Tricko for object modeler

New Horizon

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Crispy came across a very talented modeler on the indiegames forums, who goes by the name of Tricko.

Since we're in pretty good shape as far as characters go, he suggest Tricko apply as an object modeler. I agree with this as well.

Here is some of his modeling work.

http://www.wazgrafix.com/

Woooho! That stuff is awesome.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Well, the character could use some work. We still need a pagan male and several townsfolk don't we?

He looks very good at characters and from that page actually looks like that's his thing. Not sure how he is with rigging/animating but it would be great to have someone in that department.

I'd say if he wants to do AI that would be just as helpful, maybe more than objects.

I really like his 2d artwork too and having some awe inspiring concept work would be just as good imo.

He has a horse ! Maybe he'll donate that and we can get rid of the current one. He also has a cow complete and I can see that being pretty cool in stalls, ect...

There's also a cool eyeball plants, goo blob thing at the bottom of a page. Unfinished but would be a cool maw addition.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Keep in mind, this is for object modeling. We already have all the characters we need and can manufacture more by recycling the parts. :) Plus, we have more characters to animate than we know what to do with. ;)

Well, we only have human characters. Plus, all I hear all the time is "it is WIP, it will be redone, we will do it properly etc yadda yadda" :)

Some of his models would look awesome for dark, gritty, moody, trickster statues, or wall panels, or hewn stones.

Not to talk about the horse etc :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Jeez, you guys are easy to please, that character modeling is no better than average, and the 'paintings' look like they're just collages of photos blended together.

The best part are the drawings which have a nice stylized quality about them, but that's not going to be of any use here.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Hi all here!

Sorry just couldn't help but have a quick peek at any crits. Thanks very much for the great comments I've read so far. I'm sorry Oddity you don't think much of it and I don't profess to be anything but 'average' I just do what I love doing that's all, just trying to get better! Yes the the 2d artworks are just photomontages and I've never said to anyone they were anything else!

If I've any models already built that can be used in this mod 'make it so number one'. Look guys first and foremost I don't wanna tread on anyones toes here, I'm perfectly happy to model wooden crates if you want one!

Crispy invited me to apply here after seeing my portfolio via the indiegamer forum. I've been browsing the net looking at in game footage and am completely blown away by what you guys have achieved so far. I've said this to Crispy and New Horizon already but the first Thief game 'The Dark Project' is my favourite game ever, as are 'Looking Glass' studio-wise.

Please take into consideration that I'm a newbie at modding. I wanted to get involved with a mod team to focus on modelling for games and learning about optimisation, joint deformation etc. I've professional experience as a multimedia designer so please feel free to ask if any of my skillset could be of use ie Flash, After Effects or Photoshop.

Look guys I'd like to be involved. The offer's there if you want it!

Look guys I'd like to be involved. The offer's there if you want it!

Yes, we want. :wub:

First off, please do not make any crates. We already have enough of those :D

I personally don't feel like a new object modeller would be stepping on my toes, I only suggested it might be better for you to work on AI because we have alot of objects and few AI. Doesn't sound like you'd be ready to jump in and start riggin/animating but if you wanted to try it wouldn't hurt to learn anyway.

We also could use more quality textures and we really don't have any dedicated texture artists. Well, I guess Arcturus would be, he's making some good metal ones lately. But this would be a great area for an experienced photoshopper to help.

Second, blow oDDity off. I respect his AI but nobody can live up to his standards as you will learn if you join the team. He bashes everyone and everything and we've all gotten used to it. I'm not trying to bash him I just don't want people being scared off because of his attitude.

The fact is is he is the only one 'capable' of making Ai up to his level and unless he wants to get busy doing more Ai someone below his level is gonna have to make them.

I personally don't care if all the Ai are at his level of workmanship, I'd rather have a good variety of AI even if they are 'below par'.

Your AI look good to me for models, I realize alot of them are unfinished/untextured/whatever and you have alot that wouldn't fit into TDM (the jester, batman, hellboy, ect) but I think they show promise and if you worked on Darkmod specific AI I think you could probably make some pretty decent characters that we'd be happy with judging from those models.

This is a volunteer effort after all, I don't see how oDD expects a professional modeler to jump in and start giving away work.

I mentioned the horse and cow because they do look good enough to me and they look finished. Of course riggin/anim is another step but they are already half way there.

We could use alot of objects too so I think there are several areas you can help the team. I can't make you apart of the team but I can give a thumbs up.

And whether or not the 2d is montage stuff we could always use concept art in any form. Sometimes I just get burnt out and can't come up with ideas for even simple objects like machines. It's nice to have someone elses view to work off of whether or not the final product ends up looking the same.

As far as AI though NH, do we have enough? The anims can be reused if the rigs match. It's fine to use one body for all city watch but it would be nice to have at least 10 heads, as I said (after your post) we don't have a pagan male.

--EDIT--

I think the plant thing would be better as eyeballs. Human heads would be too... what's the word...too Clive Barker.

I can see weird plants and that would be a cool alternate to the thief eyeball plant, but human heads would be better for Doom or Evil Dead. Creepy satanic type settings.

Don't mind oDDity, he's a prima donna. ;)

Jeez, you guys are easy to please, that character modeling is no better than average

You could always do some more character modeling for us yourself. Then Tricko could use his "average" skills making objects instead, and everyone would be happy. :P

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I'm off to bed now.

Still very interested in being involved and just to reiterate that I wanted to become part of a mod team to learn more about making models for games. Any type of model plus anything else I could possibly try my hand at. I can't animate or rig yet but these are all things on my massive to do list.

