The Dark Mod Forums

The New York Football Giants

Unstoppable

From the first game they cheated on this season to all the other accusations The Patriots have faced. One team showed at the end of the season they had what it took.

Going from a wild card to no one believing in them (except true fans like myself), winning all their playoff games on the road and then onto the Superbowl Championship. There is one team that remained standing to face the odds. The majority were against them but they managed to hold The Patriots and win the world championship.

Tonight, evil has been defeated and good has prevailed. It just goes to show that cheating will come back to get you Bill Bellichick. Today we are champions.

If none of you saw the game you should definately see the replay. There were some moments that were nothing short of Divine Intervention. It was the best Superbowl i've ever seen in my life.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm happy the Giants won.

Cowboys are my "home" home team, and the Giants are my recently adopted home team.

But you don't have to be from NY to appreciate how cool it is that they won ... upset of the decade.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I watched the game. I wouldn't ordinarily, but it was a social 'event', and I tried my best to drag myself through it. It was...tedious.

I just don't get it, and I imagine I never will. They throw the ball around (dropping it often), wear tight pants and fling testosterone-induced angst around. They do that for a while, then someone 'wins'. It can be a fun game to play, but what the hell am I watching it for?

The high point I think was Audi's R8 commercial, and only for the brief few seconds its throaty engine was being put through its paces, playing gorgeous notes through the various bends and baffles of its exhaust system. And I'm not really much of a car guy either...

And good versus evil? What the hell? I'd say someone here needs a cold, hard reality check.

It was a good day robbing all those houses of people who went out to watch this silly contest of acceptable violence :)

That's why you couldn't watch it in a church:

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/08/02/02/2032250.shtml

*shakes head* Silly americans. They don't have their priorities right.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

From the first game they cheated on this season to all the other accusations The Patriots have faced. One team showed at the end of the season they had what it took.

Going from a wild card to no one believing in them (except true fans like myself), winning all their playoff games on the road and then onto the Superbowl Championship. There is one team that remained standing to face the odds. The majority were against them but they managed to hold The Patriots and win the world championship.

Tonight, evil has been defeated and good has prevailed. It just goes to show that cheating will come back to get you Bill Bellichick. Today we are champions.

If none of you saw the game you should definately see the replay. There were some moments that were nothing short of Divine Intervention. It was the best Superbowl i've ever seen in my life.

Why do you care?

A bunch of men you don't know throw a ball around better than another group of men you don't know, and you're wetting you pants about it.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Why do you care?

A bunch of men you don't know throw a ball around better than another group of men you don't know, and you're wetting you pants about it.

Well, before I started to play icehockey myself, I also didn't understand it. :) Now I can see why you may care. But I guess for me it's different than for most fans. I like to watch Icehockey, because I want to see how the good players perform. How they move on the ice, how they position themselve and so on. I don't particularly care for a single team, because I don't want to see a team (which consists of different players almost every season anyway), I want to see the sport itself being performed in a good way.

But talking to other people, I seem to be rather unique with this view, because most of the fans religously follow their team which I can understand to some extent, but don't share that much myself.

That's why I'm also not depressed when "my team" looses. If they didn't play well, then they deserved it, and if they played well and still lost, because the oponent was better, well that's the way it is in sports. I rather see a good game lost if the team at least tried to fight for the win, than a bad game won because the oponent is so lousy that you just can't help it but winning.

Gerhard

*shakes head* Silly americans. They don't have their priorities right.

-Agreed. However, I must say I'm happy that this kind of entertainment got Unstoppable excited and feel a sensation of achievement.

I remember, when I was younger, how exciting Finland - Sweden world championship icehockey matches used to be. Nowadays I just don't care anymore; they are an acceptable excuse to drink beer with my buddies.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Well, before I started to play icehockey myself, I also didn't understand it. :) Now I can see why you may care. But I guess for me it's different than for most fans. I like to watch Icehockey, because I want to see how the good players perform. How they move on the ice, how they position themselve and so on. I don't particularly care for a single team, because I don't want to see a team (which consists of different players almost every season anyway), I want to see the sport itself being performed in a good way.

But talking to other people, I seem to be rather unique with this view, because most of the fans religously follow their team which I can understand to some extent, but don't share that much myself.

That's why I'm also not depressed when "my team" looses. If they didn't play well, then they deserved it, and if they played well and still lost, because the oponent was better, well that's the way it is in sports. I rather see a good game lost if the team at least tried to fight for the win, than a bad game won because the oponent is so lousy that you just can't help it but winning.

There's a difference between studying something, and simply looking at it for entertainment.

Humans are really strange creatures. If you just think of it objectively, it's seems an utterly bizarre concept - millions of people sitting around watching a group of grown men playing with a ball.

Sport seems to have become magnified to a level of importance beyond all bounds of reason or logic.

Even I've found myself watching the world cup final, though I have no interest in football, simply because it's become such a big event.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Humans are really strange creatures. If you just think of it objectively, it's seems an utterly bizarre concept - millions of people sitting around watching a group of grown men playing with a ball.

I don't really have a problem with people wanting to watch this. My gripe is more with people who beat up other people because they don't share the enthusiasm for the same team. I find it more bizarre that poeple are going to a football match and beat each other up about it. That's what I erally find bizarre about it, because it's not even as if this would change something. And it even hurts the sport more than it helps.

Sport seems to have become magnified to a level of importance beyond all bounds of reason or logic.

Well, that's simple market economy. If enough poeple want to see it, you can make money from it, which in turn raises the salaries of the players, because they also want a share of that cake. I find it rather strange if soccer players earn three digit millions per year just because of that.

Gerhard

A bunch of steriod pumpin jock chasing a ball around a feild getting paid millions of dollars a year when real people working their asses off doing good things for the world get nothing... Football is

a farce IMO.

(and don't say they don't use steriods to get that big, all professional athletes do, they just know how to cover it up - it's not that hard when millions are on the line)

But what ever floats yer boat...

At one time I actually had fun playing football with some friends, but that was playing, there's a level of involvement. I don't like to watch TV so watching someone else play a game on TV, it would be just as exciing to watch someone play Thief on TV except I couldn't get all excited with a bunch of nincompoops about it.

It was funny, I was in a store yesterday buying something and the clerk asked if I was gonna 'the bowl' saturday. When I said football was a waste of time and money his jaw hit the floor. It's sad when something like that becomes so engrained in society that people can't fathom someone out there isn't intersted, I mean how could you not be right?

Of course this was the same guy that once told me he 'used to BMX', but quit because he crashed and it hurt. I've crashed down entire mountain sides, crashed in streams, falling off logs, crashed hard on pavement a million times on a bike. I do it 'cause it's fun, but still watching bike videos bores me to a large degree.

BTW Unstoppable, Good won't prevail until evil's like football are realized to be what they really are by the masses. But the masses are to ignorant to think for themselves so evil will never truly be defeated. To defeat evil you must look within and start there. :)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Oh please, again with this 'anyone who likes anything popular that I don't like must be a mindless sheep' claptrap that infects this forum. I don't give a toss about American Football, or real football for that matter, but it's not hard to work out why people enjoy it.

Watching a good game of sport is like watching a good film - you have the emotional ups and downs, the stories, the twists, the flashes of raw excitement. Watching sport has been popular for thousands of years so you can't blame it on 'teh evil corporations' telling us what to think.

Right, I'm off the the hippodrome to watch two roman centurions try to behead each other. Sponsored by the goddess Nike of course.

Of course this was the same guy that once told me he 'used to BMX', but quit because he crashed and it hurt.

HAHA! That reminds me of the people on the hockey forum or in the hall watching a game. I bet 90% of them can't even properly skate, but they complain that the guys on the ice are not moving fast enough or do this or that wrong. Yeah, it's easy to complain when you watch it from the ranks. Of course, you can argue that they are professionals and so they should be able to do better, but then again, the same holds true for their oponent and they are not standing idly around either. I always love this stereotype of the fat guy sitting in his living room chair where he can barely lift out from, watching a football match while stuffing popcorn in his mouth and at the same time screaming that the lazy bitches on the field should move. :laugh:

I've crashed down entire mountain sides, crashed in streams, falling off logs, crashed hard on pavement a million times on a bike. I do it 'cause it's fun, but still watching bike videos bores me to a large degree.

Depends. I like to watch a sport event, especially if I do it myself as well. It can be interesting to see how others perform and what they do and such. It really helps to get motivated (at least for me) and also to try out some other things. As Oddity said, I usually see this more like studying it, than just watching it for entertainment. Even though it's also a form of entertainment of course. :)

Gerhard

Oh please, again with this 'anyone who likes anything popular that I don't like must be a mindless sheep' claptrap that infects this forum. I don't give a toss about American Football, or real football for that matter, but it's not hard to work out why people enjoy it.

Watching a good game of sport is like watching a good film - you have the emotional ups and downs, the stories, the twists, the flashes of raw excitement. Watching sport has been popular for thousands of years so you can't blame it on 'teh evil corporations' telling us what to think.

Right, I'm off the the hippodrome to watch two roman centurions try to behead each other. Sponsored by the goddess Nike of course.

It wan't called Nike in those days Macsen, it was called the ROMAN EMPIRE. Is there a difference? Well, Nike doesn't make the players play, but they do exploit the players and their customers and charge WAY to much for their 3rd world slaveshop shoes because of it.

No, the Roman Empire just made people fight to the death because they could, because they had more power and money and could make people slaves...hmmm, sounding more like Nike now that I think about it...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

That's what I said. It's simple entertainment for uncouth morons. I think most good films (hell, even the bad ones) involve slightly more than a ball being kicked or thrown around a field.

It's for people who can't think of any more complex way to excite or occupy their shrivelled brains. Anything more complex that 'yea my team is kicking the ball better' or 'boo, the other team is kicking the ball better' causes synaptic overload in these patients.

- Emil Zola

character models site

OK football fans are uncouth morons, but as the old saying goes: 'Rugby is a thug's game for gentlemen, football is a gentlemen's game for thugs.' ^_^

But seriously if you can't surrender to your base instincts to have a little fun once in a while, you're probably some tibetan monk.

Instead of going down to a certain level of idiocy I'll just explain my position.

Football takes a lot of skill, hard work, dedication, and studying. The players have classroom, film, and hundreds if not thousands of plays they memorize in their minds. It takes the level of dedication needed to work in the video game industry and perhaps even more.

There's a reason why this win was so important. The majority of the people watching it always thought The Giants had no chance etc but they kept proving everyone wrong. It was the classic battle of David vs Goliath. Of the kid standing up to the bully in the school yard and punching him in the mouth.

The best part about it is that The New York Giants redeemed every other team that was crushed by The Patriots this season. The Patriots ran the score up when they clearly had the win in the bag. They elected to not rest their players and go for the perfect season while crushing every other teams hope.

They played dirty, were caught cheating, and I believe GOD came in and punished them harshly for their sins. Yesterday was the best day in professional Football (American) history. A day where mere mortals where transported into legends. For everyone out there who never believed in miracles they can't say they don't exist.

Just watch this play for yourself and you will understand. :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZPE1ZlKPCQ

What the New York Giants have done is stop Goliath. They will go down as legends and will be remembered for a long time to come. Long live The 2007-08 New York Football Giants. Heroes and Legends of the game who beat the undefeated.

Here's a great song explaining everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxVz4zB1QiU&NR=1

Edited by Unstoppable

There's a reason why this win was so important.

The win was important to the owner of the Giant's and anyone else who profits or is in a position to profit. That's about it, really.

They will go down as legends and will be remembered for a long time to come.

Not in my book. They're still just a bunch of guys who get paid to throw a ball around and run into each other, just as they were before they even stepped onto the field on Sunday. It's an interesting career, no doubt, but they probably accomplish about as much in their entire careers as a paramedic or firefighter achieves in a single day, and likely far, far less than that.

I think oddity is pretty much bang on here.

Going from a wild card to no one believing in them (except true fans like myself).

What? You were a Miami Dolphins fan a few weeks ago! I don't follow this 'foozball' but I think that's what they call a 'fumble'.

But all is forgiven since I'm not sure how American Football teams manage to hold on to their fans at all given that they can just move shop to a more profitable area at the drop of a hat. Why, the rugby team I support (formed in 1872) tried to move half a mile from one stadium in the centre of town to one just on the side of town and there's been a three year campaign to keep them where they are.