The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod Error

Coyote

Tels, I'm pretty sure I have both PCI and AGP slots. If it's better to get a PCI graphics card, let me know. Since I'm buying a new card anyway, I might as well get the best I can afford...! (Or is PCI Express a special graphics slot unrelated to a normal PCI slot? Do I need to get a whole new motherboard? Eek.)

PCI is a "generic" bus used for all sorts of extension cards. (Think more USB slots, a soundcard).

AGP is a bus used almost exclusively for graphic cards

PCIe (PCI Express) is a bus used for mostly graphic cards, but also for other stuff (as this bus can be "divided down" for different cards).

It is likely that you have PCI+AGP, _or_ PCI+PCIexpress on your board, but I don't think you have PCI+AGP+PICExpress. That would be quite strange :)

See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_Co...nt_Interconnect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

Almost all modern systems contain PCI+PCIe. PCI+AGB was the older system.

(And before that we had ISA and other strange stuff. Don't ask :)

After moving all the .vfp files to a separate directory (under the Doom3 folder but not under thiefs_den), I received the same error message I received before, or at least it looks the same. It ends:

glGetError() = 0x500

Shutting down sound hardware

idRenderSystem::Shutdown()

Shutting down OpenGL subsystem

...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success

...deleting GL context: success

...releasing DC: success

...destroying window

...shutting down QGL

...unloading OpenGL DLL

couldn't load game dynamic library

Does this mean it's the shaders or something else? (And what are shaders anyway?)

This means it is _not_ the shaders. (Unfortunately, because if that had fixed your issue, it would have been cool :)

Now I am out of ideas for the moment.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "couldn't load game dynamic library" error looks like it's a consequence of the "glGetError() = 0x500" error, so the latter is the one to pay attention to.

Seeing as nobody else has the 0x500 error, and it's OpenGL-related, I would say it's probably something to do with the graphics subsystem. On that basis, replacing the graphics card would seem likely to fix it, but first I'd try:

Googling brought me the wisdom :) that 0x500 means that the program tried to request a certain capability of the driver, and the driver basically says "Sorry, Dave, I can't do that."

Unfortunately, what exactly was requested and either your card or driver don't support is not visible from the error message alone. That makes it hard to debug because we don't have a system where we could replicate it.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

There are a few MotherBoards out there with both AGP and PCI-E, as a transition sort of thing.

Yeah, I expected someone to build such a silly thing :) But I don't think anyone having a TI4200 will have such a "modern" board :)

Googling brought me the wisdom :) that 0x500 means that the program tried to request a certain capability of the driver, and the driver basically says "Sorry, Dave, I can't do that."

I agree, that's the likely cause.

Unfortunately, what exactly was requested and either your card or driver don't support is not visible from the error message alone. That makes it hard to debug because we don't have a system where we could replicate it.

Aye. What I'd really like to do is run an OpenGL debugger on his copy of TDM while it loads. Then we'd be able to see exactly what call caused the error message, which would be very useful information. Without that info, all we can do is guess.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

- Update your graphics drivers to the latest version if you haven't already, and see if that helps.

- If not, downgrade your drivers to a randomly selected older version, and see if that version works. If not, try again with a different version until you (A) find one that works, or ( B) give up.

- Run a memory test, just on the off-chance that you have some bad RAM (this can cause all kinds of weird things to happen).

I had already updated my drivers right after I first had the problem;

I just ran a full pass of MemTest, and there were no errors;

And I don't really want to search for old drivers to use; I'm not sure nVidia even keeps those on their website, at least not for this card.

I even tried lowering the video quality, just in case it failed to crash in Doom 3 on Ultra for some bizarre reason, but was crashing as it was supposed to in the TDM due to overly optimistic video demands: No dice, it still crashed the same way, with the same error messages.

Sadly, I think I'm being driven into having to buy both a new motherboard and a new graphics card, unless it turns out that my m-board has a PCI Express slot as well as an AGP.

Dafydd

Sadly, I think I'm being driven into having to buy both a new motherboard and a new graphics card, unless it turns out that my m-board has a PCI Express slot as well as an AGP.

Sorry that we couldn't help you :/

Finding an AGP card will be surely the cheapest thing. If you opt for a PCI card and a new motherboard, you very likely need a new CPU and new memory, too.

Of course, the new rig will make you happy :D

Tels, if it ends up costing me $1200, it will not make me happy. It will especially not make my better half happy (and when she's not happy, no one is happy!)

