The Dark Mod Forums

2 ideas: Notes and camera center

Here's two ideas I thought would be very helpful for mappers.

1) Being able to place text in orthographic views. The purpose of this would be to create visible labels for entities which affect the map as a whole. An example is environmental ambient lighting. To make ambient lighting you just need one light. The issue is that if in the future, you want to change your ambient lighting you have you find where you placed the light. It can be very difficult if your map is large and full of entities to find the environmental light.

2) Center orthographic views where the camera is located. Is this already implemented? If it is, I'm unaware of it, if it isn't, we should implement it because it would make things a lot easier.

1) Being able to place text in orthographic views. The purpose of this would be to create visible labels for entities which affect the map as a whole. An example is environmental ambient lighting. To make ambient lighting you just need one light. The issue is that if in the future, you want to change your ambient lighting you have you find where you placed the light. It can be very difficult if your map is large and full of entities to find the environmental light.

Note that you can give most entities names (except func_statics containing of child primitives). This makes it pretty easy to locate them in the Entity List, imo.

2) Center orthographic views where the camera is located. Is this already implemented? If it is, I'm unaware of it, if it isn't, we should implement it because it would make things a lot easier.

When you select things and hit Ctrl-TAB to switch an orthoview, it gets centered at the selection. If nothing is selected, the orthoview should go to the camera position, if I recall correctly. Can you try this out?

Note that you can give most entities names (except func_statics containing of child primitives). This makes it pretty easy to locate them in the Entity List, imo.

When you select things and hit Ctrl-TAB to switch an orthoview, it gets centered at the selection. If nothing is selected, the orthoview should go to the camera position, if I recall correctly. Can you try this out?

Ahh I never thought about the naming, that's a good idea. But for the centering, I work with 3 ortho views and when you hit ctrl + tab it centers on the camera but it also changes the view to the next xy, zy, or zx view which isn't quite what I meant.

Ok, so you basically want to center all existing views on the camera location? I guess I can put that in fairly quickly.

Wait a minute: Can you try assigning a shortcut to this command: CenterXYViews? It also focuses all views to the "focus position" (= seleciton or camera, if nothing is seleced).

edit2: I noticed it's already assigned to Ctrl-Shift-TAB by default. :)

Ah, very nice, Ctrl-Shift-Tab works great for me as well, using "Split" view (Dromed Style).

Never tried renaming any entities before now. Pretty easy and definitely very useful. I noticed the Entity list sorts alphabetical, but with Capitalized first, A-Z, and only THEN lowercase a-z, a bit odd to me.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif