The Dark Mod Forums

Darkradiant.exe - entry point not found error

HappyCheeze

Hello all, this is my first post, and unfourtantly it is about an error. I've tried looking on the site for this error and googling it to no avail. I got TDM to work on doom3 and I beat it. So I downloaded Dark Radiant and I get this error

The procedure entry point SymFromAddr could not be located in the dynamic link library dbghelp.dll

Thats it, I can't get into dark radiant or anything, just this dialog box. I'd appreciate it if anyone has any ideas.

Thank you.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Hello all, this is my first post, and unfourtantly it is about an error. I've tried looking on the site for this error and googling it to no avail. I got TDM to work on doom3 and I beat it. So I downloaded Dark Radiant and I get this error

The procedure entry point SymFromAddr could not be located in the dynamic link library dbghelp.dll

Thats it, I can't get into dark radiant or anything, just this dialog box. I'd appreciate it if anyone has any ideas.

Thank you.

What operating system and what version of DarkRadiant are you using?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

What operating system and what version of DarkRadiant are you using?

I am using win2k, my xp got corrupted and I'll reinstall it in the future.

Dark radiant version is whatever the site http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net/ had on it so 0.9.5

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Can you head to the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder and tell me which version the file dbghelp.dll has on your end? Right-click the file, go to properties and then version.

My version is 5.1.2600.2180 which seems to be the most recent one, according to information I found on some forums.

Can you head to the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder and tell me which version the file dbghelp.dll has on your end? Right-click the file, go to properties and then version.

My version is 5.1.2600.2180 which seems to be the most recent one, according to information I found on some forums.

Thats what mine says

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

This seems to be an older version of that file. Which version of Win2k are you running? The latest service pack is installed? I don't have any Win2000 boxes available here, so I can't really reproduce anything.

I should have googled:

When running my program with VLD linked to it I get an error message saying, "the procedure entry point SymFromAddr could not be located in the dynamic link library dbghelp.dll".

This typically only happens on Windows 2000. It will happen if the Debug Help Library is out-of-date. Copy the included version of dbghelp.dll (version 6.3) to the directory where the executable you are debugging resides. If dbghelp.dll is missing for some reason, you can get it by installing Debugging Tools for Windows. I recommend installing version 6.3.

http://dmoulding.googlepages.com/vld-1.0-README.html

@greebo: Do we actually need to link against this DLL?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Now I feel stupid :huh: , I should update asap.

I'll try that and see what happens.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

@Tels: I cannot say why DR needs this library in the first place, all the files are compiled in release mode. Maybe this is a remnant from GtkRadiant? I recall seeing some VC++-specific code in the "stacktrace" files, maybe these require methods from this DLL.

edit: Yes, as I suspected: there is some debug-help code in radiant/stacktrace.cpp, which should help to locate program crashes. It's VC++ specific, that's why we never saw this before the 0.9.5 release. I should consider packaging the dbghelp.dll file along with DarkRadiant, if we're permitted to.

@HappyCheeze: Please let us know what happens after you update the files. This is interesting to know.

@Tels: I cannot say why DR needs this library in the first place, all the files are compiled in release mode. Maybe this is a remnant from GtkRadiant? I recall seeing some VC++-specific code in the "stacktrace" files, maybe these require methods from this DLL.

edit: Yes, as I suspected: there is some debug-help code in radiant/stacktrace.cpp, which should help to locate program crashes. It's VC++ specific, that's why we never saw this before the 0.9.5 release. I should consider packaging the dbghelp.dll file along with DarkRadiant, if we're permitted to.

Or we could not include this code into release versions? Is it useful for when the program crashes for end-users?

Or we could not include this code into release versions? Is it useful for when the program crashes for end-users?

I've only seen this in action once - it seems to give you a detailed back trace in a popup window when a crash has occurred, even in release mode. If users post a screenshot of that one, this can help programmers quite a bit, I imagine.

Updating didn't fix it. :-(

I still get this error. -_-

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Updating didn't fix it. :-(

I still get this error. -_-

You could try to put this file into the same folder as where DarkRadiant.exe is.

@HappyCheeze: Yes, try putting that dbghelp.dll file (with the version I posted above) in the darkradiant folder.

If this doesn't help I can try taking out the offending code and compile a special version for you.

@HappyCheeze: Yes, try putting that dbghelp.dll file (with the version I posted above) in the darkradiant folder.

How shall I get this file?

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

If it was installed, it would likely be in your system32 folder I guess. Try doing a search for it too.

Alright I'll run a search, check each one to see if it is the needed version and stick it into my dark radiant folder.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the long delay :-(

My profs picked this week to be the first exam week, so now I've got some free time.

I just put the latest dll file from another folder on my comp into the de folder.

That worked!

DE loads and it askes for the mod path, and it says the fs_game folder doesn't exist now.

Oh well, one problem done, another comes up.

I'm gonna search around for this now.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

I read another fourm post on here and set the mod folder to base.

I'm looking at some tuts, and I'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the help

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|