The Dark Mod Forums

Master 'Models Needed' list-- post requests here

Springheel

• 1 month later...

Just noticed on the semi-annual playthrough of Sons of Baltona, that the chair in the study is pretty horrid looking, is that a model, and if not, does any bright eyed and bushy tailed modeller want to contribute a better looking version of it?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

You'd need to provide a screenshot, I think. It's possible it's a chair made out of brushes.

Just noticed on the semi-annual playthrough of Sons of Baltona, that the chair in the study is pretty horrid looking, is that a model, and if not, does any bright eyed and bushy tailed modeller want to contribute a better looking version of it?

Yes show a screenshot and i will see what can do about it.

Edited by HMart

I have a couple requests if someone's got time:

individual pieces of hanging laundry

broken barrel (using existing barrel textures)

I have a couple requests if someone's got time:

individual pieces of hanging laundry

broken barrel (using existing barrel textures)

I would use a flat plain for the hanging laundry using a normal map or even parallax mapping to give it some fake depth, about the broken barrel i have one here and also different pieces for a exploding or breaking model.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/novnqfn7iugt9q4/shotpipo.jpg

models

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnhr5poolh0hqtr/broken%20barrel.7z

Yes show a screenshot and i will see what can do about it.

Here's the chair from behind, and 2 angled shots to catch the front and sides

https://www.mediafire.com/?4pvzrcad5074ohc

First iteration on the chair what do you guys think? It is not very high poly even tho it seems to be on the render, but i can optimize it further still, and also make a lowpoly for the shadow, the texture is also placeholder and the model is still not UVmapped, i'm thinking of making two versions, one clean and new for the rich houses and one dirt and broken for the poor houses.

Comments

https://www.dropbox.com/s/87vfx7kc57csbnd/it01.jpg

Edited by HMart
  • Like 1

Here's the chair from behind, and 2 angled shots to catch the front and sides

Are those screenshots squished, or does the chair actually look like that in the mission?

First iteration on the chair what do you guys think?

Very nice!

The chair actually looks mostly like that, you'd probably see it a bit differently on your setup, as the only way to unsquish it enough for me is to crank the fov up enough that I can see pretty much 180 degrees, and that's a little excessive. I did try and position the chair in the center to reduce as much squishing or stretching as possible, but that new chair is leaps and bounds better than the one I posted shots of.

Well, if the chair actually looks like that in the mission, then it has been weirdly stretched by a resize hack. It's normally a fine model, and is supposed to look like this:

post-9-0-91861500-1392929377_thumb.jpg

I play with a fov of 120, which I felt was a decent compromise between everything looking fat (stretched horizontally) and being able to see everything like I was playing AvP1, so it's no surprise that the model looks different to me than it does to you, and it does look better in your shot. That said, HMart's model also looks really nice, at the very least having both would be nice. Maybe I'll try upping my fov to 130 or so, isn't IRL human vision something like 150-160 degrees?

Edited by Xarg

That said, HMart's model also looks really nice, at the very least having both would be nice.

Sure.

Looks great! Thanks. :)

edit: For future reference, 2200 polys is a bit on the high side for a chair. :) You could knock down the number of polys in the shadowmesh by following the shape of the rungs less precisely. For example, you don't need to include as much detail in the wrungs for shadow-casting.

No need to modify it; I've already added it to SVN and it looks great. It was just a comment for future reference.

FYI for comparison, looking at info in DR, most our chairs run 200-400. There are a couple benches and a chair around 1800. (Note to self, use the church pews at 165 or 141 instead if ever doing a church.) The "throne simple" pictured above is 513.

Since "info" is hidden from mappers by default, most would be ignorant of what they are loading into their maps, and items like chairs, where you might use multiple, quickly add up! Whereas most use a limited number of AI.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

No need to modify it; I've already added it to SVN and it looks great. It was just a comment for future reference.

To late ;D

Was able to bring the polys down without losing the shape to much now the polys are 1200 for the visible chair and 798 for the shadow mesh, i could take more from the shadow mesh but the difference would be to obvious.

https://www.dropbox....hair_edited.lwo

XendroX yes i was very conservative on the shadow mesh afraid of losing the shape.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Just because of curiosity i did a test scene to see how much impact does the 2200 polys chair add in the performance of a scene.

The test scene

4 overlaping lights plus a ambient light at 1920x1080

71 entities with the chairs included

Scene with no chairs

31 FPS

171 Draws

100 498 Tris

Scene with 42 chairs each 1200 polys

Between 20 - 30 FPS

480 Draws

460 235 Tris

Scene with 42 chairs each 2200 polys

Between 20 - 30 FPS

489 Draws

672 899 Tris

Even tho the scene was simple just a box level full of static meshes, I tried to make it heavy with the overlapping lights to show a big difference on the FPS but i just didn't saw any, the only difference was on the draw calls and the number of Tris. Sorry if this is a stupid test i don't have any experience on benchmarking.

Edited by HMart
  • Like 1

I made same testes, but they doesn't true, while between your models don't runnig 3 to 5 guards and each model has a monster clip, that allow gaurad to avoid it. In this case. even without monster. clips I saw dps down often. I tried to copy/paste geometry without textures(leave them just white) and didn/t see any difference in dps without any moving objects )))) But if U want create models for games - you must see needed detailes and all other small stuff leave for textures. And if it too small cut away. It must be always balance between polycount and quality of model..

Else one if you will be making next item of interior try to make fillets on close-vsible parts like armrests in your chair, simple 1 edge fillet make it more natural with smooth edges and adding 20-50 polys....

Good luck, I hope my advices are not annoying yet ))