Yes you're right on reflection the plant thingy with heads is far to 'Barkeresque'.

I'll check in tomorrow to see if you've reached a decision

NH is correct about the AI situation. As it is we already have five or six AI models sitting around waiting to be rigged, and I have three or four more (made using Oddity's as templates) that just need some tweaks and texture work before they're ready. We simply don't need any more at the moment.

Tricko, welcome. While you have a couple models there that I'd be happy to accept as a donation (the lowpoly horse and cow are both nice) our usual procedure is to request a 'contributor project' from those wishing to join up. That serves as a test that a new applicant can take direction and actually produce something of quality (no real concerns there), and it tends to weed out those who don't have enough motivation to stick around past a few days. :)

Models need to be saved in .lwo or .ase format. We prefer objects to be 500 tris or less--if more than 500, a simplified shadowmesh is also needed. What software do you generally work with?

Here are a couple things from our object list, pick whatever interests you the most (don't feel compelled to follow the screenshots; they're just examples):

throne

http://www.creativemen.com/downloads/MiscF...Throne%2001.jpg

fancy chandelier

http://www.trendir.com/archives/la-murrina...elier-thumb.jpg

http://images.foodnetwork.com/webfood/imag.../chandelier.jpg

http://www.coleauctionsinc.com/2006%20Auct...0Chandelier.jpg

spinning wheel

http://www.woolery.com/images/ashfordart2/ashfordeliz2.jpg

http://www.worldknit.com/Merchant2/graphic...traditional.jpg

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I was gonna add that probably both the throne and spinning wheel models could be made (maybe should be made) with a basic wood texture. Not a special per object texture just a random wood grain. Model in the details instead of using a normal map. That way they could easily be reskinned with different woods. We have a few base ones that would work good (see the round stool that I believe is in the Thiefs Den demo).

This would help save resources and loading/caching during gameplay. Since there aren't any intricate carvings or anything I don't think normals are needed.

Tricko, welcome. While you have a couple models there that I'd be happy to accept as a donation (the lowpoly horse and cow are both nice) our usual procedure is to request a 'contributor project' from those wishing to join up. That serves as a test that a new applicant can take direction and actually produce something of quality (no real concerns there), and it tends to weed out those who don't have enough motivation to stick around past a few days. :)

Yes that's totally fine with me. I'll choose something from the list. Do you want me to texture it as well? These are the programs I use: 3dsmax 9, Silo 2, Mudbox and ZBrush 3.1

Do you want me to texture it as well?

Yes, absolutely.

Though as Baddcogg mentions, some of those models would work well with our generic wood textures; so if you choose one of those, you might choose to just make the UV map, and test it with a placeholder wood texture from mayang.com or the texture library of your choice. Then you can skin it with our generic wood textures later, once you have access to them (might require minor modifications to the UV layout, but nothing major I would think - just rotation and scaling so that the grain is in the right direction and of the right size, et cetera).

Model in the details instead of using a normal map. That way they could easily be reskinned with different woods.

By all means use our existing wood textures, but I would never suggest not using a normal-map. All models should use a normal-map to simulate small details (or, if nothing else, wood grain).

In the meantime a couple of old textured things I did a while back.

A WOODEN CRATE!!! How unique I here you say.

woodencrate01si5.jpg

A house I modified from an old tutorial I did a couple of years ago, that I though I'd use as a texturing exercise.

house02sl2.jpg

house01xh8.jpg

That's about it for the number of props I have in my portfolio at present.

In the meantime a couple of old textured things I did a while back.

A WOODEN CRATE!!! How unique I here you say.

woodencrate01si5.jpg

Nice, although the stamped "Fragile" is a bit too modern :)

Edit: Our crates have only 12 polys, I think the "dent" must be simulated with a normal map. Speaking of this, there is quite a low limit on how many faces/verts a collision model can have. I am not sure, but converting this crate to a collision model wouldn't work. Meaning, the collision model would unfortunately be different from the visual model, so an arrow to the center would stick a few cm in air. Curse hard-coded limits....

A house I modified from an old tutorial I did a couple of years ago, that I though I'd use as a texturing exercise.

Very nice, that would work good as an in-game shack - although then it probably should be build from brushes. But if you make the textures available (they look quite generic and good), once could make it a prefab.

Nice, although the stamped "Fragile" is a bit too modern :)

Edit: Our crates have only 12 polys, I think the "dent" must be simulated with a normal map. Speaking of this, there is quite a low limit on how many faces/verts a collision model can have. I am not sure, but converting this crate to a collision model wouldn't work. Meaning, the collision model would unfortunately be different from the visual model, so an arrow to the center would stick a few cm in air. Curse hard-coded limits....

I just put these up as old examples of some objects I've modelled. Yes I agree the "fragile" stencil does look to modern, and I doubt very much if I'd have used that had I been asked to design this specifically for TDM.

Very nice, that would work good as an in-game shack - although then it probably should be build from brushes. But if you make the textures available (they look quite generic and good), once could make it a prefab.

Yes if you're able to use them that would be good.

I just put these up as old examples of some objects I've modelled. Yes I agree the "fragile" stencil does look to modern, and I doubt very much if I'd have used that had I been asked to design this specifically for TDM.

Nevermind my critics then :)

Please note that all people who are a while with the mod start to sound like grumpy old men and constantly tell you wan't they think won't work :)

Yes if you're able to use them that would be good.

We can always use quality textures, esp. wood, and the little house looks quite inspiring.