The Dark Mod Forums

Terry Pratchett has Alzheimer's

Macsen

No, I genuinely hate this shit.

[...]

Pathetic.

[...]

Selfish AND hypocrites, and you wonder why it irritates me so much.

[...]

I generally do not behave in the same way, or even think in the same way as others.

I despise the very idea of behaving in the same socially programmed way as the masses.

[...]

The fact is that ignorant, thoughtless people are the happiest in the world, and 'grumpy' people tend to be people who think about things, because when you actually think about things, and see things for real, and don't just float though life ignoring everything you don't want to see, you realise it's all a big heap of shit.

You seem to be so full of hate and negative attitude that you could burst any minute. Have you ever considered that you don't generally behave in the same way as others because you appear to have a generally more negative personality?

Normal people are not nearly as hostile as you appear to be. It's better to be a 'strongly individual' person than an 'abnormal' one. You even attempt to use your hostility to make you seem clever and the rest of the world 'ignorant', that is hardly enlightened behavior in my view.

It's actually rather sad. I truly feel sorry for you, as I can only imagine how dark and terrible it might feel to think the way you do. But still I'm truly happy that I'm not like you and there are no people like you among my friends.

You may attach The Hypocrite sticker on me if you want.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My, I didn't want to be my first post in this forum to be in the Off-Topic-part, but whatever.

I'm highly recognized as very different from my surroundings and when I start talking about social topics nearly noone is implying I would have a commoc attitude to life. Most people just stare down on me, stamping me as unrealistic, because altruism doesn't work, while they don't realize that I don't like idealism or doctrinism nor I believe in altruism. I just thought a little bit further, I think. Or came to different conclusions while thinking, you know, I really can't tell, if my brain works right. If it does not it would be hard for me to find out.

Um, to the point: Only because of that I don't get grumpy. I come along with most people, because my difference doesn't make me superior (thats what you are implying, oddity). I can get along with them although they have totally different attitudes to life.

I just think you are just self-righteous and need some excuse for complaining about people. Only because they are different from you and because they seemingly don't think (you know, it seems everyone is complaining exactly about that) they don't have to be wrong. How can you tell, when you aren't talking to them?

And sorry if my English is not the best. It's just not my motherlanguage.

And I fully egoistically am sad about Terry Pratchett having Alzheimer.

And I am sorry for everyone having Alzheimer, but it just would be much too much work to make a list of all those people. You know, instead I can do other things that are more helpfull.

Edited by Antsan

If my English is bad I am very sorry. It's not my mother tongue.

oDDity, it's a mistake to think that just because people don't go around being cynical and complaining means they blithely accept the world around them. Also, that the company of people you don't agree with irritates you just means you don't get on well with people. I don't agree with most people, including family members, and have little in common with some friends. My job involves talking to some people whose views I find abhorrent. But I can still find some common ground and, if not be friends, than at least 'get on' and be polite.

The tone of the definition of course. Abnormality has a negative ring to it and a strongly individual sounds better.

Well yeah, obviously, but I assume if you say "It's better to be X than Y" you are suggesting that there is something you can do to be an X rather than a Y. What labels other people choose to give to you is up to them (and in this world, the label for strongly individualistic people is very commonly "abnormal").

(and in this world, the label for strongly individualistic people is very commonly "abnormal").

I disagree. :)

"Strongly individualistic" can still mean something positive. You can get along with poeple very well, but you are hard to convince. This is very different from being "abnormal" which IMO defines a very negative way of being "individualistic". Somebody can be perfectly normal in his interactions and still be individual, while with the term "abnormal" I can't really see this.

Gerhard

"Strongly individualistic" can still mean something positive.

You know that. I know that. But trying telling that to the legions of conformist dumbfucks out there, some of whom are in positions of power or authority, who believe that anybody who dares to think for themselves is a dangerous deviant who needs to be controlled and suppressed for the Common Good.

I disagree. :)

"Strongly individualistic" can still mean something positive. You can get along with poeple very well, but you are hard to convince. This is very different from being "abnormal" which IMO defines a very negative way of being "individualistic". Somebody can be perfectly normal in his interactions and still be individual, while with the term "abnormal" I can't really see this.

You're not an individual though, you're the typical average grey man, indistinguishable from everyone else around you. Everything about you is average. You're an average office worker with an average wife, a average house, an average car, 2.4 average children. You live an almost identical life to the average person, and would be considered typical by any advertising agency.

You've never had a thought in your life that was outside the collective Borg consciousness, and more than that, you can't even fathom what that kind of thinking is.

You're idea of individualism is wearing bright orange Nike's to work one day.

Being a strong individual does not mean simply having a minority point of view on topical issues such as the Euro, that's the sort of small time thinking which you consider makes you individual.

