The Dark Mod Forums

Messing around with Dark Radiant and TDM Demo

Neurological

Sure, if you guys like the textures, use them freely, but I didn't save the psd files, so I can't provide the sources. I've also others to show if someone is interested.

Other than that I'm composing also a pair of tracks as ambience and some sounds fx on the map, and if you like them I'll donate to the project.

About the beta mapping team I think I can't be so acive, mostly because I have to finish my mod first, and I'm not so quick in mapping.

Neurological - Music Entertainment

http://www.neuro-lab.net

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High quality woods like that are among several things we need; at least, IMO.

I don't know if this can produce the kind of high quality you want, but I found this (Wood Workshop) surfing around recently, an app for generating tiling wood textures. You can download it freely from the site I link. Worth looking at if you haven't already.

http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/ww_overview.htm

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I don't know if this can produce the kind of high quality you want, but I found this (Wood Workshop) surfing around recently, an app for generating tiling wood textures. You can download it freely from the site I link. Worth looking at if you haven't already.

http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/ww_overview.htm

Interesting program. But I have to say, the wood textures look obviously "fake" and computer generated as they are way to clean and regular.

I'll try Genetica (their other product) and see if it runs on Linux. Probably not, due to MS .NET :(

Edit: Bah SmartAss[tm] Programmers made the installer require Internet Explorer..no go..

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Edit: Bah SmartAss[tm] Programmers made the installer require Internet Explorer..no go..

You could always install... IE for Linux!

I doubt you get much further than that though. .NET no likie Linux.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

You are more than welcome to have my stuff. Not totally happy with the panels, they look pretty good from that angle, but when closer they look a little odd. Could just be a case of me staring at it too much :). And the normals on the planks are a bit too lumpy for floorboards.

The wallpaper is from cgtextures, I've seen them accredited on a few mods, so I don't think they'll mind.

I also have the source texture for the wooden panels, it's about 8mb psd if you want it.

Got the readables working. Now I've the last question then I finish to annoy you all lol. I checked the wiki, but there is no info about add the briefing screen at the beginning of the level (or maybe I'm blind). How I can add it if is possible?

Edited by Neurological

Neurological - Music Entertainment

http://www.neuro-lab.net

You could always install... IE for Linux!

Yeah, but this installes IE for wine, and I used Cedega to try the program out. I fear it is not really possible to installed IE in linux so that not only IE runs,but it can be piggypacked by other programs. (I could be wrong, tho)

I doubt you get much further than that though. .NET no likie Linux.

There is mono, tho, but like IE for linux, it won't work.

Ah well, another 10 min wasted :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Is there any way to get a texture to fade into another? Like grass fading to dirt?

Not really. D3 handles only one texture (diffuse map + normal map + shiny map) per triangle. You can however add decals, adding stains and so on.

Currently we lack quality decals (I think we only have half a dozend at all) and decals are definitely under-used. (Someone noted the outside walls in TD are too clean, and I agree, it could use more slime, grime and dirt on it)

Actually, we have a LOT of decals, and there are a large number of useable D3 ones as well (dirt is dirt). But they are certainly underused.

Is there any way to get a texture to fade into another? Like grass fading to dirt?

Yes, you can do that sort of blending with vertex maps, I think it only works with ASE files exported from max. I remember talking about it on the doom3world forums a few years ago, if you ask there you'll get a clearer answer.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

You can use vertex blending with any 3D application which is capable of exporting meshes with vertex colours to either ASE or LWO. You paint your mesh with vertex colours blending from black to white, and then use two diffusemap/normalmap declarations in your material file, one pair with "vertexColour" and the other with "inverseVertexColour" keywoards.

Is there a good tutorial on that somewhere? I'm still sketchy on what can be accomplished using vertex blending.

Yeah, been reading up on vertex maps. Just managed to get it working.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj114/m...m/shot00008.jpg

Bit of pissing around, but I guess it adds quite a bit to the visuals (well with better texture choices it would anyway)

Here's some good reading on it.

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic...f=25&t=9288

http://www.katsbits.com/htm/tutorials/doom...re_blending.htm

Basically, export mesh from d3 into lightwave, subdivide, uv map, create a vertex map and paint it white/black.

Maybe a long shot but do you think there's any chance we will be able to vertex paint in darkradiant?

Maybe a long shot but do you think there's any chance we will be able to vertex paint in darkradiant?

If I understand it correctly, it will only work on models. Since most of the basic map geometry is not build from models, but from brushes, I don't think it will work. (But if someone proves me wrong, that would be cool!)

Is there a good tutorial on that somewhere? I'm still sketchy on what can be accomplished using vertex blending.

I don't know off the top of my head, there is probably something on D3W. I have never done an actual blend between two textures, my only use of vertex colours thus far has been to darken areas of a mesh to simulate dirt etc.

No, this is not possible. As Tels said, map geometry (as created by DarkRadiant) uses brushes and patches, which cannot have vertex colours. In order to have vertex painting in DR it would be necessary to automagically export the painted brush/patch as a model and then re-import it, which would be neither easy nor particularly good design IMO.

I have never done an actual blend between two textures, my only use of vertex colours thus far has been to darken areas of a mesh to simulate dirt etc.

Yeah, that's the main benefit I can see as well (and it's certainly a valuable one).

mangrove, do you have interest in getting onboard? Either beta mapping, contributing, or membership? I'm sure you'd fit right in, right away.

Neurological, regarding not being active enough to justify beta mapping: our existing beta mappers work mostly at their own pace; some are very active (thankfully) and others have signed on and haven't... well, blossomed yet. Ultimately it's up to you, let us know whatever you'd like, for the offer is there.

Whatever your decisions, we're grateful you've both shown interest, talent, and initiative. ^_^

Is the TDM demo set up in a way that allows it to be comptible with dark radiant!? :o

I think I have to give it a go, I have had some use out of experience of hammer, Ued (inc T3ed), and some use of the radiant editor way back during Q3A... I might get interesting results.. who knows!

-Scope

Is the TDM demo set up in a way that allows it to be comptible with dark radiant!? :o

You'll need to point DarkRadiant to the thiefs_den directory. It's either asked of you when you first startup DarkRadiant or you can find it in the preferences:

dr_preference_thiefs_den.gif

Only the assets shipped with the mission are available of course, so it might be that many entities are not working. Shouldn't stop you from creating your own or just using the existing ones.

You'll need to point DarkRadiant to the thiefs_den directory. It's either asked of you when you first startup DarkRadiant or you can find it in the preferences:

post-406-1201028801_thumb.jpg

Only the assets shipped with the mission are available of course, so it might be that many entities are not working. Shouldn't stop you from creating your own or just using the existing ones.

Thats still quite awesome, and I bet it helps a lot of people with mapping.

I had considered downloading dark radiant months ago to try recreate a T3 map I was working on, but I didnt think it worth it as I would have no idea how it would play without the mod itself.

At least now I can have some insight to how the map will play out.

-Scope