The Dark Mod Forums

Modeller, texturer, basic animator interested in joining.

The Pope

I tried out the alpha and came away pretty impressed, and I'd like to help get this mod ready for release. Currently, I'm reasonably proficient at modelling and texturing, plus I do have a little bit of experience with animating. I can help out with whichever of those tasks need it most, though for animation I'd prefer to work on something like a zombie or steambot as I haven't got any experience at animating human characters. Animating something which is meant to have an unnatural gait would be a good way of getting practice and doing something useful at the same time. As far as previous modding experience is concerned, I've worked on a few for Mount & Blade.

Here's a previous model I've done (a bit under 3000 polies, normal mapped):

gothic%20plate.jpg

If you give me the skeleton to rig it to, I could probably get it into TDM.

Welcome Pope. We can always use more prop modellers and textures. We also need people with an understanding of Maya, who can take existing .fbx files and export them to already rigged models.

Unfortunately we don't need any character models at the moment (our standards are quite high and we have a backlog of good ones waiting to be rigged).

I'm not aware of any non-organic animating that needs to be done, but there are machines and other things that could benefit from some animations. Baddcog would probably be the most knowledgable person about that area.

We like all our AI to share the same skeleton, so that they can share animations. I do have some other AI models that need to be rigged/skinned, however. Do you have access to Maya?

No, 7 is perfect, as the Doom3 exporter doesn't work with anything newer. Do you have Deep Exploration or some kind of .lwo importer?

Sorry, I don't. I'm just starting to learn Maya myself. There is a forum on Doom 3 World dedicated to Maya, however, and they have a good list of tutorials.

Right now I've got a new steambot in the works but it's probably a ways off. I intend to animate that myself as I am in the same boat as you. I can animate but haven't really built up good skills at it and am shying away from human anims at the moment. The steambots are good practice for sure.

I personally would like to see a 3rd bot to round out the 'army' so to speak. Most of my ideas have been used up though and my current work is using a mix of stuff that concept artists have done. So if you can model, texture and animate one that would be very cool. It would be best to show the team some rough concepts first to get input as to a general direction to go. There's a pic of my frist steambot on our main page and that's generally what I'm aiming for. Lot's of brass and copper. steam tank. fancy trim (that doesn't show in the pic on main page though). a little steel for contrast. Some gears...

But as Springheel mentioned machines would also be cool. And they are a good way to practice some basic rigging, animating. We have decided to do them in pieces though for best collision data. Gears will just be static objects that use a script to rotate in game. The main body of the machine would be a seperate piece from moving parts and it's collision mesh would basically define the collision for the entire machine. Then things like pistons would be an animated object (no collision data) that would fit 'inside' t he main model. I can give more specific info later if you are interested in some of that work. Currently we are short on mechanical stuff so it would be great to have help with that.

I use Max so I can't be of much help with Maya.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

My current idea for a new steambot is a steam dalek with a gramophone for shouting at people and some kind of steampunk weapon (a tesla coil zapper, flamethrower or blackpowder gun would all fit). I can upload some quick concept art if you're interested, though if there's already high quality stuff that needs rigging then it might be a better idea to try to get that in game before starting something else. After having a look at the screenshots, I'm a bit worried about keeping up with the quality level on the guards and builders. Another idea is posing up that suit of armor as a prop to adorn the halls of victorian style mansions. To be honest, I'd prefer to either do grunt work or go from concept art at first, as I want to get a better feel for the art style of TDM before I start working on things from scratch.

I've used both max and maya, so I don't mind using whichever is more convenient.

My thought is that I could provide you with a completed character model (as soon as I can convert it to mb, which should be a day or so), and the current rig we are using for our AI, and you could try your hand at skinning/weighting the rig.

Alternatively, there are some AI that have already been rigged, but they need to have existing fbx animations exported to their .def file.

No. Do you know of anywhere I could get a tutorial that will tell me all info specific to working with Doom 3? That would be handy for getting started quickly.
I don't know why this is often overlooked:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...aracter_rigging

Alternatively, there are some AI that have already been rigged, but they need to have existing fbx animations exported to their .def file.
Exported to their def file? You need def files in order to export maya binaries to d3. FBX is motion builder & d3 does not use that format. We import fbx files to maya for converting to md5. Baddcog successfully exported md5 files from max and max is where I started.

Exported to their def file? You need def files in order to export maya binaries to d3. FBX is motion builder & d3 does not use that format. We import fbx files to maya for converting to md5. Baddcog successfully exported md5 files from max and max is where I started.

Not sure I follow you here. The Pope is using Maya...the animation files are in fbx...so he would need to load the animations into maya (don't know if Maya can import them directly or whether a plugin is needed), and then export them to d3, right? My terminology might not be perfect, but that's what I was trying to get across.

Not sure I follow you here. The Pope is using Maya...the animation files are in fbx...so he would need to load the animations into maya (don't know if Maya can import them directly or whether a plugin is needed), and then export them to d3, right? My terminology might not be perfect, but that's what I was trying to get across.
The Pope needs a plugin:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index...&id=6839916

& these settings work for that maya plugin:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=143138

My thought is that I could provide you with a completed character model (as soon as I can convert it to mb, which should be a day or so), and the current rig we are using for our AI, and you could try your hand at skinning/weighting the rig.

Ok. I can either PM you my email address or you can give me a link to the files.

ascottk: Thanks for that tutorial.

I notice all the available downloads are for Maya 8 or higher. Are those compatible with 7?

Ok. I can either PM you my email address or you can give me a link to the files.

I'll get the files ready this weekend, though I have to see if there's an updated rig being created. You can PM me your email address and I'll send it that way.

Ok Pope, I sent you the skeleton and the AI mesh. I've never done this before so let me know if you need anything else...if you have questions, Ascottk has created a good tutorial on our wiki: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...aracter_rigging

• 4 weeks later...