is closed within the Doom3 engine. You'll have to build your map via the console (dmap).

For TDM, we recently established a client-server-connection between the editor and the engine to issue dmapping commands to the game, but this applies for the Mod only, not vanilla Doom3.

Well that makes sense, thank you very much for your help.

Xonze

You have to compile your map in doom 3 with the command line. The next release of DR will be able to interface with Doom 3 directly and send the command.

Just to clarify: the D3DR connection only applies for The Dark Mod. The Remote Call Framework is only present in our modified gamex86.dll.

The vanilla Doom3 doesn't provide the RCF interface.

Well for your help I thought I'd post some screens of the map that I've been working on for the past two days while trying to learn the editor.

mapsc3be9.th.jpg

mapsc1xr3.th.jpg

mapsc2zy9.th.jpg

I really like DarkRadiant so far, though I'm still learning it, it's a great editor imo, as good as Hammer and Dromed I think. (Then again dromed was a beast and I think I blocked out some of the bad memories lol)

Thanks again for your help, and I can't wait for the mod to come out!

Thanks,

Xonze

Nice work for a couple days, you have a knack.

(tiny nit-pick - sloped rooflines probably wouldn't come down to the backside of the tower walls like that. You may want to have the tower actually stand out separate, or, more likely, create some angled rooflines from the tower back to either rooftop. But seriously, this is very nit-picky and your work is good stuff there.)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Thanks guys,

Komag -yeah I agree, I was ad-libing this as I went, just trying to learn the different tools and how to do certain things in the editor. I might change it at some point if I continue working on this, since I learn a lot from doing just this little part.

BadCog- Thanks, and yeah dromed is was a mean editor, but I still love it lol

Sparhawk- Thanks!

STiFU- Well for the most part, some of them are from a texture cd I have and some I created from photos. I spent almost no time on the normal map, so it's kinda iffy in some places.

Fidcal- Thanks, I think working with Dromed for so many years gave me a pretty good understanding of the style of Thief. I hope to create some good maps, if I can finish anything lol.

Thanks,

Xonze

Sneaksiedave- Yup about two days(after work) on the map, spent some time before learning to add my own textures and the like. Apply for Beta mapping? How would I go about that?

Sotha- lol, I dunno that I rock, but thanks for the compliment. :D

Thanks,

Xonze

That's excellent work, especially considering you did it in two days while still learning the editor. :)

New Horizon is the guy to contact about applying for beta mapper status (or anything else). Email recruiting@thedarkmod.com or send a PM to New Horizon via these forums. Include a link to this thread so he has some context, and in case he hasn't seen those screenshots yet.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.