The Dark Mod Forums

Any way I can help?

Rabid_Kiwi

Actually, you can even have a single mesh mapped to more than one UVmap, but only one will be read (I discovered this by accident after several frustrating sessions of trying to alter a uvmap and seeing no difference on the model--turns out it was mapped to another uvmap as well).

I assume you're talking about a modelling app, not Doom 3 itself? I don't see how a Doom 3 model could reference more than one material at once, since only a single material name is read from the ASE/LWO.

3D apps do of course often allow more than one UV map, I believe Blender added this fairly recently.

D3 only references one of the uvmaps, (for a specific part of the mesh) but you actually could have more than one saved in the model file itself (with lwos, anyway).

(Note that there's no real point to having more than one uvmap, but it is technically possible)

Sweet :D

Out of curiousity Im rendering the normal maps in Doom, simply because Ive never done it that way before. The results are very nice, but I dont know the command for referencing a UV map to be normalmapped. Hints, tips? thanks.

O, and the texture is pretty low res. I dont suppose you have a pic of that mask in a higher res?

This might not matter as long as the mask itself remains small.

Still, its looking pretty choppy and I dont really want to tablet-paint a new one :D

Bah, its too early in the morning for this....

I doubt that you need to use the image of the mask itself. Any generic goldish texture would suffice.

I doubt that you need to use the image of the mask itself. Any generic goldish texture would suffice.

Still It'd be nice to retain some original textural quality. Dont worry about it, I'll figure something out ;)

Still need the UV command line for Doom tho

There are tuts at Doom3World forums and modwiki that will give you basic info on how uses textures and whatnot. Hopefully our Wiki is up soon.

In the mean time so you know, this is a shader file, that's how you set up the tex for in-game usage:

Obviously it's name is vase. I'm not sure how the paths work in Lightwave, I think it saves the path name?

3ds max ase files you can edit with notepad and to put this in a material slot it would look like //base/vase2

right below that is material type. The vase sounds like ceramic.

It doesn't cast shadows on itself (saves rendering performance, also - this mesh has a shadow mesh that is lower poly than the vase to save rendering performance. If you want an object to be moveable it needs a simple collision mesh too. very low poly shape like a cube or 5 sided cylinder...

below diffuse and spec if the code that makes things highlight for frobbing. This goes on all materials. Objects have a line that allows them to be frobbed or not. That is in the def file.

vase2
{
surftype15
description "ceramic"
//noselfshadow

[b] diffusemap[/b] models/darkmod/props/textures/vase2_d
specularmap models/darkmod/props/textures/vase1_s
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
	map		 _white
	rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	map		 models/darkmod/props/textures/vase2_d
	rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}
}

This is something I've been meaning to make a post about. Requirements to get an object in game so someone else doesn't have too. :D

We have caught up on most of the old objects so it'll be nice when all new objects are completely finished by the modelers themselves.

If you have Doom3 then I'd take a look at the modwiki (your friend google knows :) )

and actually get that mask in game.

Anyway, it looks good.

--I just lost a huge edit explaining the ins and out of modeling for doom. sorry I'm not going thru it again, this is good link though

doom3 dev

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Cool, discovered sometime back that the material file determines the uvmap, havent had a chance to try it yet tho.

Sorry, right now Im on a summer holiday and Ive just managed to find a computer.

You should expect me to be back here in about 2 weeks ;)

Enjoy your christmas all :D

• 4 weeks later...

Right so Ive been back for a few days now and finally managed to jump back into it ;)

Heres a question: How do I get the renderbump command to reference the objects UV map?

Whenever I run the command I get the default 1-sided map (which isnt even registered as a UVmap)

O Ive been tinkering a bit and learning more about the engine through various forums so Ive got the model in game, just really the normal maps that are causing the only issues. Ive already got a basic .mtr file that should work fine, soooo..

Hints, tips, tricks?

:D thanks

darkmod/st_lamppole
{
renderbump -size 512 1024 -aa 2 -trace 0.5 -colorMap darkmod/models/st_lamp_local.tga models/st_lamp_hi.ase
}

that's the render bump command material. darkmod/st_lamppole is the material name. That goes on your model (low poly) that is UV mapped. It tells the name of the map it will create and the name of the model used for rendering (hi poly - no uv map needed) of course size you want, -aa =anti aliasing, how smooth you want it at edges, -trace = how far apart the low poly faces are from high poly faces. I was getting alot of bad results, changed the trace to 0.1 and got alot better.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Arrrg

....its still not working lol, cant render a normal map using Doom

Ok so here's how it is:

All the following files are in this directory:"D:\My Games\Doom 3\base\darkmod\"

Brnz_Msk.tga

Brnz_Msk.lwo

Brnz_Msk_High.lwo

Brnz_Msk.mtr

The Brnz_Msk.mtr file contains the following:

darkmod/Brnz_Msk

{

renderbump -size 256 256 -aa 2 -trace 0.5 -colorMap darkmod/Brnz_Msk_High.lwo

}

The Brnz_Msk.tga is just a grey box (havent properly textured it yet)

Both .lwo files have materials named the following: darkmod/Brnz_Msk.tga (the path of the texture)

Anyway I type the following into the Doom 3 (Expansion) Console:

renderbump darkmod/Brnz_Msk.lwo

And I get the below image.

Heres hoping Im just a really big n00b :D

post-2142-1200345529_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

And still no reply, o well. Im teaching myself Mudbox and Maya now with me new Wacom so its ok lol.

Still, if somebody ever so graciously desceded from heaven and decided to answer my Noobish question, Id love to get back to working on the mod :unsure:

Sorry, I haven't seen your question until now.

Have you had a look at this: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Renderbump ?

I think you have a wrong extension in the -colorMap parameter and the model name is also missing.

I wrote that tutorial with Blender users in mind, but replace the .ase with .lwo and there you have the materials.