But if it makes you happy because you can play Thief, it will make her happy, too, because what wife wants a grumpy man? :P

PS: You should get a good machine for under $1000 - it doesn't have to be top of the line to beat your current machine :)

Tels, if it ends up costing me $1200, it will not make me happy. It will especially not make my better half happy (and when she's not happy, no one is happy!)

Dafydd

My motherboard fried in December so I ended getting a new power supply, motherboard, CPU (Pentium D 3 gHz), PCIe video card (nvidia 8600 gt), and 2 gigs ram. It was a little over $500.

There are quite good video cards that don't require a pci slot, so a new motherboard is not strictly necessary.

There are quite good video cards that don't require a pci slot, so a new motherboard is not strictly necessary.

I don't know where you are located, but here is a US-based dealer:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;x=0&y=0

Here is a German dealer, showing the 7600GS (AGP) for 79 €:

http://www.alternate.de/html/product/detai...rticleId=174877

Thanks, all... but I think I'll wait: There aren't any Thief FMs written for TDM yet; and when there are, there will probably be better CPU-motherboard-graphics board combinations for less money. (Or for that matter, the new ones today will be used machines tomorrow, hence cheaper!)

Other expenses must take priority. Sigh.

Dafydd

• 2 weeks later...

I gather this is being covered above, as I am getting a similar error as well when trying to run the patched 1.3.1 version of Doom3. (All my games are installed in E:\Games\*). I installed the patch into the Doom directory, and when starting with the new .exe, I get:

Couldn't load default.cfg

0x8ffc3621

Loaded pk4 E:\Games\doom3\Doom 3\base\pak006.pk4 with checksum 0x95b65ab

Loaded pk4 E:\Games\doom3\Doom 3\base\pak007.pk4 with checksum 0x666bdb3c

Loaded pk4 E:\Games\doom3\Doom 3\base\pak008.pk4 with checksum 0x23ae5993

Current search path:

E:\Games\doom3\Doom 3/base

E:\Games\doom3\Doom 3\base\pak008.pk4 (3 files)

E:\Games\doom3\Doom 3\base\pak007.pk4 (38 files)

E:\Games\doom3\Doom 3\base\pak006.pk4 (48 files)

E:\Games\doom3\Doom 3\base\pak005.pk4 (63 files)

E:\Games\doom3\Doom 3\base\game03.pk4 (2 files)

E:\Games\doom3\Doom 3\base\game02.pk4 (2 files)

E:\Games\doom3\Doom 3\base\game01.pk4 (2 files)

game DLL: 0x0 in pak: 0x0

Addon pk4s:

file system initialized.

--------------------------------------

Unknown command 'vid_restart'

idRenderSystem::Shutdown()

Shutting down OpenGL subsystem

...shutting down QGL

Couldn't load default.cfg

Am I doing something horrendously wrong? It can't be beyond my graphics card, can it? I have a AGP GeForce 7600 GS. Thanks for any help in advance.

Gah. I am moron. :blink:

I was really tired and frustrated at the time, and after finally getting a copy of the game too. Still, the patch is a bit of a boxhead. Thanks guys.

Same error:

Heres my rig:

AN8 32X (bios 13)

FX-55

Thermaltake Vocano 11 (Remove the fan grill)

Arctic silver 5

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 smile.gif

2 gig OCZ Platinum dual channel

Nvidia 7900 gs x 2 SLI

2 wd 36 gig raptors SATA raid 0

IDE WD 150 Gig back up

X-FI Platinum

Thermaltake Xaser 3 full tower

9 case fans

Win Xp home/SP 2

Same error:

Heres my rig:

AN8 32X (bios 13)

FX-55

Thermaltake Vocano 11 (Remove the fan grill)

Arctic silver 5

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 smile.gif

2 gig OCZ Platinum dual channel

Nvidia 7900 gs x 2 SLI

2 wd 36 gig raptors SATA raid 0

IDE WD 150 Gig back up

X-FI Platinum

Thermaltake Xaser 3 full tower

9 case fans

Win Xp home/SP 2

Same error as Spix? It was the patch no installed properly.

I agree the patch is tricky. I just reinstalled my entire system and was having issues with the patch path.

If you type games/doom3 it will add Doom3 folder to that, but it doesn't show you that extra path, so you need to just put C:/games/ and it'll add the Doom3 no matter what (in windows at least it's OK for that Doom 3 path to have caps and spaces, it's anything below that needs no caps/ no spaces.)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest