The Dark Mod Forums

Citywatch rig

squill

i've updated our current citywatch animation rig. You can now using IK on the hands for animations.

Select the move control (big control object at the feet to move the whole character) and look into the toolbox. You'll find 2 new options: IKFK_L_arm and IKFK_R_arm.

Before animating you can set these settings to either 0 for FK controls on the arms or 1 for IK controls. It's not a proper switch to blend between IK and FK but it's solid enough to animate with.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, spring, do you still want me to remove the shadow head? Haven't been back here in a while - devoted the time to actually working on the Darkmod instead, hehe.

Yeah give me a list of rigging that needs to be done. Maybe it is better if I do it even if it cuts into some animation development time, cause I can do it very fast.

Ah, spring, do you still want me to remove the shadow head?

Yes, the shadows will be attached to the heads themselves (I have no idea what it wasn't done that way from the start), so the body needs only enough neck to make sure there is no gap between the head shadow and neck shadow.

I'll wait until you've finished the new rig, and then can pass some AI models your way if you want them.

Yeah after deleting the head I'm already done with my part, just waiting on squill to attach the IK and handles and stuff - we agreed to split it up this way. I could add those things but he's got more experience with getting that stuff just right in Maya.

So send them now if you want :) I don't think he'll want to make any more physical changes to the skeleton at this point, we're both happy with it. He'll just be adding controls. So I can start weighting other meshes.

Ok, cool. I'll clean up one of the models and ship it over. It's the big thug character, so it will be interesting to see how well he fits the default skeleton.

Ok, I've got the thug model cleaned up and ready to go. Where would you like the file?

I've left the head on a layer for reference, but obviously you can remove it for export. Also I didn't attach any hands, as you've got your cleaned up versions from the proguard that you can cut and paste.

There also isn't a shadowmesh at the moment. I can add one if you like.

I couldn't get onto the ftp, so I uploaded it to models_src/townsfolk_thug/thug_work.lwo.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, as soon as St. Lucia is done, we have to dive right back into this. The existing AI need to be re-rigged, the existing animations need to be redone, etc, etc. I know lots of people have been busy with St. Lucia, but it's been two months since I was told this could all be done "very quickly" yet there has not been much progress that I can see (maybe people have been busy but quiet).

yes it has been a bit quiet around here ^_^ I haven't spend that much time on the mod/rig lately. Most of my time and energy went into work and just daily life. Domarius and I are getting close to test the rig ingame and setup a bunch of new animations.

The last thing i did after Domarius finished the weighting was adding an extra joint to separate the upper from the lower body like id has done. It also allows for independent hip rotations.

next task would be to adjust the weighting around the waste and apply the remaining animation controls. then we can test the model ingame with old and new animations.

Just so you know, we're looking at possibly trying to release the mod in the summer of next year--approximately eight months from now.

How long do you think it will take to finalize the new skeleton and tweak all the existing animations to work with it?

Just so you know, we're looking at possibly trying to release the mod in the summer of next year--approximately eight months from now.

How long do you think it will take to finalize the new skeleton and tweak all the existing animations to work with it?

probably till the end. Some animations need to be tweaked others re-created. I'll have a better overview once we have a complete rig up and running which i intend to finish this week.

probably till the end. Some animations need to be tweaked others re-created.

Ulp. Are you saying that just finishing the skeleton and redoing the animations that already exist (not counting making any that don't already exist) is going to take until next summer? If that's the case we'll have to seriously re-evaluate what we can have done for the 1.0 release. :(

Ulp. Are you saying that just finishing the skeleton and redoing the animations that already exist (not counting making any that don't already exist) is going to take until next summer? If that's the case we'll have to seriously re-evaluate what we can have done for the 1.0 release. :(

from my own experience i would say that we could get most animations in place before the summer. I don't think you need roughly 8 months to convert the existing animations :) If it goes well it could be finished in 1 or 2 months also keeping in mind that we have more characters which need to be adjusted to the new skeleton.

What i usually do is going back to older animations to improve them and that's something that will probably go on until the release.

If it goes well it could be finished in 1 or 2 months also keeping in mind that we have more characters which need to be adjusted to the new skeleton.

Oh believe me, I'm keeping it in mind. I'm hoping there will be more than just me who are able to help in that regard.

Ok, just so I'm clear, where exactly are we with this? Is the new skeleton finished? Did Domarius rig the proguard to use it? Are we ready to create a new md5mesh file?

Oh believe me, I'm keeping it in mind. I'm hoping there will be more than just me who are able to help in that regard.

Ok, just so I'm clear, where exactly are we with this? Is the new skeleton finished? Did Domarius rig the proguard to use it? Are we ready to create a new md5mesh file?

the skeleton is in place and binded to the meshes, i only need to connect and setup the anim controls for the arms which i'll finish tomorrow. Then we should be able to test it in-game.

this model is headless, which is fine for exporting a md5mesh, but for animating you'll want a head mesh so that's something i also have to add before starting any new animations.

if your curious how it looks/works you can take a peak in the proguard model_src folder. i've uploaded the latest version.

• 2 weeks later...

Any luck exporting? As soon as we know the skeleon is working properly and no further changes are going to be made I can start rigging some of the other characters.

Any luck exporting? As soon as we know the skeleon is working properly and no further changes are going to be made I can start rigging some of the other characters.

some vertices on the model are not binded which causes an error when i try to export. After this is fixed i'd be able to tell you more.