The Dark Mod Forums

Messing around with Dark Radiant and TDM Demo

Neurological

Hello, long time watchers, but first time poster. I just downloaded the demo and enjoyed it, so I decided to give a try to the Dark Radiant, and currently I'm making a short mission.

here a first screen:

c3a885de0140a3cb52ce63fda4ab3tt.jpg

btw, just a question, where I can found a tut for make objectives? Or there is none?

thx in advance

Neurological - Music Entertainment

http://www.neuro-lab.net

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, long time watchers, but first time poster. I just downloaded the demo and enjoyed it, so I decided to give a try to the Dark Radiant, and currently I'm making a short mission.

here a first screen:

Nice!

btw, just a question, where I can found a tut for make objectives? Or there is none?

Here is some info:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Objectives

(Not sure if this is uptodate, tho)

Please note that our documentation (also the wiki) is work in progress - it might be incomplete or outdated as things have changed to fast :)

If you need further help, just ask on the forum and we will try to help (and update the documentation at the same time :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

@SneaksieDave: I've been waiting this moment by ages, I always wanted to modify the thief games, but you know the others official games have lack of tools and stuff

@BlackThief: Yeah I'm currently working on a D3 modification which you can see here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/9458/mind but I'm not so skilled, I'm still learning stuff.

@SneaksieDave: I've been waiting this moment by ages, I always wanted to modify the thief games, but you know the others official games have lack of tools and stuff

@BlackThief: Yeah I'm currently working on a D3 modification which you can see here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/9458/mind but I'm not so skilled, I'm still learning stuff.

"not so skilled" is nominated for "Understatement of the Year"! These shots of the mod look darn impressive, I like especially the "made from paper" like-appearance.

I'd say we set you up as betamapper. Can anyone do this please?

There is currently a bit of a after-release hectic, :) but if you need any help, please post here or just PM me.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Nice to see someone jump in so quickly Neurological. I think it's a good time just to remind everyone while there are deffinately some resources released that they are not all the 'final' versions. It's good to be aware that if you use these resources that by the time TDM is released there will be alot of little tweaks to alot of stuff. This means that things like the chests which have already been updated will not be exactly aligned to the current models. This will require some manual tweaking to update them. Also most TDM items are now moveables but are not in the demo, so they would need replaced with entities after TDM release...

Also things like optimized shadow meshes and collision models have been added to most objects, so performance will actually be better in some cases once TDM is released. textures may be improved, ect...

-------------

The other Thief games don't lack tools, obvious by the amount of FM's and custom content out there.

But I do agree that they each were missing somethings that would've been nice to have:

T1,2 - missing the ability to add animations. That was always the major drawback, now it can be done but it's just a very slow/painful process. Still missing is the ability to add new skeletal types. Sometimes skeletal type were tweaked successfully (I made beetles and ants work just last year out of the spiders, but it was a slow and painful process, so bad in fact it took me 4+ years from the time the bettele mesh was complete to actually get it into game, the ant was pretty quick one the beetle was done, but it had issues of it's own so was still painful and almost never got completed).

Still, things like dogs and horses are next to impossible.

T3 just wasn't very user friendly IMO and I gave up on T3/Unreal editting several times. Although T3 has the ability to add anims and new creature types.

IMO Dark Radiant has everything both the previous editors had and everything they were missing. We finally have a 'complete and easy to use' toolset. (requiring other programs of course for animating and whatnot)

------------

The Wiki is indeed being added to all the time. I have just finished up adding a new section on patch archways.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

thx, well I started to map seriosly (only for radiant based games), by 6 or 7months, at the beginning I was able to do only few rooms without anything inside lol, in the past I worked only as musician/composer for games and mods and I'm currently continuing this passion, but I want to do more than only music.

Btw for the map I think for now I finish the basic structure,with all the rooms, etc.

Wow! I'm really impressed by this mod. It looks so sterile and clean (in a good way) and makes very creative use of Doom3. :)

Usually most mods are just more of Doom 3, so I always hope for something different, and this really looks like a game I would like to play. :laugh:

Thanks for sharing the link. I hope you come here every now and then and keep us updated on it. :)

Gerhard

It's funny ... I remember noticing and reading about that mod when the Mod-of-the-year thing was going on, just a week or so ago. I thought it was cool then. So it's funny to see one of the people working on it here now.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Welcome to the forums! Glad to see the demo has stimulated some people to try out mapping for it.

There will eventually be a user-friendly objectives editor in DarkRadiant, but right now the only way to enter them in is with spawnargs, and it's not user-friendly at all (although I think maybe easier than DromEd :) ). I'm also still revising some things in the objectives system, so it's still subject to change.

You can take a look at how they were handled in the Thief's den map, by looking for an entity called target_tdm_addobjectives. That's where the objective information is stored, although I think Fidcal also did some tricks with triggers and counters to set up certain objectives.

[EDIT: Just saw the video for your mod, it looks very interesting, and looks like it has very different gameplay from Doom3, which is good!]

thx, infact when I started Mind my first intention was to create something different from demons and only shooting.

btw, a little update on the tdm map. I passed the las night creating two new textures on photoshop and adding details to the map. The general structure its done.

textures:

b8fe012792e7410695d92a9c5d723.jpg

2f500f69b2fb30244e2126cbe7e67.jpg

map:

38a5dff6dadf0933e0d0bd605b87b.jpg

e11d5849ae88eefda43ef50e8e508.jpg

PS: The light on the last screen its not final, but just for test.

Also I started to write up some xdata for readable paper and scrolls, but still looking how to get these to work properly.

Edited by Neurological

Cool! We're always happy to accept donations of new textures, so if you are willing to let us use your texture(s) in the mod, just let Gildoran or New Horizon know and they can set up the transfer.

If you think you'll want to keep working on your TDM map, you might also consider joining our "beta mapper" team, and get the full assets, latest code and documentation, etc. I know you probably don't have a lot of free time, but as a beta mapper you can work on your map at your own pace. Anyway it's up to you.

Wow, nice lighting and texture choice.

And, do non shadow casting lights effect performance at all?

Yes they do, but not as bad. It is roughly in the order of:

* non-shadow castig (ambient light)

* shadow-casting, static (non moving)

* moving lights, shadow-casting

Computing shadows it the slowest, and if the light moves, the shadows need to be recomputed for every frame.

However, using ambient lights as "filler" lights is a usually technique. (as long as it is not obvious that the light is "fake" as it comes form "nowhere)

For instance, instead of having only one flickering moving candle lights, one can have a moving candle light and an ambient filler light linked to that candle, so that the reflection of the light from the walls is simulated and the shadow not as hard.

Just playing with textures.

Very nice! We are always on the lookout for good new textures. :)

And sneaksie, I pinched the wallpaper. Floorboards/panels are mine though.

High quality woods like that are among several things we need; at least, IMO. I don't like many of our existing woods, too orangey or low detail, and yours is a believable rich dark brown (and both with what looks like great normalmaps). Also some of ours don't go together well, so matching sets are very welcome.