The Dark Mod Forums

ascottk - thief_mb\fbx_import.mb is out of sync with thief_mb\theifmesh.mb

Domarius

Every time I try to import motionbuilder animations and export them to Doom 3, it won't load the thief when I test it, saying # of joints in the animation don't match the mesh.

I checked the SVN logs and noticed the thiefmesh.mb was updated recently, but the fbx_import.mb is still the original version that was first uploaded, that might be why.

Ishtvan is waiting on the combat anims to be added to the player but unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to fix this.

Um, I think Ish is wanting the 1st person anims (like the sword, blackjack, bow etc.) & not the thief mesh.

Also the thief mesh is using citywatch anims now so the model_src/thief_mb animations no longer work. I didn't have a chance to remove the source files but now they're gone.

He does need the first person and body anims for the player though, he told me in a PM. He might use the player body sword for collision with the AI's sword.

Oh wow I just realised something - tdm_player_thief.def is first person anims, tdm_ai_thief.def is the body anims, right? That might be why just copying the md5anim files over didn't work, because I edited the wrong .def file.

Yeah it should work fine in Max.

@ascottk - so how do we get anims onto the Thief body now? I tried copying the citywatch md5anims and making the new entries in the tdm_player_thief.def, no go, Doom 3 complains # of joints don't match.

No two AI are rigged the same (stray vertices etc.) so you need to reexport.

He does need the first person and body anims for the player though, he told me in a PM. He might use the player body sword for collision with the AI's sword.

I don't actually need the body anims for the player in order to test melee combat, just the first person. The thief eventually needs them, but that's not too high a priority. If they're done though, that's great, any character with them will be good for testing melee combat.

The thief model uses the citywatch SOURCE animations. That's how we've been SHARING animations.

Thanks, I see now, tdm_ai_thief points to citywatch_mb for the animations but thief_mb for the mesh. To me, sharing could mean using the same FBX files, using the same mb files, or using the same md5anims, and I've never done the latter two - my attempts just end in # joint errors but I think I get it now and I'll have another go at my next opportunity.

Was going to send this as a PM but it seems you've disabled PMs. :) Sometimes you sound impatient - but try to remember not everyone has your knowledge. This is how I share info. I didn't talk down to him or be unessecarily brief, I just gave him the info he asked for in the best way I could. That one was complex, but I was thorough too cause if they have another question, it'll be 24 hours till they get a reply and can continue working. Plus info like that can go straight into the Wiki, never to be re-explained again. Think of the big picture! :)

I don't actually need the body anims for the player in order to test melee combat, just the first person. The thief eventually needs them, but that's not too high a priority. If they're done though, that's great, any character with them will be good for testing melee combat.

Oh okay good, cause I wasn't sure if I was going to find the time to add them to the player before the weekend. They are done for the citywatch, and sqill is doing the first person anims.

Besides, all characters are different sizes. If md5anim joints fit the md5mesh of any character then they'll change sizes depending on the animations since animations dictate the size of the character. I seem impatient because I thought you knew this shit already & I should know better.

I don't know any shit, so I'll ask. :)

I read the wiki page about modifying the size of AI, so I understand the basic concept, but I'm not exactly sure how it works in practice.

Let's say you're applying the citywatch animations to the much smaller thief model. When you add the -scale .90 option to the export, does that affect the thief's mesh AND all animations? If so, it seems like it would cause problems unless the thief's original mesh size just happened to match the citywatch's. Or does the export option only affect new animations, but not ones already exported, so you can change the value each time?

And if so, how do you decide what value to use? Is it just trial and error?

I don't know any shit, so I'll ask. :)

I read the wiki page about modifying the size of AI, so I understand the basic concept, but I'm not exactly sure how it works in practice.

Let's say you're applying the citywatch animations to the much smaller thief model. When you add the -scale .90 option to the export, does that affect the thief's mesh AND all animations? If so, it seems like it would cause problems unless the thief's original mesh size just happened to match the citywatch's. Or does the export option only affect new animations, but not ones already exported, so you can change the value each time?

It depends on where the -scale option used. You can affect the mesh independently from the animations & vise-versa or you can add the -scale option per animation. Look through the def files for a better idea.
And if so, how do you decide what value to use? Is it just trial and error?
I based those values from suggestions a long while ago. There was a thread a couple years ago with resizing values.

And to follow up on copying md5anims from one character to another, even if the # of joints as well as using the same joints (not to mention the same rotations):

Suppose you copy the run.md5anim from the citywatch to the run.md5anim of the thief. The thief will grow when he runs because the citywatch is bigger than the thief. That happened with me quite a bit when I was trying to figure this stuff out.

Besides, all characters are different sizes. If md5anim joints fit the md5mesh of any character then they'll change sizes depending on the animations since animations dictate the size of the character. I seem impatient because I thought you knew this shit already & I should know better.
That's what I mean :) You've done stuff I haven't, it's been a while since I've done this, and not everything is on the wiki yet. Of course, make a reasonable assumption on how much they know, but then err on the side of caution and give a bit more info, because it's a forum and responses are a day apart. And just relax! :) Swearing is really unnecessary.

It depends on where the -scale option used. You can affect the mesh independently from the animations & vise-versa or you can add the -scale option per animation. Look through the def files for a better idea.

I just thought of something, if the rotation messes up the view cone angle, wouldn't scale mess up the view cone origin?