The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod Thief's Den Demo with Doom 3 v1.3

Cold0ne

It seems for me, no matter what I try, doom 3 crashes when I use 1.3.1 update. Yes its the 1.3.1.1304, not the 1302 which I know is bad. I dont know what it is, but the game only runs with 1.3, and thief's den demo crashes with 1.3 version. What is the big deal with 1.3.1 patch that its so needed beyond the 1.3?

Is there some hack or option I can set so the game runs simply in version 1.3?

from what I know the executables since version 1.3 are the same, so really there cant be that much important updates from version 1.3.1 that it couldnt run this mod if it was set to let it run with version 1.3. please, anyone?

What is the big deal with 1.3.1 patch that its so needed beyond the 1.3?

The SDK for version 1.3.1 has unlocked a few critical options like access to the keyboard state, which is important for TDM. Our gamex86.dll has been compiled and linked against the 1.3.1 SDK code, so it won't run on any previous version of Doom3.

Is there some hack or option I can set so the game runs simply in version 1.3?

No.

It seems for me, no matter what I try, doom 3 crashes when I use 1.3.1 update. Yes its the 1.3.1.1304, not the 1302 which I know is bad. I dont know what it is, but the game only runs with 1.3, and thief's den demo crashes with 1.3 version.

I can only ask the usual questions:

- Have you followed the installation steps as listed on our wiki?

- Have you copied the DevIL.dll into your Doom3/ folder?

But he's saying that regular Doom 3 doesn't work after patching it to 1.3.1 (with the proper 1304 patch), which is something I've never heard of before and am quite suspicious of.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I suspect either the patch was corrupt or it's been installed to the wrong directory.

Well, i found a patched executable for 1.3.1, and now the game runs. i dont know what it is, i have the game from the store, installed, updated, and it didnt work. but with the no-cd/no-serial it works. Great mod by the way, i especially liked the parts which werent so easy to figure out, like dropping the letter from the inventory and placing it in the chest. thats the kind of thing you dont see in many games, and it took me a bit to figure out instead of just clicking on the chest. also the part at the beginning of the level where you were able to crawl through small windows and onto slanted rooftops. if only the original thief was that unlimited in the gameplay :)

by the way i couldnt open the 2nd chest down in the basement. is that supposed to be opened or its just not in the demo yet?

Oh and also this makes me now want to replay thief 3. ive played thief 1 and 2 countless times, but thief 3 only once. something to do while waiting for this mod to be finished ;0

Edited by Cold0ne

by the way i couldnt open the 2nd chest down in the basement. is that supposed to be opened or its just not in the demo yet?

It's locked, but you can open it. You need to find the appropriate key, then select the key in your inventory and press the "inventory use" key (not the frob key / RMB).

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I found a key which opened the chest upstairs and the 2nd key was under the door at the end of the level. i tried both keys on the unopened chest using both "use inventory" and "action" buttons. maybe im not thiefy enough and missed a key somewhere. but i will admit back in the thief 1 & 2 days i would play very thoroughly and found most secrets.

I found a key which opened the chest upstairs and the 2nd key was under the door at the end of the level. i tried both keys on the unopened chest using both "use inventory" and "action" buttons. maybe im not thiefy enough and missed a key somewhere. but i will admit back in the thief 1 & 2 days i would play very thoroughly and found most secrets.

The thief has a key on him and there is a key on the table in the room with the fireplace.

The thief has a key on him and there is a key on the table in the room with the fireplace.

Ah, i tried searching the bodies but i never got anything, so that part of the mod needs to be improved. like in the thief games in the first game you had to move your view so that the key or loot would highlight instead of the body. in thief 2 they gave an option to where you autosearched a body, if you just clicked on it you would get the items on him (and a sound was played so you knew).

There is a lightgem related bug where some models turn invisible. Not everyone gets it, but some do. I get it and the key is completely invisible to me, so maybe this happens to you as well? The key should be:

On the thief character (with the hood), on the back of his belt and on his right side.

Do you see it there, or is it invisible?

Yes I see it now, at first I just wasnt looking close enough or he had fallen in such a way that it was facing closer to the ground. thanks. how far is this mod done by the way? i mean as far as levels completed? can we expect it in 2008?

There is a lightgem related bug where some models turn invisible. Not everyone gets it, but some do. I get it and the key is completely invisible to me, so maybe this happens to you as well? The key should be:

On the thief character (with the hood), on the back of his belt and on his right side.

Do you see it there, or is it invisible?

There are no levels completed, and there may only be a couple/few at release time, since the mod is not about making levels, but is all about making a set of tools and resources with which to make levels.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

There are no levels completed, and there may only be a couple/few at release time, since the mod is not about making levels, but is all about making a set of tools and resources with which to make levels.

I see, well if im not lazy in the future i might make some maps myself when this gets released.

I see, well if im not lazy in the future i might make some maps myself when this gets released.

You can begin learning how to make maps now, with the assets in this alpha release. Just download Dark Radiant and start building. Anything you build now will likely need to be fixed to work with the later releases, but it's good practice.

For some odd reason, this game is chugging on me and I have a 3800, 2 gigs of RAM and a 7800GTX

Update: Yeah, I'm having the problem on Doom 3 as well. I had this issue when I played it back on my x800XT PE. The damn game is chugging, like right from the options screen, the mouse moves slowl Mars flies to the screen like its playing on a 5700U or something like that, but I know my card is overly powerful to pimp this game. I have the latest nVidia drivers and 1.3.1. If anyone knows what the deal is, I would greatly appreciate it

Edited by TheGreyFox

For some odd reason, this game is chugging on me and I have a 3800, 2 gigs of RAM and a 7800GTX

Update: Yeah, I'm having the problem on Doom 3 as well. I had this issue when I played it back on my x800XT PE. The damn game is chugging, like right from the options screen, the mouse moves slowl Mars flies to the screen like its playing on a 5700U or something like that, but I know my card is overly powerful to pimp this game. I have the latest nVidia drivers and 1.3.1. If anyone knows what the deal is, I would greatly appreciate it

Try the usual, reinstall latest directx drivers, latest soundcard drivers for your card, try software sound in the game to see if its the soundcard, try other sound drivers in the game, try setting between stereo and surround, try turning all the graphics options to the lowest in the game and see if its smooth, then put them on 1 at a time and see which option causes it, if any. also of course is your doom 3 updated to 1.3 at least?

not sure what else to try. when i do all these things it generally helped me locate the cause with any games in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't even get the shortcut to say the path is valid .

My Doom 3 game is in C:Program Files/Doom 3

I followed the instruction exactly but it won't even let me cut and past the shortcut command line from the WIKI. What gives here? WHat am I doing wrong?

I tried to put the files into C:Program Files/Doom 3 but that doesn not work either as there are two Base folders.

I can't even get the shortcut to say the path is valid .

My Doom 3 game is in C:Program Files/Doom 3

I followed the instruction exactly but it won't even let me cut and past the shortcut command line from the WIKI. What gives here? WHat am I doing wrong?

I tried to put the files into C:Program Files/Doom 3 but that doesn not work either as there are two Base folders.

Is that how you were typing the path into the shortcut? If so, that wouldn't work...as Nyarl pointed out, it should have c:\

Let us know how you get along.