The Dark Mod Forums

DarkMod is an old thiefers 'Light at the end of the tunnel'! - THANK YOU FOR MAKIN IT!

Darrin

ok, . . . placed the note, . . . found the key under door, . . . made it out , then . . . end mission, . . . awwwwwww!

Awesome, truly awesome . . . Total Thief look and feel, . . . but better? Definately better NPC models and outfits, and wall and wood textures are better in this engine then using John P's texture upgrade on TDS, . . . . I know I read that the voices were just place holders, but they were fine by me! Sounded just like an old garret would expect! . . . . and so were all the other background sounds ( loved the cat! - MEOW!) and the music was creepy and thiefy . . . . great sound . . . don't change a thing, even the loot pick up was same sounding, but different in a cool way. I guess just the green stream area caught my eye as Thief 2ish . . . But I saw down into some water somewhere , in a well? I just wanted to swim in it! Water looked great!. . . hats off to a job extremely well done . . . . the graphics are super, and the handling of objects is fantastic . . I love holding a candle, bringing it closer and farther away . . . same with the bodies when dragging, I like to grab 'em by the head then make em' slither like the grinch around the xmas tree . . . . . porting over to the doom 3 engine was worth it to have the fun in the enviroment, oh and to have rope arrows back! YES!! - THANK YOU! Finally! - . . . and honestly, We don't need a lock picking system built in . . . . it gets tiring after a bit, just make us find the keys, thats more fun that picking anyways . . . .

Graphics - Thumbs up!

Enviroment - Thumbs up!

Stealthiness - Thumbs up!

Gameplay - Thumbs up!

Everything worked for me . . . Is this the new Thief 4? - felt like it to me! - I'll bet one could get enough Thief fans together to all pay $10 a month to pay for the full time development of DarkMod . . . seems as though there are still a lot of thiefers out there still looking for more . . . . speaking of looking for more . . . where's all the rest of the great looking areas I saw in the screenshots?

- like the Abysmal Gale looking ship and Grave Yard (Screens by Pinkdot) or the Screens by Oddity, Dram, BlackThief, SneaksieDave, and all those great looking places to explore, . . . one place looked a lot like the docks, another looked like south quarter . . . . how do I get to those areas? - Are they different maps to download? - Is there some other type of demo to download? I saw some posts where someone said they had downloaded both this and another dark something to try? - Anyways, thanks again! - Darrin

Glad you like it Darrin. :)

honestly, We don't need a lock picking system built in .

Don't worry, you're getting one anyway. :)

how do I get to those areas? - Are they different maps to download?

Those are maps being created by team-members or beta-mappers, but they're not ready for release yet. Several of them will be released when TDM itself is released, as fully playable maps or as training areas. You'll have to content yourself with the demo for now. :)

probably a long time from now, huh? . . . man, I'm going through TDS yet one more time . . this time I edited the .dds to have my face be on Garret, . . . see av . . . . anyways, based on how long it's taken you to get this far, how long you think until the full release? -

Also, I forgot to mention the menu screen is awesome, love the glowing the red mist and old scroll back ground . . . . very proffessional, better than some proffesional . . .but the load up screen with the chest, . . well, the shots ok, but the font is ehhh . . . . I like the font on the DarkMod logo, . . . also Did I read there was an editor available ?

We're 'hoping' to have a beta release by December of 2008....but that is subject to how well development goes ahead. There is still a massive amount of work left to be finished on the AI and other systems. Please, no pressure to finish though...we want this to be the absolute best it can potentially be. If we realize nearing December that we can't make that release and that another 6 months to a year is needed, we will need to take that time.

@Darrin:

Yes, we are working on our own customized version of the Doom 3 Editor called 'Dark Radiant'. It is available at darkradiant.sourceforge.net. It's not fully completed yet either, but it's highly usable.

Yeah, your right New Horizon, here's a better post:

I LOVE being made fun of! Please make more fun of my grammer - PLEASE! - I love it! - It's such a warm welcome for a newbie at a new forum!

Despite how good it might make one feel, I probably can't bring myself to search for newbie posts, then make fun of their grammer, so I'll leave that to the pros . . . .

Edited by Darrin

Yeah you have to take it lightly, but it IS a jerk thing to sarcastically bug about something small like that

Well, it is..and it isn't...just depends how touchy you get about those things. I didn't think "hey, you wanna foight buddy?" was called for though. Personally, I found Zylon's comment funny. It's not like Zylon called him an idiot or anything...he just made light of Darrin's rather excited posting style. It was nothing to get bent out of shape over.

Ah, I didn't see the "fight" part before it was toned down, makes more sense. In fact, it looks like the whole post was re-written...

It was completely rewritten. To paraphrase, his previous post was....'you wanna run your mouth off like a pussy...come on over to my place'. He then listed his home address..and I think some more insults. At any rate, the response went well beyond what was called for. It's one of those situations where I think it would have been quite easy for someone to brush it off and have a laugh at their own short comings. Instead, we get fists. I'm just sick of it, that's all.

@Darrin:

I do appreciate your enthusiasm for the mod, so don't take my response personally. I'm simply a bit frustrated when people immediately become defensive about something so ridiculous.

( loved the cat! - MEOW!)

Interestingly, I think that's the lowest-quality sound in the current build of TDM. It was something Fidcal came across and committed to give TD a little ambience, and the quality is really terrible, but it exudes personality, and that's something I haven't been able to coax out of my own cat and record (though it seems like all the females are in heat this time of the year, so I might get lucky -- getting a good recording, I mean!).