The Dark Mod Forums

Ambient Music

DeargDoom

• 7 months later...

Do you guys need more ambient music?

I decided to release all the music I had done for the Hammerite Imperium to the community. I made over 60 minutes of music for it - mostly ambient, neoclassical, and such mellow stuff that works as unobtrusive background music, but there is also one electro/industrial metal tune. Everyone is free to use these in their FMs, and other non-profit ventures, so they wouldn't be exclusive to Dark Mod or any other project, but you have my permission to include/distribute them with Dark Mod if you so wish. You can even modify them if you want to.

I've been meaning to release all of these for quite some time now, but I just kept procrastinating. I had to redo one song (Disturbed) from scratch because of file corruption and I wanted to remix everything after I had learned more about mixing, mastering, etc. Well, long story short, I finally took the time to lay this eternity project to rest, and you can download all the finished stuff from the first link below.

- More Information & Downloads

- Listen to all the songs in order @ Mikseri

- 160 kbps MP3 files hosted at Mikseri

- '16 bit 44 kHz' wav files hosted by the good folk at Darklurker:

http://www.darklurker.com/sounds/atolonen/...bit44kHzWav.zip

http://www.darklurker.org/sounds/atolonen/...bit44kHzWav.zip

- 16 bit, 44kHz wave files @ Filefront

EDIT: added links to CD quality '16 bit 44 kHz' wav files

Edited by atolonen

Download my thiefy ambient music
(creative commons licence - you can use, edit, etc. them any way you wish for free in non-profit projects)

Going to listen to these as I work. I'm only 75% through the first one (in-order play) and have a big grin on my face. :)

Edit: are the streamed versions low bitrate? Sound a bit muffled.

Glad to hear the stuff is grin-inducing. I hope it's a happy grin. :)

As far as I know the streamed versions are lower bitrate. Don't know what their actual bitrate is, because the site didn't deem it necessary to tell me. They were converted automatically from the 160 kbps versions by the site when I uploaded those. Therefore you get one mp3 compression on top of another one on the streaming versions. Not exactly HiFi stuff, but at least the downloadable 160 kbps versions are unaltered by the site.

(creative commons licence - you can use, edit, etc. them any way you wish for free in non-profit projects)

Those all sound excellent to me! Our sound department is a tad inactive right now, so there may be no immediate 'offical' response, but I think we would be missing a great opportunity if we didn't include these in the release package.

Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what Id's website says about the format:

Valid sound files are 1 or 2 channel, 16 bit OGG or WAV files at 11025, 22050 or 44100 Hz

We're using Ogg Vorbis format for most of our sounds, including the ambients. The ambients can be 2 channel since they don't have to be directionally located ingame. I'm sure someone would be happy to convert them, or if you'd like to that would be great too.

Thank ye guys.

The good people of darklurker.com & darklurker.org agreed to host the '16 bit 44 kHz' wave files, and you can download a zip archive of all the songs from either of these links (my initial post also contains these links now):

- http://www.darklurker.com/sounds/atolonen/...bit44kHzWav.zip

- http://www.darklurker.org/sounds/atolonen/...bit44kHzWav.zip

We're using Ogg Vorbis format for most of our sounds, including the ambients. The ambients can be 2 channel since they don't have to be directionally located ingame. I'm sure someone would be happy to convert them, or if you'd like to that would be great too.

I think it's probably most convenient if you guys do the conversion. That way you can use the exact settings, quality, etc. you want with them, and you can do whatever editing you want on the uncompressed source waves without worrying about losing quality.

These are really good atolonen! Gave me goosebumps listening to disturbed (piano low echo) whilst picturing creeping through a dark mansion :)

I think I can hear a bit of Tool inspiration on the more structured tracks with bass and drums, would that be right?

Thank ye. That echoed piano thing is one of my favorite parts, if not the favorite, of the whole package. And I generally don't even enjoy piano that much. Well, good things can happen when one just bangs the keyboard when he's bored :)

Tool wasn't a direct influence, but I do acknowledge the similarities. Some have also compared it to Massive Attack, although I don't really hear the likeness myself. Also, You can probably tell I was inspired by the Moira themes in Thief 3 when it comes to some of my piano & strings stuff in Disturbed.

Edited by atolonen

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!

First of I'm a big Thief fan and I'm very pleased that there's another project going on. :laugh:

I'm also producing in Reason and I'm now experimenting with some scary, dark atmosphere.

I'll test myself in dark ambient genre and see what I can do.

This is what I made yesterday in two hours but it's ment to be an intro for my new track I think the mids are exposed too much.

Still I have some sounds to add and fix.

Uruk(Short unfinished intro)

Here's also one dark ambient track from my favourite artist Alek Szahala (Aszgarnak). The begining and end of the track is the most suitable for gameplay in my opinion the middle is a bit too disorted. Here it is:

Aszgarnak - Shinnae

If I make a decent ambient track I'll post it here for you to hear.

Just how long should the track be?

Aryx

tzl1l.png