The Dark Mod Forums

Some entity properties not listed; which and why

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, of course it can be queried by the code without being defined in the def. There are of course some of those, but not that many to justify ripping your hair out. ;)

For this specific case, there is even a wiki article about defining shop items.

Consider this my jump into adding to the docs. Here's my attempt; if you guys are happy with it, I'll commit it:

"editor_var shop_gold_start"	"Player's starting gold amount."
"editor_var shopItem_1_item"	"First in list of available shop items (increment number to add more)."
"editor_var shopItem_1_qty"		"The available count of the corresponding shop item."
"editor_var shopItem_1_0_qty"	"The available count of the corresponding shop item with skill level (0 in this case) as a qualifier."
"editor_var shopItem_1_cost"	"The cost to purchase the corresponding shop item."
"editor_var startingItem_1_item"	"First in list of starting equipment on Player (increment number to add more)."
"editor_var startingItem_1_qty"		"The count of the corresponding starting equipment."
"editor_var startingItem_1_0_qty"	"The count of the corresponding starting equipment with skill level (0 in this case) as a qualifier."

@greebo: if you can think of any off the top of your head, especially ones which the user should know about, shout 'em out.

Consider this my jump into adding to the docs. Here's my attempt; if you guys are happy with it, I'll commit it:

appreciated :)

"editor_var shop_gold_start"	"Player's starting gold amount."

perhaps add something like 'only to spend in the pre-mission shop' cause you don't take it into the mission

"editor_var shopItem_1_0_qty"	"The available count of the corresponding shop item with skill level (0 in this case) as a qualifier."

perhaps add to '0 in this case' something like '0=easy, 1=hard, 2=expert'

Yep, works in DR. Good suggestions also; I'll make changes and put them up.

Very good, much appreciated! :wub:

One thing you could do is modify the "editor_var" to "editor_int" when appropriate, f.i. quantities and gold can only be integers.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hm, I had a feeling that would be the case. But I was a bit concerned, not knowing if behind the scenes a string->int conversion took place or not. For example with _cost. Maybe it wants a string, and if I changed it to int, it would break the whole thing... :unsure:

I'll try it. If suddenly the whole thing stops working (hopefully) we will remember why. ;)

Hm, I had a feeling that would be the case. But I was a bit concerned, not knowing if behind the scenes a string->int conversion took place or not. For example with _cost. Maybe it wants a string, and if I changed it to int, it would break the whole thing... :unsure:

I'll try it. If suddenly the whole thing stops working (hopefully) we will remember why. ;)

The "type" for the editor variables is just there to restrict the user input in DR. This helps the user to enter the right values, if it says "int", the editor won't allow entering "12.5", likewise for bool, it restricts it to true/false (and these are "1" and "0" respectively), so the user can't accidentily enter "4" :)

Float means any number like 0.5, 12.2 etc, but it won't allow "abc". "snd" lets the user easily choose a snd and so on.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Anything?

I have done it now. Sorry for the delay, I was ill and barely able to start my computer.

Btw, you can check that the changes work by doing:

* run perl devel/inspect.pl in the SVN directory

* browse to devel/doc/index.html locally with your browser

:)

Added a new feature to the GUI: The "Undocumented" tab now also lists all entities without an "editor_usage" spawnarg. (This about 524 or roughly 50% of all entities... :o

Are these editor variables documented somewhere? I mean, what are the names of all possible variables and what is their purpose?

Apparently most of them are not documented:

http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/doc/#search-editor

Ah, they're there. Thanks :)

Btw, you can check that the changes work by doing:

* run perl devel/inspect.pl in the SVN directory

* browse to devel/doc/index.html locally with your browser

The first one makes me :blink: but the second I thought easy enough. I tried every URL starting from /doc[/devel/doc... etc] backing up all the way to bloodgate/ and got 404 not found. What's the full path?

BTW I was just mousing over table headers and two of them really confuse me:

* Description (in the "not set on this entity" table; doesn't appear on the upper table at all): "Entity where the documentation is defined". That doesn't seem right.

