The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod Pre-Beta Download links and discussion.

New Horizon

Here's a video made by me with gamma@1.2 (XviD+Lame MP3)

I haven't seen the video, but please keep in mind that the map we released is quite tiny, so posting a video might spoil the mission for others.

Great work, now it's time for "tune" the mod and make it THE mod of the 2008! :)

P.S.: the audio in my video is poor because of Fraps channels remapping, in game it's perfect ;)

:)

P.S.S.: the loading screen is not very "in theme" imho: i suggest to remain close to the menu GREAT style: i really love it!

I am not sure if the progress bar in the loading screen can be really changed, but it would certainly be preferable to make it more "steampunk" like. And yes, I think the menu design is great - love the music :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I changed my post with "spoiler" tag and with an explicite advise :D

The loading screen i told is the MISSION (the one with the red letters) loading screen ;)

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Nice work guys!! I also enjoyed the soundtrack a lot and the menus are stylish too. The possibility to turn the junkobjects is plain funny, will you implement corpse turning too?? xD You could fit a body perfectly into a locker then.... ;)

You really need to make the whole thing a lot darker ;) .

Are you going to replace some of the lower resolution textures? Some textures are really beautiful, but others damn hurt my eyes 

. Even without Compressing..

You could ask John P to contribute some of his High Res Textures. :D He also made textures for T2X and the wonderful alternate T3 textures. :wub:

And btw.: A huge THANK YOU to everyone involved in this for making this awesome mod!

You really need to make the whole thing a lot darker ;) .

Are you going to replace some of the lower resolution textures? Some textures are really beautiful, but others damn hurt my eyes . Even without Compressing..

You could ask John P to contribute some of his High Res Textures. :D He also made textures for T2X and the wonderful alternate T3 textures. :wub:

And btw.: A huge THANK YOU to everyone involved in this for making this awesome mod!

I don't think John. P is interested in doing a lot of textures anymore, he was pretty burned out. :) We have a lot of talented texture artists, and I don't think we really have a lot of low res textures. You might just be playing with the default settings we released under to help lower end systems.

Not sure if you saw my previous post...but...

Change these settings to use the textures uncompressed.

seta image_useNormalCompression "0" - currently 2

seta image_useCompression "0" - currently 1

That was wonderful. I'm glad you guys are calling this a "pre-beta demo" test, though ;)

My only complaint that I fear will not be changed is the head-bobbing of Garrettoid: it seems like he's knock-knead, trudging about like that. Also, mantling that sill made me go up-up-up way too often.

Arg, damn all you people who's games are working, im crashing horrably!

The game loads up perfectly fine and i can look around, fire arrows, swing my sword,e ect but the moment i take a step forward i hear the clicking of my heels and the game either crashes and tells me there has been a serious VPU crash or freezes my computer and emits a awful screech from my headphones untill i restart. I own a legal copy of doom 3 and my system far surpasses the minimum specs.

Any ideas :unsure:

Arg, damn all you people who's games are working, im crashing horrably!

The game loads up perfectly fine and i can look around, fire arrows, swing my sword,e ect but the moment i take a step forward i hear the clicking of my heels and the game either crashes and tells me there has been a serious VPU crash or freezes my computer and emits a awful screech from my headphones untill i restart. I own a legal copy of doom 3 and my system far surpasses the minimum specs.

Any ideas :unsure:

uhh...possession? :blink:

@ new horizon: I saw your previous Post :P Hmm. Maybe this picture will help to explain:

shot00007dt5.th.jpg

The floor stones look awesome, the dirt and the wood are ok, but the wall.. I don't know, it just don't fit. It looks blured, and somehow like it's taken from t2.

This is not the only one, but i don't want to be the moaner. Maybe we just disagree of how a modern game should look. Don't get me wrog, i still love the job you all do here.

@ new horizon: I saw your previous Post :P Hmm. Maybe this picture will help to explain:

shot00007dt5.th.jpg

The floor stones look awesome, the dirt and the wood are ok, but the wall.. I don't know, it just don't fit. It looks blured, and somehow like it's taken from t2.

This is not the only one, but i don't want to be the moaner. Maybe we just disagree of how a modern game should look. Don't get me wrog, i still love the job you all do here.

The reason is that not all the textures in the demo are of the highest resolution/quality.

