The Dark Mod Forums

Does TDM work with the Doom 3 expansion CD?

Macsen

I reinstalled Doom 3 a while ago but realised I'd lost the manual with the CD key on it. This hasn't affected the Dark Mod because when I load a mission from the console it works without the key. But in future it could be a pain to have to load every mission from the console rather than go through the Dark Mod's new menu.

Rather than buy Doom 3 again just to get the CD key I was thinking about buying the expansion pack, just so that I haven't completely wasted my money. So my question is, can you play the Dark Mod with the CD from the expansion pack, or only the standard Doom 3 CD?

I guess in that case (you already bought a version of doom 3) you could possibly just "get" yourself another key "somehow" and block Doom's access to the internet, so it can't report the key you use...

One awkward thing is that I had to block Doom as well, although I entered my original key, because it kept saying that it was already in use. Since I don't want to play it online anyway, I couldn't be bothered to report this to ID and just blocked it.

Because it checks the key. It doesn't have any consequences if that is not possible. If you have a firewall you can block D3 and then you can enter any valid number you like. As Stifu said, it might be that somebody uses your key (assuming you have a valid key).

Gerhard

I thought they removed the check with the 1.3 patch. I'm pretty sure I never bothered cracking my Doom 3 install, and I haven't so much as opened my D3 jewel case in three years.

Not sure. I think the internet validation is still working. When I had a firewall, I got the warning about it. It's very unobtrusive though. If the internet is available it gets checked, and if it is not available it will simply start. You don't even notice it, unless you look for it. That's also the reason why I'm not sure if it is still there or not, but I guess I could check it if I want to.

Gerhard

It is there. I was actually going to make a post that Doom 3 was not starting properly after patching anymore until I discovered that I just have to block it...

But Nyarlathotep, you are mixing something up here. We are talking about the online serial verification and not about cracking the executables, which about you're right, there's no crack needed after 1.3 .

Edited by STiFU

• 1 month later...
Because it checks the key. It doesn't have any consequences if that is not possible. If you have a firewall you can block D3 and then you can enter any valid number you like. As Stifu said, it might be that somebody uses your key (assuming you have a valid key).

You should also be able to just add the idnet.ua-corp.com to the hosts file and block it that way.

Open your hosts file (you'll have to search for it) located in Windows\System32\Drivers\etc, and add this to the end:

127.0.0.1 idnet.ua-corp.com

That should work. Any request from that server should be redirected to the localhost. Hmmm, I'm going to go try that right now.

EDIT: oh yeah that worked like a charm :)

Edited by AluminumHaste

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

But he'll still need the original doom 3 cd key in order to re-install the original game, can't use the expansion cd-key for that.

Hang on.............

You can use mine. Make sure you either shut off your network card when playing doom or add the server to your hosts file.

EDIT: REMOVED

PS if this is not allowed, just let me know.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Resurrection of Evil is technically a mod, just like TDM. So my educated guess is that they shouldn't affect each other, because the RoE code and assets are kept separate from the vanilla Doom assets which TDM relies on.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

It gets its own folder "d3xp" with all its unique assets there, sorta like any other mod such as when you "install" Thief's Den. I have it installed, never been even the slightest issue.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif