The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod Error

Coyote

The patch gives you a new desktop icon and it is a different name (I think it's Doom 3 instead of Doom3), so you can end up with two icons. If you've patched to the right place then both icons will be identical in properties though.

So Half, you should post the target line of the properties of your shortcuts. It should be something like "C:\Games\doom3\DOOM3.exe"

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't have an unpatched Doom3 and a patched Doom3 on your system at the same time (unless you copied them on purpose). The patch is applied to the unpatched version, after that process it is no longer unpatched (doh!).

Please post the contents of your Doom 3 folder and the base folder here (screenshot, post, whatever).

No really, I have got 2 doom 3 icons. One of them launches the doom 3 (unpatched one) and the other one comes up with the message of the missing file.

When I installed the patch I installed it into this directory "C:\games\doom3\Doom 3"

Which looks very wrong to me. I'm quite sure that you haven't applied the patch in the right location. The right location is probably C:\games\doom3, assuming that's where you installed Doom 3.

Please follow these instructions:

1. Right-click on the shortcut that launches the unpatched version, and look at its target. Copy and paste the target here so we can see it.

2. Do the same for the shortcut that has the error.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Which looks very wrong to me. I'm quite sure that you haven't applied the patch in the right location. The right location is probably C:\games\doom3, assuming that's where you installed Doom 3.

Please follow these instructions:

1. Right-click on the shortcut that launches the unpatched version, and look at its target. Copy and paste the target here so we can see it.

2. Do the same for the shortcut that has the error.

Oh yeah I did install the patch wrong, Thanks for the help, now I'm installing the mod again. I reply soon.

I downloaded the 1.3.1 patch from here:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Thief%27s_Den

but when trying to apply it I get the message:

"I could not identify the version of Doom 3 installed. If you are not running the English

release, make sure to select the appropriate localization component to install."

Problem is I am running the English release. Is a seperate patch needed for the Australian (Asia/Pacific) version?

Edit: Nevermind, I spoke too soon, the patch still worked.

Edited by Heavenly

Yay I fixed the other problem! But now I got a new problem...

When I start the Thief's Den up I get this "Error during initialization"

------ Initializing File System ------

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\base\game00.pk4 with checksum 0x29cdb978

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\base\game01.pk4 with checksum 0x51c6981f

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\base\game02.pk4 with checksum 0xf3ec6f7

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\base\game03.pk4 with checksum 0x5d4230ea

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\base\pak000.pk4 with checksum 0x28d208f1

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\base\pak001.pk4 with checksum 0x40244be0

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\base\pak002.pk4 with checksum 0xc51ecdcd

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\base\pak003.pk4 with checksum 0xcd79d028

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\base\pak004.pk4 with checksum 0x765e4f8b

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\base\pak005.pk4 with checksum 0x8ffc3621

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\base\pak006.pk4 with checksum 0x95b65ab

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\base\pak007.pk4 with checksum 0x666bdb3c

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\base\pak008.pk4 with checksum 0x23ae5993

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\thiefs_den\darkmod.pk4 with checksum 0xae7f9fe1

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\thiefs_den\game01-base.pk4 with checksum 0xd29e6284

Loaded pk4 C:\games\doom3\thiefs_den\thiefs_den.pk4 with checksum 0xb87d41de

Current search path:

C:\games\doom3/thiefs_den

C:\games\doom3\thiefs_den\thiefs_den.pk4 (44 files)

C:\games\doom3\thiefs_den\game01-base.pk4 (2 files)

C:\games\doom3\thiefs_den\darkmod.pk4 (2 files)

C:\games\doom3/base

C:\games\doom3\base\pak008.pk4 (3 files)

C:\games\doom3\base\pak007.pk4 (38 files)

C:\games\doom3\base\pak006.pk4 (48 files)

C:\games\doom3\base\pak005.pk4 (63 files)

C:\games\doom3\base\pak004.pk4 (5137 files)

C:\games\doom3\base\pak003.pk4 (4676 files)

C:\games\doom3\base\pak002.pk4 (6120 files)

C:\games\doom3\base\pak001.pk4 (8972 files)

C:\games\doom3\base\pak000.pk4 (2698 files)

C:\games\doom3\base\game03.pk4 (2 files)

C:\games\doom3\base\game02.pk4 (2 files)

C:\games\doom3\base\game01.pk4 (2 files)

C:\games\doom3\base\game00.pk4 (2 files)

game DLL: 0x0 in pak: 0x0

Addon pk4s:

file system initialized.

--------------------------------------

----- Initializing Decls -----

------------------------------

------- Initializing renderSystem --------

using ARB renderSystem

renderSystem initialized.

5166 strings read from strings/english.lang

Couldn't open journal files

execing editor.cfg

execing default.cfg

execing DoomConfig.cfg

couldn't exec autoexec.cfg

5166 strings read from strings/english.lang

----- Initializing Sound System ------

sound system initialized.

----- R_InitOpenGL -----

Initializing OpenGL subsystem

...registered window class

...registered fake window class

...initializing QGL

...calling LoadLibrary( 'opengl32' ): succeeded

...calling CDS: ok

...created window @ 0,0 (1024x768)

Initializing OpenGL driver

...getting DC: succeeded

...PIXELFORMAT 10 selected

...creating GL context: succeeded

...making context current: succeeded

------- Input Initialization -------

Initializing DirectInput...

mouse: DirectInput initialized.

keyboard: DirectInput initialized.

------------------------------------

sound: STEREO

...using GL_ARB_multitexture

...using GL_ARB_texture_env_combine

...using GL_ARB_texture_cube_map

...using GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3

...using GL_ARB_texture_env_add

...using GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two

...using GL_ARB_texture_compression

...using GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc

...using GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic

maxTextureAnisotropy: 16.000000

...using GL_1.4_texture_lod_bias

X..GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette not found

...using GL_EXT_texture3D

...using GL_EXT_stencil_wrap

...using GL_NV_register_combiners

...using GL_EXT_stencil_two_side

X..GL_ATI_fragment_shader not found

X..GL_ATI_text_fragment_shader not found

...using GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object

...using GL_ARB_vertex_program

...using GL_ARB_fragment_program

...using EXT_depth_bounds_test

---------- R_NV20_Init ----------

---------------------------------

----------- R200_Init -----------

Not available.

---------- R_ARB2_Init ----------

Available.

---------------------------------

----- R_ReloadARBPrograms -----

glprogs/test.vfp

glprogs/test.vfp

glprogs/interaction.vfp

glprogs/interaction.vfp

glprogs/bumpyEnvironment.vfp

glprogs/bumpyEnvironment.vfp

glprogs/ambientLight.vfp

glprogs/ambientLight.vfp

glprogs/shadow.vp

glprogs/R200_interaction.vp

glprogs/nv20_bumpAndLight.vp

glprogs/nv20_diffuseColor.vp

glprogs/nv20_specularColor.vp

glprogs/nv20_diffuseAndSpecularColor.vp

glprogs/environment.vfp

glprogs/environment.vfp

glprogs/arbVP_glasswarp.txt: File not found

glprogs/arbFP_glasswarp.txt: File not found

-------------------------------

using ARB_vertex_buffer_object memory

using ARB2 renderSystem

found DLL in pak file: C:\games\doom3\thiefs_den\darkmod.pk4/gamex86.dll

copy gamex86.dll to C:\games\doom3\thiefs_den\gamex86.dll

game using MMX & SSE & SSE2 for SIMD processing

enabled Flush-To-Zero mode

enabled Denormals-Are-Zero mode

--------- Initializing Game ----------

gamename: baseDOOM-1

gamedate: Jan 17 2008

Initializing event system

...700 event definitions

Initializing class hierarchy

...160 classes, 313600 bytes for event callbacks

Initializing scripts

Compiled 'playerPositionThread': 632.9 ms

---------- Compile stats ----------

Memory usage:

Strings: 38, 4880 bytes

Statements: 24183, 483660 bytes

Functions: 1192, 125472 bytes

Variables: 81980 bytes

Mem used: 1199856 bytes

Static data: 2277552 bytes

Allocated: 2827252 bytes

Thread size: 7068 bytes

...8 aas types

game initialized.

Parsing material files

------------ RCF Server started -----------

-------- Initializing Session --------

--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------

ERROR: LoadTGA( guis/assets/mainmenu/buttons_settingsmenu/weapons.tga ): Only type 2 (RGB), 3 (gray), and 10 (RGB) TGA images supported

Error during initialization

Shutting down OpenGL subsystem

...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success

...deleting GL context: success

...releasing DC: success

...destroying window

...resetting display

...shutting down QGL

...unloading OpenGL DLL

Yay I fixed the other problem! But now I got a new problem...

When I start the Thief's Den up I get this "Error during initialization"

Did you re-download the thiefs_den_v1.0.exe file?

You can use this link:

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/thiefs_den_v1.0.exe

A "torrent" is a different way to download files, you need a client to do so. One easy to use client is build-in the Opera browser. But I guess for now it is easier if you forget about the torrent :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Did you re-download the thiefs_den_v1.0.exe file?

You can use this link:

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/thiefs_den_v1.0.exe

A "torrent" is a different way to download files, you need a client to do so. One easy to use client is build-in the Opera browser. But I guess for now it is easier if you forget about the torrent :)

Nar nar nar, I didn't have to redownload the file, I just didn't install the patch properly. But yeah now I got another problem, ffs it's just one thing after another.

Nar nar nar, I didn't have to redownload the file, I just didn't install the patch properly. But yeah now I got another problem, ffs it's just one thing after another.

Well, I am repeating myself here, but you said:

I have the axact same problem as Fenn reported. I should have also added that when I axtracted the files it reported a number of files being corrupt (a whole list).

to which I said:

In this case your download is corrupt and you must download the file again. Sorry, but a corupted download has no chance to work :)

Please make sure that the thiefs_den_v1.0.exe file really extracts without errors. It will not run if it extracts only half.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Komag:

The patch wouldn't install again because it told me I did it right the first time. :-)

The game still will not launch from either the command line in the shortcut or choosing the mod from within Doom 3. I had no errors of any kind when installing the mod or Doom, but I'll try to download the mod from another source -- just to rule that out.

Komag:

The patch wouldn't install again because it told me I did it right the first time. :-)

The game still will not launch from either the command line in the shortcut or choosing the mod from within Doom 3. I had no errors of any kind when installing the mod or Doom, but I'll try to download the mod from another source -- just to rule that out.

The installation should then be fine, but did you check that the patch is really installed right? Likewise, can you start Doom from the command line and post the entire text printed by doom for us to look at?

The only thing I think could be the cause would be Vista. I do not remember that anybody used Vista during testing or later.

Angua tested it in Vista - worked like a charm.

Ah ok, that's good to know that is should work :) Now we need to find out why it doesn't work on his system :)

Ah ok, that's good to know that is should work :) Now we need to find out why it doesn't work on his system :)

Thanks, guys. If I were a wee bit smarter I might have caught this sooner. The patch I had was 1.3.1.xx2. I thought I'd check in case the official site didn't have the latest version, for whatever reason. I grabbed the patch from your Wiki and all is well with 1.3.1.xx4.

Sorry for all the trouble and being a bit of a doofus.

Thanks, guys. If I were a wee bit smarter I might have caught this sooner. The patch I had was 1.3.1.xx2. I thought I'd check in case the official site didn't have the latest version, for whatever reason. I grabbed the patch from your Wiki and all is well with 1.3.1.xx4.

Sorry for all the trouble and being a bit of a doofus.

No worries, glad that it is sorted out and turned out to be a known problem :)

Enjoy the mission :)

I can't get this problem to go away :(

I installed it on another XP machine and it worked fine first try, so I'm pretty sure I'm not messing up the patch install process.

But on my own machine I've tried uninstall/reinstall, in different paths, but I still get this message. The only difference is that now it hangs on the splash screen for a good 5 minutes before popping up with the error.

Hi nice demo!

I also had/have problem with this error message. The thing I found was that if I run Firefox in the background it crashes, if I don't it works. Seems consistent. DOOM 3 has correct patch!

Also, do you think that having non-english characters in username can mess things up? It does for things like GIMP and other Windows/Linux cross-platform apps. Also seems to do that with DarkRadiant, but that's not for this thread I guess.

I'm on WinXP SP2 32-bit AMD 64 x2 4200+ Geforce 7950GT 512Mb

I also had/have problem with this error message. The thing I found was that if I run Firefox in the background it crashes, if I don't it works. Seems consistent.

This is very weird. I frequently run Firefox in the background and have never had a problem. I use Linux these days, but I used to do the same thing in Windows XP SP2, with a reasonably similar system (except 3500+ and GeForce 6600GT) and it worked fine.

It might be worth doing a memory test, to make sure that you don't have any faulty RAM.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Hi nice demo!

I also had/have problem with this error message. The thing I found was that if I run Firefox in the background it crashes, if I don't it works. Seems consistent. DOOM 3 has correct patch!

Somebody else also said running firefox in the background caused problems, so please do a memory test.

Also, do you think that having non-english characters in username can mess things up? It does for things like GIMP and other Windows/Linux cross-platform apps. Also seems to do that with DarkRadiant, but that's not for this thread I guess.

Do you mean the player name inside Doom3? This is not editable from Thief's Den, so it should cause no problem. Or do you mean the user name from Windows?

I don't think this is a problem, tho.

I can't get this problem to go away :(

I installed it on another XP machine and it worked fine first try, so I'm pretty sure I'm not messing up the patch install process.

But on my own machine I've tried uninstall/reinstall, in different paths, but I still get this message. The only difference is that now it hangs on the splash screen for a good 5 minutes before popping up with the error.

Do you have any mods installed in your Doom3 on windows? Or do you have an autoconfig.cfg maybe?

Running out of ideas :(

Well, I didn't do a memory test since I don't think a pre-beta demo acting weird warrants that as first course of action. What I DID do was disable the Zotero plug-in http://www.zotero.org/ which seemed to be the problem. Now it runs with FireFox in the background, just what I always wanted... :)

I meant the Windows username. I don't think Doom3/TDM should suffer but DarkRadiant seems to have problems with that. If I temp create a user without strange symbols like å ä ö in the name it works, otherwise it complains about not being able to write to the log, wanting me to check the write priviliges of the Radiant directory. I've had this problem before with other apps, as I mentioned before, e.g. GIMP.

Well, I didn't do a memory test since I don't think a pre-beta demo acting weird warrants that as first course of action. What I DID do was disable the Zotero plug-in http://www.zotero.org/ which seemed to be the problem. Now it runs with FireFox in the background, just what I always wanted... :)

Still, why should such an extension interfere with the mod or Doom3? That is strange.

I meant the Windows username. I don't think Doom3/TDM should suffer but DarkRadiant seems to have problems with that. If I temp create a user without strange symbols like å ä ö in the name it works, otherwise it complains about not being able to write to the log, wanting me to check the write priviliges of the Radiant directory. I've had this problem before with other apps, as I mentioned before, e.g. GIMP.

Ah, good point. I'll file a bugreport.