Part of this is to keep the download size small (it was quite big for such a short mission anyway), part of that is to keep the used texture memory small, and part of it was that we just run out of time.

We have highres versions of many textures, still some might need to be re-done, but there was simply not enough time to do everything at once. Sorry. :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

The reason is that not all the textures in the demo are of the highest resolution/quality.

Part of this is to keep the download size small (it was quite big for such a short mission anyway), part of that is to keep the used texture memory small, and part of it was that we just run out of time.

We have highres versions of many textures, still some might need to be re-done, but there was simply not enough time to do everything at once. Sorry. :)

Well, at last it sounds like there gonna be improvements. :)

To keep the used texture memory small, you could implement a texture-quality adjuster in the video-settings.

(Irgendwas sagt mir, dass ich den Satz sprachlich total verhunzt hab..)

Congratulations on the release guys.

It looks great. Really immersing even for its small size.

I don't worry about the few off textures and sounds and fx and tweaks here and there ... that's the sort of thing that seems easiest to brush up, just takes time.

I cross my fingers for the AI coding, though ... Hope you find some help on the workload for that, like you were looking for.

One thing I noticed different from Fidcal's A-Z tutorial

he put bars over the sewer so you couldn't dive in for a swim

, but I have to admit it was more appropriate to the mission anyway. It's great that it was really a self-contained little mission, start to finish.

edit: after reading about the walking speed issue, the PC seems sluggish, I'm thinking at root is really the missing head-bob and step cadence of the camera, so it's a feeling of movement and not the speed per se that's the issue (considering the speed was matched to Thief.)

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

That was an excellent slice of the mod. The main feeling I came away with after playing the Den was that I wanted to play more :)

The ambient lighting and use of light sources was exceptional, especially the diffuse lighting from the candle you can carry. The ambient sound fx were great, though the rain was a little loud. That cat scared the bejesus outta me :P

Some minor criticisms/suggestions from what I noticed:

- When frobbing a body to drag it, I kept letting go of the body if I looked away from it.

- The font in the menus is a little hard to make out considering the grainy parchment paper it’s written on. A little bolder and one pt larger would be good IMO.

- The icons for the weapons should fade to a smaller, translucent indicator after a few seconds of staying with a selected weapon.

- The menu theme music feels less like Thief and more like Agatha Christie. It did start to grow on me as I was fiddling with settings, and ultimately I can swap the ogg files anyways.

- There was no….I dunno its technical term….. square metal scope for the bow, plus I could not retrieve my rope arrows

- The walking speed should be a little bit faster.

- Sound propagation seems off. When I closed the front door, the heavy sounding rain from outside was completely gone.

- Backdoor kept opening by itself after I close it.

- Where is the post mission breakdown? I’m assuming the template for it will be available to mapmakers.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

- When frobbing a body to drag it, I kept letting go of the body if I looked away from it.

Plus if you are still carrying it while you go up the ladder you can drag it around a bit even at the top of the ladder. :laugh:

I had no trouble retrieving my rope arrows; it's just near impossible to see the frob light (if it exists at all yet for arrows?).

I also experienced the mysterious door-opening after I closed it and walked out.

All in all, though, excellent work, guys. I'm impressed.

I have also few suggestions:

- We must wait to finish animation of lean to change direction of lean.

- The same with weapon, when we choose sword we must wait to finish animation "take sword" than klik and wait while "take off animation" is over than the bow is take. When we chosing new weapon the last ones animations shoud stop and switch to another.

- Useless aniamtion of menu position - that fade in of words. Always i must wait to load all words in menu. Second is that we can click menu positions before its load in - looks like bug.

- Walking speed is to slow.

- Height of moment when player climb up is to low. it shoud be switch to climb exacly when the jump in is imposible for a player, not faster.

- Always run dont work (i try to set it from config file).

- Bloom efect dont work

- When i play sometimes menu dont open after cliking Esc.

- it is posible to make one button for Frob and Use item (like in old thiefs ?).

- We must wait to finish animation of lean to change direction of lean.

This is a known bug, and not an easy one to fix.

- The same with weapon, when we choose sword we must wait to finish animation "take sword" than klik and wait while "take off animation" is over than the bow is take. When we chosing new weapon the last ones animations shoud stop and switch to another.

