The Dark Mod Forums

pre demo - broken files

Diego

hi ppl,

Here's what happened. first, i downloaded the file from this server: http://www.shadowdarkkeep.com/missions/thiefs_den_v1.0.exe

after i unpacked, it reported 407 broken files. not sure if it was the download, the unpacking, or the uploading to the server. unpacking it again gave the same result.

then i downloaded it again. now from a different server (not sure wich one though) and it returned the same problems when i unpacked. tried twice as well.

too bad i can't save a log of the report. but what you guys think it could be? has anyone experienced anything similar? I'm going to start downloading the torrent now.

I don't know anythign about this, but just to clarify, what is reporting the broken files? The self-extracting EXE?

If the exe file is damaged after download, please check:

* that you have enough free diskspace (500 Mbyte)

* that your virus scanner is up-to-date and that your system is clean

* that you don't use Internet Explorer or a download manager

* that the downloaded exe file matches this MD5sum:

d162dfdb7b1c9f9a9d0aaac915a75099

You can calculate the checksum on your end with a little program called MD5SUM, you can read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5sum

Download md5sum.exe from here:

http://downloads.activestate.com/contrib/md5sum/Windows/

Then open up a DOS window (execeute "cmd" from the menu), change to the directory where you downloaded the exe and run:

c:\temp\> md5sum thiefs_den_v1.0.exe

The reported sum must match *exactly* the one given above. If it doesn't, then your download is corrupted. In this case, try either the torrent, or try downloading with a different program.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Try to download from one of the mirrors.

The .exe file at shadowdark is corrupted:

0507e6153d1acc09ff0125946fbd9501 /home/te/thiefs_den_v1.0.exe

Paging Komag!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I downloaded from shadowdark yesterday, and it works fine.

I downloaded it this afternoon and the download was broken.

The file at Shadowdark is not broken, it's fine. To be absolutely sure, I JUST tested it again right now by downloading it to my desktop PC (which I don't use for Dark Mod), and installing Thieves Den and it plays with no issues at all.

In this ONE thread ONE guy said he got errors when unpacking the file from shadowdark, but he also said he got the exact same errors after downloading and unpacking from another source too. I have no idea what the checksum thing is all about or why you mention not to use Internet Explorer. All I know is that the mirror at Shadowdark works perfectly fine, nothing is wrong with it.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Diego said he got the exact same error on both occasions (after downloaded from two different sources), so I think it's a specific problem on his computer. If info was lost during download then it seems the same info was lost both times, which I guess could happen but it seems unlikely.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Diego said he got the exact same error on both occasions (after downloaded from two different sources), so I think it's a specific problem on his computer. If info was lost during download then it seems the same info was lost both times, which I guess could happen but it seems unlikely.

Yes, quite odd indeed.

The file at Shadowdark is not broken, it's fine. To be absolutely sure, I JUST tested it again right now by downloading it to my desktop PC (which I don't use for Dark Mod), and installing Thieves Den and it plays with no issues at all.

In this ONE thread ONE guy said he got errors when unpacking the file from shadowdark, but he also said he got the exact same errors after downloading and unpacking from another source too. I have no idea what the checksum thing is all about or why you mention not to use Internet Explorer. All I know is that the mirror at Shadowdark works perfectly fine, nothing is wrong with it.

Komag, I downloaded the file from shadowdark, and it is definitely different from both the file I have locally here on my computer, as well as the file from bloodgate.com.

Here is an article which shows you how to calculate an MD5 checksum, can you please do this and see if the checksum is the same?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5sum

If it is fine for you, but not for me and one other person, than there is still some problem. Maybe it depends via what internet route one downloads it?

Edit: The bit about "not using IE" is well, just something he can try. Sometimes IE screws up things, especially if the computer has a lot of spyware/adware on it. It *might* help not using it, and it might not help. Who knows. I don't know yet what the problem is, but there is definitely some problem somewhere.

I try again a download from shadowdark and see if I get the same file.

HoORRAY! problem solved! =)

in case anyone else is having similar problems, here's what i did: i closed everything unimportant. specially the avg antivirus, and went to the task manager and stopped any avg related process too. and the file i downloaded earlier unpacked successfully :)

• 1 month later...

I've had issues with AVG's protection scheme. Whenever it finds a virus type embedded or alone, it restricts access to it even if you download a fresh version and don't scan it.

When downloading cracks and stuff that are zipped, they often come with another file that is usually an exe and is a trojan. No problem as long as you don't run the exe, but sometimes when you try to extract the archives data, you get errors such as "Access is denied: you do not have sufficient privileges to access the file". Or sometimes it won't say anything and just won't work.

This is probably what happened to you. AVG scanned the file using it's heuristic (spelling?) algorithms and went apeshit on one of the files thinking if COULD be a virus and restricted access to it. When the self extraction process was running, it was refused access to those files, and thus returned the "broken files" error.

Just a theory. <_<

Edited by AluminumHaste

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.