* And Inherited still confuses the hell out of me, I think just in how it's worded: "Is this spawnarg documented here, or the documentation merely inherited?" With a value of No or Yes. Huh? I'd suggest either only offering one possibility ("Whether the spawnarg is documented on this entity"), since it gives one answer (No or Yes), or changing the name of the column or the answer. I keep almost grasping the possible meaning, but it's definitely ambiguous and seems backwards in nature.

Ah, they're there. Thanks :)

The first one makes me :blink: but the second I thought easy enough. I tried every URL starting from /doc[/devel/doc... etc] backing up all the way to bloodgate/ and got 404 not found. What's the full path?

Go to "File -> Open File" (CTRL+O) in Firefox. I don't know in IE, but it should be similiar. No HTTP, etc. but something like "file://C:/blah balh"

* Description (in the "not set on this entity" table; doesn't appear on the upper table at all): "Entity where the documentation is defined". That doesn't seem right.

I answer this tomorrow, run out of time. ;)

* And Inherited still confuses the hell out of me, I think just in how it's worded: "Is this spawnarg documented here, or the documentation merely inherited?" With a value of No or Yes. Huh? I'd suggest either only offering one possibility ("Whether the spawnarg is documented on this entity"), since it gives one answer (No or Yes), or changing the name of the column or the answer. I keep almost grasping the possible meaning, but it's definitely ambiguous and seems backwards in nature.

English is not my first language :)

I changed it to "Whether the spawnarg is documented on this entity" :)

How do you know how to add descriptions?

Add what descriptions where? *confused*

something like "file://C:/blah balh"

Oh! Duh. I was thinking you meant access bloodgate to see it. :blush:

English is not my first language :)

Sorry, I always forget that, and didn't even think of the possibility in this case (a compliment). German, I assume? If I'm not remembering that from a distant memory, perhaps I'm just playing the percentages. ;)

Sorry - thought you were adding spawnarg descriptions.

A great many of the entities themselves (not just their spawnargs) are missing "editor_usage" entries, just a basic description of the entity.

I've added descriptions for inv_droppable, inv_name, inv_icon to entityDef atdm:moveable_base. I need to add 'target' for my custom moveable but I suspect this ought to be on all target entities. They seem to inherit from atdm:entity_base so I don't know if it should go on there or not.

If I search bloodgate for atdm:entity_base it doesn't actually tell me which file it is in (the original.) That might be useful as a local internal file search gives me 36 files but which is the original.

I've added descriptions for inv_droppable, inv_name, inv_icon to entityDef atdm:moveable_base. I need to add 'target' for my custom moveable but I suspect this ought to be on all target entities. They seem to inherit from atdm:entity_base so I don't know if it should go on there or not.

If I search bloodgate for atdm:entity_base it doesn't actually tell me which file it is in (the original.) That might be useful as a local internal file search gives me 36 files but which is the original.

Ah, yes, sorry, I added the "This spawnarg is defined at the enitity BLAH" but forgot to do the same for entities.

Done now:

http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/d...tdm:entity_base

Adding descriptins to entities can be done by adding an "editor_usage" spawnarg to their definition. I think not all of them need one, especially the ones with self-describing names, but we do have a few rather obscure but important entities that could use one.

We do have a list of undocumented entities (and spawnargs):

http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/doc/#undocumented

Edit: The JS GUI currently has a bug, it doesn't take into account an entity inheriting an "editor_usage" spawnarg. That means all food moveables are currently showing as "undocumented", even, tho they should/would inherit the "don't use blah blah" line. That is actually more useful for finding undocumented entities, but I guess I should someday change it so one can document the base class and have all entities inherit that documentation, too.

Edit 2: I don't know what DR does. I guess it shows the inheritted "editor_usage" spawnarg.

Oh! Duh. I was thinking you meant access bloodgate to see it. :blush:

Erm, I thought the "local" was enough ;)

Sorry, I always forget that, and didn't even think of the possibility in this case (a compliment). German, I assume? If I'm not remembering that from a distant memory, perhaps I'm just playing the percentages. ;)

You would be right, I am located near sparhawk (but never met him). :D

A great many of the entities themselves (not just their spawnargs) are missing "editor_usage" entries, just a basic description of the entity.

In my other post already talked about it, here is the link again in case you miss it in the long post ;)

http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/doc/#undocumented

Ah, the mouse over title was meant to be for the next colum. Fixed it now ;)