:huh:

- Useless aniamtion of menu position

:blink:

- Walking speed is to slow.

The walk speed is exactly the same as Garrett's.

- Height of moment when player climb up is to low. it shoud be switch to climb exacly when the jump in is imposible for a player, not faster.

Again: :huh:

- Always run dont work (i try to set it from config file).

This is a problem with Doom 3.

- Bloom efect dont work

I have no clue why this is. Bloom works for me, but then, I haven't tested the released version. It's probably as simple as having forgotten to include the shader.

- When i play sometimes menu dont open after cliking Esc.

Could you give some more detail? I haven't encountered this particular bug.

I have no clue why this is. Bloom works for me, but then, I haven't tested the released version. It's probably as simple as having forgotten to include the shader.

That would be my fault, I saw the shaders are included but never tested them. Sorry.

I agree with the menu fade in, tho. It looks very nice if you just let it fade in, but if you try to click (impatiently) the menu buttons, the fade gets in the way - it still continues but you can click the button anyway, making it looking very odd.

However, I think it will be quite hard and a hassle to make the fade-in speed up as soon as you move the mouse over it. It is probably not worth the time to fix this.

However, I think it will be quite hard and a hassle to make the fade-in speed up as soon as you move the mouse over it. It is probably not worth the time to fix this.

I think we had planned to implement something that would skip the fade if the user clicked the mouse. I have no idea how much work that is, however. It's a pretty minor issue and not worth a lot of effort, IMO.

Could you give some more detail? I haven't encountered this particular bug.

When i play and push Esc i only see background of menu, sometimies background with paper on right but when its happen i cant use menu options, its doesnt exist. That bug i have only few timies, not always.

I agree with the menu fade in, tho. It looks very nice if you just let it fade in, but if you try to click (impatiently) the menu buttons, the fade gets in the way - it still continues but you can click the button anyway, making it looking very odd.

That i wanna say, sorry for my english.

About that weapon animation suggestion i try to tell about it more corectly in english.

Its almost the same like with that lean problem.

Example: using mouse scroll i change from blackjack to bow. Sword is between and i must wait for animation to take sword to a hand than take sword back. First: sword animations are to long, second: it shoud be able to switch faster between weapons. When player taking sword to hand and in this moment i swith to another weapon that animation shoud stop and switch to new one. Mabey its more realistic but not comfortable.

First: sword animations are to long, second: it shoud be able to switch faster between weapons. When player taking sword to hand and in this moment i swith to another weapon that animation shoud stop and switch to new one.

This isn't intentional, we're simply short on animators right now and haven't had time to fix it. It's on the list.

- The menu theme music feels less like Thief and more like Agatha Christie. It did start to grow on me as I was fiddling with settings, and ultimately I can swap the ogg files anyways.

Well, it is not Thief, so we're cool here... :) I really like the theme, because it's very atmospheric and produced very professional (The speedchanges are a delight). I can see though, that a more subtle ambient soundtrack like random machinery-/steamsounds would be more suitable as a menutheme, since we are going to fire up the menu veeeeery often and music is always very repetitive on the long term. A soundtrack like this one is cool for the creds, an intro, or a cutscene, and especially the latter. A very good compromise would be to make the first 30 seconds just soundeffects and then let slow let the nice soundtrack set in.

What I also really like are the resolution of the textures on the first person weapons. Those look really nice already and I think the animation of puting the sword back into the sheath is realistic. But I'm ok too with making it a little faster... ;)

I just wanted to chime a bit on the player speed issue. I believe the entire problem arises from the fact that in T1/2/3 you by default run, and only hold modifier to walk or creep. In TDM you walk by default and use modifier to run. I think we should change this to be like T1/2/3.

I suspect some folks just played Thief's Den and moved around normally and thought it was full speed. I'm sure a FEW folks know about run and still think it's too slow, but I bet they are the minority.

I've tested the speed issue extensively, similar to NH's tests, and it is exactly scaled the same as T1/2

I also read about the head bob issue being a possible cause of slow feeling. That sounds weird to me, but I suppose we'll be testing and tweaking various head-bob settings before final release.

I would just suggest to everyone that the mod is in VERY capable good hands, and to trust that the final outcome will be very well tweaked and perfected, and even if something is not the way you like in the end it's easy to change stuff.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif