The Dark Mod Forums

Master 'Models Needed' list-- post requests here

Springheel

Nice.

A hard thing with benchmarking is peoples' systems respond differently depending where their individual bottlenecks are. Many nowadays aren't overly slowed by lots of tris, but lights or AIs might drag them down, while for others, the tris will.

(As said above with different words, there's a point where lowering the amount would become noticeable visibly, and that's where the threshold is. If adding more polys doesn't offer obvious quality improvement, there's no benefit to potentially affecting the performance for others, despite one system not showing a slowdown.)

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I made same testes, but they doesn't true, while between your models don't runnig 3 to 5 guards and each model has a monster clip, that allow gaurad to avoid it. In this case. even without monster. clips I saw dps down often. I tried to copy/paste geometry without textures(leave them just white) and didn/t see any difference in dps without any moving objects )))) But if U want create models for games - you must see needed detailes and all other small stuff leave for textures. And if it too small cut away. It must be always balance between polycount and quality of model..

Else one if you will be making next item of interior try to make fillets on close-vsible parts like armrests in your chair, simple 1 edge fillet make it more natural with smooth edges and adding 20-50 polys....

Good luck, I hope my advices are not annoying yet ))

Please don't take this bad but i'm having a hard time understanding your sentences, if you use google chrome it has a word corrector and is a tremendous help, that is what i use i'm also not a native english speaker. But i did understand some parts and yes i concur with you and no your advices are not annoying. :)

Nice.

A hard thing with benchmarking is peoples' systems respond differently depending where their individual bottlenecks are. Many nowadays aren't overly slowed by lots of tris, but lights or AIs might drag them down, while for others, the tris will.

(As said above with different words, there's a point where lowering the amount would become noticeable visibly, and that's where the threshold is. If adding more polys doesn't offer obvious quality improvement, there's no benefit to potentially affecting the performance for others, despite one system not showing a slowdown.)

About the benchmark, yes they are a tad relative but in this case it was a good way to see the difference on my particular system, if i saw a big difference on mine then no matter the system the model would be a huge problem, btw i passed the impression that i didn't knew about optimization or that sometimes adding more polys doesn't offer obvious quality improvements, but that is wrong i guarantee you, i just didn't optimized this chair that much initially because to me, it was a special chair, like that throne, to be used no more than 1 or 2 times per scene or level, other reason was that i didn't wanted to get rid of the smooth and round look of the ornaments because again to me it was a special chair, but i was wrong and i completely concur with all the feedback on the model, now it is more optimized and can be used much more times in a scene.

Filesize you mean? Filesize doesn't relate to size in RAM or speed (directly).

To quote Wikipedia's article on DDS, "...which can be decompressed in hardware by GPUs".

• Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

• 3 weeks later...

Any of those models (static ones mostly) still needed? The list is from '08 and I don't see any edits on it. I may have some free time between university and work to make some models for TDM, and I'd be glad to spend it like that.

Sometimes I want to scream

So long that life escapes

And then I'd shut my eyes

I'd be the angel of disgrace

It's not especially up to date, no. Best thing to do if you want to model someone is ask mappers for requests, or post your idea and we'll tell you if it already exists.

• 7 months later...

Regarding the cushion/pillow idea, when I was looking for those I noticed that one of the bed prefabs has pillows made of folded patches. The approach it used left gaps in the ends, but I tried using two patches meeting at the edges:

pillows+cushions.png

The near-upright cushion was a pain to position semi-believeably on the chair, though, and moveables would be better for soft objects the player can knock into, or for use with moveable chairs; so it's not a complete solution, but I thought it might be worth mentioning in case it helps anyone else looking for pillows or cushions.

• Like 2

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

• 3 months later...

Yeah, that's pretty high for a candlestick. Do you use normalmaps in your texturing? That's a good way to cut down on the required number of polys (also, you may want to bump up the smoothing value on your texture as the individual polys are easily seen).

Yes, well not to be rude, but finding textures that match is kind of an important part of making good models, and normalmaps are pretty essential to any kind of game assets.

If you are making small vase try to have less than 32 vertices. 12 for small object is enough. Still looks round. Because those vases look a little high poly 500-1000 is my guess... Probably you shouldnt go above 200. And about textures, you will rarely find someone who will apply them to your objects since making object is always the easiest part.

And about textures, you will rarely find someone who will apply them to your objects since making object is always the easiest part.

+1

If your offer was just to make simple meshes but not texture them, then no, I don't think that will be of much use. They're unusable, and no one is going to volunteer to finish someone else's work. Thanks anyway.

• 1 month later...

And about textures, you will rarely find someone who will apply them to your objects since making object is always the easiest part.

I find this very surprising, considering how efficient and easy texturing can be in Dark Radiant between the surface inspector, texture tool and brush-to-patch transfers. The plain objects by Andy above look like they'd be very straightforward to texture if they were in DR.

Is this just because DR is user-friendly? Or does UV-mapping have extra possibilities which require more complexity?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you would only need a decent UV map in place for simple texturing like apllying a generic material to it, say a clay surface, or stone surface. But actually drawing the texture in order to make them custom built for your mesh, with things like patterns, decorations, organic shapes (basicly anythign that makes the texture unique and non-tileable) will require quite a bit of work on the UV and manual painting proccess, which is often the hardest, longest part of "modeling", depending on the model. Texturing for games is pretty particular as well, because you have to understand how the diffuse image will look in game, how sensitive is its bump map system, stuff that you only know when you actually put in game and thats another process of testing it in game and make adjustments untill its good to go.

So yeah Andy, I like your meshes, but Im afraid mappers wont be able to use anything that is not a fully working, complete game model they can just incorporate in their project.