For me, it actually means having a fundamentally different way of thinking about almost everything, about life itself. Looking at the very nature of why people think in certain ways. The fact that a lot of that thought comes up as negative, is perhaps more an indictment of life and the way it's conducted, than a flaw in the methodology.

That's not to say that all social norms are wrong, some of them make sense, but a lot of them don't and need rethinking.

In the meantime, anyone who doesn't follow them is (quite rightly) considered strange.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

oDDity, it's a mistake to think that just because people don't go around being cynical and complaining means they blithely accept the world around them. Also, that the company of people you don't agree with irritates you just means you don't get on well with people. I don't agree with most people, including family members, and have little in common with some friends. My job involves talking to some people whose views I find abhorrent. But I can still find some common ground and, if not be friends, than at least 'get on' and be polite.

In other words, you're putting on a nice little social act every time you go out.

I can't be bothered with that nonsense. Be who you are.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

You're idea of individualism is wearing bright orange Nike's to work one day.

:laugh:

Being a strong individual does not mean simply having a minority point of view on topical issues such as the Euro, that's the sort of small time thinking which you consider makes you individual.

I haven't talked about an specifics, I made a general statement.

For me, it actually means having a fundamentally different way of thinking about almost everything, about life itself. Looking at the very nature of why people think in certain ways. The fact that a lot of that thought comes up as negative, is perhaps more an indictment of life and the way it's conducted, than a flaw in the methodology.

You know, I always find it quite funny, when people start to brag about their individualism, while all they do is being quite normal. :) I can see the same trend in my daughter which starts to get into her puberty. She also thinks she needs to be "different" while at the same time she doesn't realize that this is a perfectly ordinary process. Well, of course she doesn't know better, so that's ok. One would assume though that an old man like you are beyond that stage finally. It's always quite fun to watch these people. The try do things differently in many different ways, some of them being grumpy like you, and all the time thinnk that they are kind of "different" while they act perfectly in the range of the normal behaviour, even though they may not be in the exact middle of it. :)

It takes a lot more to be original or different, then just acting offensive, strange or whatever you think it means. And you can't cover up your rudeness as a philosophical stance claiming to be superiour because you thought what nobody else thought before, because you didn't. ;)

I still haven't decided though, wether you are genuine, or just one of the many blokes who use the internet as their theater where they can act what they do not dare to in real life.

Gerhard

In other words, you're putting on a nice little social act every time you go out.

Not at all, I'm quite uniquely myself at all times, I just don't let that manifest itself as a feeling of resentment and hate towards those around me. So you don't get on with people who are different from you, and yet complain that everyone is the same? So you'd prefer it if everyone was like you, but... then they'd still all be the same, wouldn't they?

So tell us oDDity, what are these amazing induvidual thoughts you've had that we couldn't even being to comprehend because we're all so narrow minded and grey?

I think somebody needs hugs, lots of them. But I think hugs are pathetic touchy feely things that should be left to girls and sissies so that person will get none from me. ;)

I am in no way an 'idol worshipper' but I do respect other peoples work. I respect oDDity's modelling and I respect the fact that Terry has written alot of books that must be pretty good, I'll have to read one as I have a hard time finding books that I like. (Especially since he liked Crom's Blade :D ) Sure, I think it's cool that someone 'famous' played at least one of my FM's.

I also have empathy for people who get sick and have a hard time in life. Guess that's just a humane way to be. Nobody likes being sick and certianly not having a serious disease. I really don't care who it is, could be some mean jackass nobody's ever heard of.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Not at all, I'm quite uniquely myself at all times, I just don't let that manifest itself as a feeling of resentment and hate towards those around me. So you don't get on with people who are different from you, and yet complain that everyone is the same? So you'd prefer it if everyone was like you, but... then they'd still all be the same, wouldn't they?

I don't know what you mean by 'get on with'. I have business and other formal relationships with people to get things done (I mostly tolerated you guys for a few years here)

I don't see how 'get along with' in the sense of 'getting drunk with them in a pub' or 'kicking a ball around a field' is of any relevance.

So tell us oDDity, what are these amazing induvidual thoughts you've had that we couldn't even being to comprehend because we're all so narrow minded and grey?

Well, this topic has kicked off becasue of my differing views on the way the sort of information that you so blithely posted here should be handled. Everyone else immediately goes into automatic 'aww that's sad' mode, without even thinking about it. Social programming. These aren't your own thoughts at all, they're just a little program in your brains.

I'm sure if you read back through the many threads I've taken part in, you'll see many other examples like this one. I don't keep a list.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I also have empathy for people who get sick and have a hard time in life. Guess that's just a humane way to be. Nobody likes being sick and certianly not having a serious disease. I really don't care who it is, could be some mean jackass nobody's ever heard of.

