The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod Error

Coyote

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Followed instructions. Went to play dark mod splash screen came up then a runtime error and it crashed. Any ideas?

If you open up doom 3, bring down the console...what version of the patch do you have listed? It should end in 4. Someone else had a similar issue and it was because the patch didn't install correctly. I found the doom 3 patch difficult to install too, as it didn't seem to choose the correct installation path.

Also, you placed the devil.dll in your windows/system32 folder?

If you open up doom 3, bring down the console...what version of the patch do you have listed? It should end in 4. Someone else had a similar issue and it was because the patch didn't install correctly. I found the doom 3 patch difficult to install too, as it didn't seem to choose the correct installation path.

Also, you placed the devil.dll in your windows/system32 folder?

I got the same problem as well, I have placed the devil.dll in my windows/system32 folder. I have pachted Doom 3 and the game worked, but when I tryed to play the dark mod it comes up with that run time error.

If I have installed the patch incorrectly could you please tell me the correct installation path. (The patch works fine when I want to play doom 3 but not for the dark mod)

I got the same problem as well, I have placed the devil.dll in my windows/system32 folder. I have pachted Doom 3 and the game worked, but when I tryed to play the dark mod it comes up with that run time error.

If I have installed the patch incorrectly could you please tell me the correct installation path. (The patch works fine when I want to play doom 3 but not for the dark mod)

Can you please post more information about the runtime error (maybe screenshot) as well as information about your system? (CPU, memory, graphic card etc.)

Also, can you start the dark mod, or does it crash before you can do this?

Did extracting the files from thiefs_den_v1.0.exe work or were there errors already? Do you have enough space on your harddisk?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hi all. First off, thanks for this fantastic preview. My jaw hit the desk when the game menu came up and the music started, and it stayed like that for quite a while :laugh:

Anyway, I was going post a thread about this problem, but I'll post it here. I couldn't get TDM to work in Windows due to this runtime error (lucky I dual boot with Linux :rolleyes: ). What happens is that the Dark Mod splash screen appears, then an error pops up.

Screenshot of error:

errorpu9.jpg

Things to note:

1. DevIl.dll is in the right place - I experimented by removing the dll. This causes a different error where a console pops up and says couldn't load dll.

2. There are no spaces in the filepaths, here is a screenie of my shortcut properties:

propertiespg2.jpg

3. Running the mod via the Mods menu in the Doom 3 main menu causes the same crash.

4. Doom 3 itself runs fine, at version 1.3.1.1304, verified via console.

5. As mentioned above, TDM works well under Linux on same machine (albeit choppy due to rubbish specs).

My specs:

Windows Xp Pro SP2

Athlon XP 2500+

Radeon 9800 Pro

1 GB RAM

Thanks again for the mod, and I hope this bug doesn't cause too many headaches!

Hi all. First off, thanks for this fantastic preview. My jaw hit the desk when the game menu came up and the music started, and it stayed like that for quite a while :laugh:

Yes, it would make an awesome screensaver :)

Anyway, I was going post a thread about this problem, but I'll post it here. I couldn't get TDM to work in Windows due to this runtime error (lucky I dual boot with Linux :rolleyes: ). What happens is that the Dark Mod splash screen appears, then an error pops up.

Wowa, and come to think I heard someone whisper "whos gonne use linux anyway?" (Just kidding :)

As for the error, this is kinda hard to debug.

Maybe we can find out what all people with that error have in common. (noooo not red hair).

Do you have any special programs or drivers running? Maybe some old copy protection stuff that or a resident virus scanner?

(Note: Do we know it works on Radeon 9800 cards?)

Thanks again for the mod, and I hope this bug doesn't cause too many headaches!

Nah, thanx for posting about it - thats the first step to fix it :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Can you please post more information about the runtime error (maybe screenshot) as well as information about your system? (CPU, memory, graphic card etc.)

Also, can you start the dark mod, or does it crash before you can do this?

Did extracting the files from thiefs_den_v1.0.exe work or were there errors already? Do you have enough space on your harddisk?

I have the axact same problem as Fenn reported. I should have also added that when I axtracted the files it reported a number of files being corrupt (a whole list).

I do have enough space on my computer to install Thiefs Den and my computer is also good enough to run doom 3 on the highest quality with no lag at all.

I have the axact same problem as Fenn reported. I should have also added that when I axtracted the files it reported a number of files being corrupt (a whole list).

In this case your download is corrupt and you must download the file again. Sorry, but a corupted download has no chance to work :)

Either do this from another mirror or use the torrent. This one should be good and also has a link to the torrent:

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/

Also, can you please tell me from where you downloaded the initial version?

The new download should be good, but if the file is again telling you that it can be extracted, please don't use, but post back here. We will try to figure out whats wrong.

Edit: Don't have access from my laptop now, but it would be good to add an "Important" section to the wiki telling people that a failure during extracting the files means they need to redownload it. (I wish I had realized earlier that in this case 7zip leaves the other files laying aroung)

Hi Fenn, I notice your reading this thread :D

The forum shows the names for about 15minutes, so he might not anymore :)

I didn't get any messages about file corruption when extracting the archive. Also, I downloaded my thiefs_den via torrent, so the download probably wasn't corrupt.

Perhaps checking md5 hashes is in order?

thiefs_den_v1.0.exe: D162DFDB7B1C9F9A9D0AAAC915A75099 (edit: never mind, I've just seen from the bloodgate mirror link that this md5 is correct)

Also, here's a text file with the md5 hashes of the entire thiefs_den folder after extraction (sorry, I don't have a better place to host it):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J5WD72PC

It would be cool if someone with a working install could verify the hashes match.

Just to be sure I'll download the file again to make sure the error in my case isn't because of file corruption.

Edited by Fenn

I didn't get any messages about file corruption when extracting the archive. Also, I downloaded my thiefs_den via torrent, so the download probably wasn't corrupt.

Perhaps checking md5 hashes is in order?

thiefs_den_v1.0.exe: D162DFDB7B1C9F9A9D0AAAC915A75099

Also, here's a text file with the md5 hashes of the entire thiefs_den folder after extraction (sorry, I don't have a better place to host it):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J5WD72PC

It would be cool if someone with a working install could verify the hashes match.

Just to be sure I'll download the file again to make sure the error in my case isn't because of file corruption.

Say in again in english what I am meant to do? Please.

Sorry, that post wasn't directed at you :P

In your case, since you definitely have a corrupt download, you should:

1. delete your current thiefs_den_v1.0.exe

2. delete your thiefs_den folder within your doom3 folder

3. redownload thiefs_den_v1.0.exe from the link Tel provided. Click the HTTP link, not torrent.

4. Try the install Process again

Same error here. I can run Doom 3, but not the Dark Mod. The only difference between me and the other folks is that I'm running Vista. I've tried compatibility mode and that didn't fix a thing.

In case the download location becomes the common factor, I used Shadowdark Keep.

System specs:

Vista, Home Premium 32-bit

Intel quad core proc.

4 gb RAM

NVidia 8800 GTS

Fatal1ty Soundblaster card

Edited by Slither

In most if not all of your cases it is due to mis-installing the patch. The patch does not properly install into the correct directory. By default it says it will install in some C:/Program Files or something like that. You need to change it to install right into your main Doom 3 directory.

So just try to install the patch again, carefully setting the correct directory, and you should all be all set.

This same problem has occured over and over again for many people on various forums. I think it really needs to be added to the install directions for the mod on the wiki and elsewhere. It's getting to be a common issue.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

In most if not all of your cases it is due to mis-installing the patch. The patch does not properly install into the correct directory. By default it says it will install in some C:/Program Files or something like that. You need to change it to install right into your main Doom 3 directory.

So just try to install the patch again, carefully setting the correct directory, and you should all be all set.

This same problem has occured over and over again for many people on various forums. I think it really needs to be added to the install directions for the mod on the wiki and elsewhere. It's getting to be a common issue.

Oh my god dude, your a ledgend! I bet thats why it wont' work ;)

I have patched doom 3 and now when I try to start it up it comes up with this

Sys_InitNetworking: adding loopback interface

doom using MMX & SSE & SSE2 for SIMD processing

enabled Flush-To-Zero mode

enabled Denormals-Are-Zero mode

------ Initializing File System ------

Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3\base\game01.pk4 with checksum 0x51c6981f

Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3\base\game02.pk4 with checksum 0xf3ec6f7

Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3\base\game03.pk4 with checksum 0x5d4230ea

Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3\base\pak005.pk4 with checksum 0x8ffc3621

Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3\base\pak006.pk4 with checksum 0x95b65ab

Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3\base\pak007.pk4 with checksum 0x666bdb3c

Loaded pk4 C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3\base\pak008.pk4 with checksum 0x23ae5993

Current search path:

C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3/base

C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3\base\pak008.pk4 (3 files)

C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3\base\pak007.pk4 (38 files)

C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3\base\pak006.pk4 (48 files)

C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3\base\pak005.pk4 (63 files)

C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3\base\game03.pk4 (2 files)

C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3\base\game02.pk4 (2 files)

C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3\base\game01.pk4 (2 files)

game DLL: 0x0 in pak: 0x0

Addon pk4s:

file system initialized.

--------------------------------------

Unknown command 'vid_restart'

idRenderSystem::Shutdown()

Shutting down OpenGL subsystem

...shutting down QGL

Couldn't load default.cfg

You seem to have installed to C:\games\Doom3\Doom 3 instead of C:\games\Doom3. Make sure you patched to the first path, not the second. (If in doubt, run the patcher again.)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Good point greebo. Yeah, those files should be there, and aren't.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

@HalfKaztBoy: Your Doom 3 installation seems to be bogus. The pak000.pk4 - pak0004.pk4 files appear to be missing entirely. I'd advise you to reinstall Doom 3 + Patch and then try again.

Before I even posted this I reinstalled doom 3 and repatched it, same old problem :(

By the way that only happens to the patched version, but if I click on the unpatched doom it will run.

So basically I have an icon for unpatched doom and icon for the patched doom.

Edited by HalfKaztBoy

By the way that only happens to the patched version, but if I click on the unpatched doom it will run.

So basically I have an icon for unpatched doom and icon for the patched doom.

You can't have an unpatched Doom3 and a patched Doom3 on your system at the same time (unless you copied them on purpose). The patch is applied to the unpatched version, after that process it is no longer unpatched (doh!).

Please post the contents of your Doom 3 folder and the base folder here (screenshot, post, whatever).