The Dark Mod Forums

The physics power of the Crytec engine (Crysis)

Subjective Effect

Yeah, I like the comment that said something like if you want to make a game about hurricanes ripping through crate factories on small islands, then have we got an engine for you!

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yeah the Crysis physics truely are amazing. Have a close look at these two screenshots I made... :D I am not quite sure, but it could be that I had physics on medium for testing purposes when making these, but it's hilarious anyway... =)

crysisphysicsbugak1.th.jpg crysisphysicsbug2tr4.th.jpg

My friend told me exactly the same thing yesterday, also adding that it becomes kinda boring when the aliens apear, which is kind of similar to Farcry. I didn't play it really so far, because I got demoralised by the fact, that I can't run it on full detail properly. I mean I play worse looking games too, but if I can play it on a higher level of detail, I want to do that and nothing less.

After tweaking it a little I got nearly all the nice effects besides object motion blur running under direct x 9, which almost doubled FPS in comparison to vista, but I still got only 26 FPs in average and that feels a lot to slow because of that extreme motion blur, I think. And of course in action scenes it can drop down a lot again. I also didn't play it in my monitors native solution, but one step below (1440 x 900), which was also good because it ends up in blurring the screen a little and was kinda a fake of alpha to coverage... ;) So where you capable to play it on "maximum" details? If so, what are your specs?

(I could possibly reduce the resolution even more, but the problem with that is, that nVidia still didn't fix that geforce 8800 gts scaling bug under xp. So right now, I can't use any 16:10 resolutions on my 16:10 monitor in the proper aspect ratio, not to talk about 4:3 resolutions. There should be a fix, that comes with temporarily disabling hdcp support, which I don't need so far, but it didn't work on my sys again, aparently. So in the end, I guess I'll just have to buy a new GFX card sometime...) <_<

I don't think even the XBox 360 can handle it. My rig struggled with the final scene in the demo at high settings; Core 2 Duo 6600, 2GB RAM, GTS 8800 320MB. There are only 1 or 2 cards more powerful than this at the moment, or an SLI setup. How is the 360 going to handle that?

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

well, one thing is that it's apples and oranges, because consoles are so different and streamlined and such. I'm not sure where you can draw the line - 360 versions of Bioshock, Fear, Orange Box all look extremely excellent like their PC counterparts.

But another thing is that it might end up looking like the PC version on medium-high settings, not the highest. That would be fine with me, let them do all the tweaking and perfecting and give me a version that just works good and that I don't have to mess with.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I can by no means run the game on good settings (I run it on medium settings, 800x600, directx9 mode, and it's definitely playable even if it crawls to 15fps sometimes. It still looks amazing), but I like the idea of leaving the max graphical settings several years ahead of the current hardware existing at the time of release. I imagine it's hard to swallow for those who spend several hundred a year on their PC and expect the best of results with their "best of the best" hardware, though.

But still, considering the fact that most of the levels take place on a gigantic island (or several mile large stretch of one) with hundreds of destructable, physics objects; numerous AI (I can remember several small villages in the game having at least 35 AI, not including all of those patrolling in the rest of the level); and the best graphics ever realized in a game on both an aggregate and discrete level, I think it runs pretty well even on today's hardware.

(By the way, with a simple config-file alteration, you can get most of the directx10 effects running on directx9)

My only disappointment with the game has to be the fact that with such an amazing engine, they could have done a lot more creative things. In this respect, it had a "techdemo-ish" feel. With that aside, though, it felt like I was in a movie experience.

I cannot wait to see what mods come out of this. Here are a few that have really caught my eye (one is Lost World Returns, the other is Obsidian Edge 2)

ingame2.jpg

screencapture_consulate_02h832.jpg

screencapture_consulate_01a633.jpg