The Dark Mod Forums

Master 'Models Needed' list-- post requests here

Springheel

The only model I can find in TDM that's similar to "the woman with two pitchers" is "Aphrodite" in the statues folder. I used that in In the North, as it was a standard TDM model at the time.

Aphrodite was created by Arcturus:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/11093-sculptris-3d-modeling/?do=findComment&comment=218266

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

We do our best to vet new assets for inclusion but it's always possible that something found or offered comes from a commercial source.

For example, we grabbed assets from the Serengrove Doom 3 map and we were given permission by the author but who knows

if the author created everything from scratch? Still, I guess the license terms stem from the last party that claimed to be authorized to

distribute the item. In that case, if we included the asset and someone starting yelling about it's use, we would simply say that "https://www.archive3d.net"

gave us permission. So the next step would be to see if archive3d.net has ever gotten into trouble or if anyone using their assets have encountered

any problems.

That model on the left looks exactly like Arcturus', but has more poly and less details, now that's brilliant...

If you recreate something from scratch, just by eyeballing the original model or screenshot, that's fine. That's your work. And you can get a bit more creative, so it's not 100% obvious which model you used as the inspiration (you probably won't be able to make the same textures and materials anyway).

If you're doing it just for testing, then sure, you can even use those apps for grabbing whole scenes with textures and models, for experimental purposes, I guess. Otherwise, grabbing dubious stuff from shady parts of the Internet isn't helping.

Edited by Judith

That model on the left looks exactly like Arcturus', but has more poly and less details, now that's brilliant...

That's a screenshot from editor without normalmaps, I presume.

Since photo scanning has become popular some high quality scans of sculptures have been released for free. I already posted a link to this site. Info says "All scans can be downloaded and used without copyright restrictions." Recently some guy published his scans from Louvre. He says: "Free use for references, matte paintings or whatever". One would have to ask if it's ok to use it in Darkmod. Of course those are all high poly so low poly versions would have to be made.

• Like 1

It's only a model...

• 4 months later...

The shadow mesh should have less poly's so it should improve performance. The only way it would hurt performance

is if the main model is not set to noshadow.

Nice model, but the wooden parts of it look a bit low res. The leather looks good, though.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Nice model, but the wooden parts of it look a bit low res. The leather looks good, though.

Yes it is not a balanced texture.

By the way, about textures. Does the engine work well with high-resolution textures 1024/2048? I mean when there are many objects with such textures on the screen. In Thief for models I usually use 512.

Yes, for detailed pieces, you can go as high 2048 x 2048. Just keep in mind that the engine

loads every texture into GPU ram at level start so only go hog-wild on texture quality if it's

really required for the look.

We tend to encourage detailed normal maps while using less detailed diffuse images.

We also tend to discourage the use of diffuse images with baked-in lighting. Subtle shading

can look alright (and baked-in AO actually improves the look) but strong directional light

and highlights look wrong with dynamic lighting.

• Like 2

Yes it is not a balanced texture.

By the way, about textures. Does the engine work well with high-resolution textures 1024/2048? I mean when there are many objects with such textures on the screen. In Thief for models I usually use 512.

I'm not encouraging it on small things but I tend to use 1024 all the way up to 4096 with good performance. 4k is pretty beast for file size though, and I've only used on really massive model sets (bunchs of meshes to be used in a single scene) or one giant model. My recommendation for greater performance is to combine multiple models onto a single texture sheet (within reason). The downside is say you make twenty different models that all rely on the same resource, that one giant resource gets loaded even if you only use one of those models. So, combine textures wisely. ;)

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

It's mostly a matter of texture scale-down (pixel density) ratio you want to assume, and it pays off to be consistent in that regard. 2048 texture covers an area of 256 x 256 units pretty well, and you should be able to unwrap an object that fits inside a 128 unit cube. That's basically what I use for my textures and objects, a scale of 8:1. Higher res textures give diminishing returns IMO, mostly due to screen resolution and anisotropic filtering – you won't be able to appreciate that level of detail until you glue your nose to such surface. Maybe if the engine allows, and resolutions like 1440/2160p will be more common, 4K textures will be more useful in the future.

I am just curious as to some models that are still needed, any type of hard edged modeling I can do. Although I am a bit a flake so I would be able to do some while my head is not completely into something that I catch out of the corner of my eye, and I love that chair, it's the type of thing I can do least, with the engravings.

These are my moms house and I was trying different paints and furniture arrangements, very long time ago.

I have one more of sword I dreamed from BOC's Black Blade (its just not black) everything is not as I would want it bit then other people says it looks good enough. i am the type of guy that sees something slightly wrong and redo the entire project

post-3455-0-93421300-1500022220_thumb.jpg

post-3455-0-49362200-1500022230_thumb.jpg

post-3455-0-16782700-1500023722_thumb.jpg

Some of the models needed seem a little easy (leg of lamb) and I consider myself a little or lot below average.

Edited by bobrpggamer

OK, I admit these images of mine are Arch Viz based on lighting. But I can do a few models here and there with skins applied or not. I a have a lot of different types of modeling I can do with subdivision box modeling or even a simple loft or lathe or whatever.

Unwrapping UV's are my week point, so a simple multi sub object UV would be fine, with a bump or displacement map to add detail. no big deal, and I suppose turning procedural materials and textures would have to be normal maps for dds support in game.

Now that I think about it, turning a procedural noise map, to a bitmap or dds, would have to be done, possible with a plugin or just make any kind of map that is procedural on a plane 90 degree in an orthographic view, then render and save the file as .TGA ..DDS, whatever the engine uses - I remember doing this before for some reason. Its just easier to adjust a noise map for use of displacement, bump or normal map.

Just the right power of 2 texture map and poly limit would be all I would need.

Edited by bobrpggamer

That sword is some nice work. How are you with medieval type things, furniture, arches, doors, windows.. all things we need.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

furniture, arches, doors, windows

Depends on what want, these are things I can do, Let me know and I will make it, poly count also, If subdivision is needed.

If you look at my small video of a very unfinished mission, the arches I made - I made this for my mission back in 2009:

post-3455-0-72920600-1500400348_thumb.png

Meant to mirror in the editor, poly count 2642. Please look at my entrance to my mission and skip ahead to the courtyard where I used these arches, meant for the player to be able to jump out.

Oh and I needed to a lot of work on my sword, but I first wanted to setup the location and I never got around to it:

post-3455-0-61986900-1500402841_thumb.jpg

post-3455-0-39939500-1500402850_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobrpggamer

Bob - indeed your sword looks very cool, I can see it being used in your mission as some sort of relic that needs to be stolen, a cerimonial sword or something. I think right now, since you have already shown you can model complex things, it would be important for you to focus more on what makes models game-ready. The process of baking a normal map from a high poly to a low poly version, to be used in game. The manual uvunwrapping and texture painting. The low poly modeling and how to make it look good with the right amount of tris. Etc. You can then come back for help on how to put the models inside the engine. The is a lot of good information on the TDM Wiki (see on the top of the page). Keep up the good work, man!

Edited by RPGista

Sorry for any misunderstanding, but the sword was an art project that needed to be redone in a castle tower and the hilt needs to be redone as well. I got my inspiration from Black Blade from Blue Oyster Cult, but the sword was to be called Demon Slayer as the gems would glow red when in the company of demons (even though I am technically a demon myself). This was never to be put in a game engine I just added it here to show I can model and this particular model was done in 2006.

Never did baking, but I have some instructional videos I could learn with, and I realize the doom 3 engine is not based on poly's but on triangles as is almost all renderers and 3D engines. I am so used to keeping quads for subdivision that I forget it all comes down to triangles.

So again, can you please give me a project, so I can get started, I know the start of the thread had the models needed but this is page 6 and I would like a request.

OK how about an old tavern sign complete with the wood holding it up. I know nothing with a burrick in the name.

I will start my video to brain training for game modeling.

Edited by bobrpggamer

I have to say i would like to contribute like I said with models, but learning the baking procedure, and fooling around with .DDS and normal maps, is probably be more useful if I were designing a mission and uploading prefabs that I am making for a mission (if that's what they are still called) in an ongoing project with Dark Mod,

I have the aluminum arcade cab design waiting and I am still trying to design an almost perfect flight sim setup, the latest being a panel with up to 80 large labeled and back lit keys from X-keys. just a metal frame with a nice lian Li type brushed aluminum plate over the structure. Like I said I hop around from project to project, so anyway I like your mod and hope the best for your content, and besides I would probably be the guy just below mediocre, as I am more into designing modern real life content.

Edited by bobrpggamer

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some early photos of my progress on some of the props on the list:

Sickle

6doiuyX.png

Handsaw

Making the theeth part of the model ups the poly count too much, so I think it would be better to replace it with an alpha texture.

QUq2YnX.png

Privacy screen

n5M9gVt.png

HWYpbE2.png

Feedback is appreciated.

Edited by Momoderator

I quite like the sickle. If you want to spend some time and effort on texturing it, it could be used in the future as a wearabe weapon/item for druid or pagan characters. I dont mean it needs to be exotic or finely crafted, just a bit of time put on making a good metal texture, good specular, same for the handle. Most models need to be generic enough to be able to be used in maps with different storylines.

AS for the saw and the screen, Im afraid the geometries look a bit simplistic right now. I think what always works the best in this sort of thing is to simply reproduce historical references, it ensures the model is going to fit right in and is going to look interesting and authentic.

Take a look at these examples:

1200px-Two-Man_Felling_Saw_and_Springboa

Thomas%20Ellis%20Colliers%20W%20&%20C%20

Six_Fold_French_Dressing_Scree_as402a014

I quite like the sickle. If you want to spend some time and effort on texturing it, it could be used in the future as a wearabe weapon/item for druid or pagan characters. I dont mean it needs to be exotic or finely crafted, just a bit of time put on making a good metal texture, good specular, same for the handle. Most models need to be generic enough to be able to be used in maps with different storylines.

AS for the saw and the screen, Im afraid the geometries look a bit simplistic right now. I think what always works the best in this sort of thing is to simply reproduce historical references, it ensures the model is going to fit right in and is going to look interesting and authentic.

Take a look at these examples:

1200px-Two-Man_Felling_Saw_and_Springboa

Thomas%20Ellis%20Colliers%20W%20&%20C%20

Six_Fold_French_Dressing_Scree_as402a014

Well, I tried to reproduce the reference images from the list, but you are right, these do look better. I'll re-do the hand saw and the screen. Thank you for your feedback!

• Like 1

Pretty sure we have a big handsaw like that already, fyi. If you're using the list at the beginning of this thread, it's long out of date.