And as I've said, your empathy is useless unless you turn it into real help, which you can't and won't for Pratchett, so keep your useless empathies to yourselves. They serve no purpose other than to fill a few forum posts.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Empathy is just a normal feeling though. Why must it be "worth" anything, why does it need to make a difference?

Will you be upset when your parents die? Or is that another worthless emotion that does nothing to help?

People feel something, whatever it may be, when people like Pratchett announce things like this because it really affects them - no matter how small that effect is. And there is a perfectly normal reason for this; this is an individual who has written books that some people here have liked enough to go and meet the guy. These people spent time reading those books, enjoyed the experience enough to plan and travel to meet the author. Whatever you may feel about fake grief (and I, for the record, don't consider it real grief but a twinge of compassion) this man did something that has changed these people's lives, no matter how small that change is.

I don't think you are being purposefully obscure oDDity, but you have a slightly odd view of relationships and societal norms.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

I take the time to talk op people that commonly are seen as "normal". Some of them are really just normal, but most start to think, if you give them a chance. Only because you are to self-centered to realize most people can think for their own. And that's sad, because you miss a whole world of information an opinion. You don't have to adapt it, but you can think about it. Extelligence is very powerful, you know?

And as I've said, your empathy is useless unless you turn it into real help, which you can't and won't for Pratchett, so keep your useless empathies to yourselves. They serve no purpose other than to fill a few forum posts.

Feelings are a part of your individual self. Okay, it's your concern what you feel, but you shouldn't think that your truth is the only truth. That's not deep, thats arrogant. And I can understand a need for expressing feelings (and normal feelings aren't unnatural ones) and I don't think it's wrong to express them here.

Ironically it seems most of your posts tend to lean towards:

"Why are you wasting time posting this?"

So I ask, why do you waste time/forum threads/whatever posting that?

I enjoy arguing. It's nice to take little breaks from sculpting to argue now and again.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Empathy is just a normal feeling though. Why must it be "worth" anything, why does it need to make a difference?

Will you be upset when your parents die? Or is that another worthless emotion that does nothing to help?

Of course. One already has died, and all my grandparents. I believe there is nothing but non-existence after death, and therefore, to spend any time grieving for a dead person is pointless. Grief is selfishly motivated, its all about how the death relates to you personally, it's not about the dead person. They're dead, they don't exist, and that's that. Due to the fact I feel no need to form close relationships with people, their deaths don't affect me, and so I have no reason for the selfishly motivated 'how does this death affect me' grief that the rest of you wallow in on such occasions. Get over it.

I've never attended a funeral. The most pointless ceremony ever devised in my opinion.

As for me becoming terminally ill, the only thing that would make it worse would be getting pity and empathy from others.

People feel something, whatever it may be, when people like Pratchett announce things like this because it really affects them - no matter how small that effect is. And there is a perfectly normal reason for this; this is an individual who has written books that some people here have liked enough to go and meet the guy. These people spent time reading those books, enjoyed the experience enough to plan and travel to meet the author. Whatever you may feel about fake grief (and I, for the record, don't consider it real grief but a twinge of compassion) this man did something that has changed these people's lives, no matter how small that change is.

No. I've read most of the discworld books, and enjoyed them, but I wasn't changed by them, It's just a bit of light entertainment for a few hours. I don't see how anyone could have been 'changed' by them.

As you say, your 'sadness' is all about you, all about the fact you might not have any more books to read.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Due to the fact I feel no need to form close relationships with people, their deaths don't affect me, and so I have no reason for the selfishly motivated 'how does this death affect me' grief that the rest of you wallow in on such occasions. Get over it.

I want you to know how much fun you are missing. Okay, how much fun I think you are missing. And if it just was laughing about their dumbness (because appereantly all people except you are dumb).

I don't see how anyone could have been 'changed' by them.

And because they didn't change you they can't change anyone. Okay, thats great. So everyone isl ike you, or not?

Wait, maybe I am just different from you. Simple example: Once I believed AI (which passes the Turing-Test) would be a threat to society. Just stupid morals without a logical background I found out later. I could have learned without Pratchett of course, but his book "Die Gelehrten der Scheibenwelt" (sorry, don't know the English name) was a good starting point. And of course that's only a small example.

As for me becoming terminally ill, the only thing that would make it worse would be getting pity and empathy from others.

This topic isn't abput you. And if someone starts to get all pity abput you when you're going to die you can complain.

I would get worried if I was seriously ill and no one would care.

Empathy IS a selfish reaction, as is every other human emotion (or at the very least, it can't be successfully argued otherwise). Hell, even "Friends" had an episode devoted to that, so it's not exactly on the frontier of original thinking.

It's always good for netting a few, though.