The Dark Mod Forums

Master 'Models Needed' list-- post requests here

Springheel

Pretty cool texturing. You could already take it in game and see how its looking. In case you want a reference, a blender unit translates as a doom unit when exporting, and a doom unit is roughly an inch (2,5cm). So scale your model accordingly. Small models can get away with very small texture sizes. The more textures used in a map, the more it takes to load. It also bloats the game size. So try to make it as small as possible. Chances are, unless its a HUD model, you wont notice any difference for small objects like that.

You will want to use tileable stock textures as much as possible as well. For the reasons stated above. But also, because it allows for different skins, even if the modeler doesnt provide them (because, chances are high that the uvmapping will work well with other tdm tileable textures, so any mapper can set them up if they want to, without having to know how to use a modelling program).

Even though you can only have one material per mesh, you can have several meshes in a single model, each with their own material. So in this case, you have the wooden handle and the metal blade, they should be two meshes, with different materials. The process is the same, you need to go inside the ASE text and overwritte the path for each of the meshes' bitmap (material).

PS: So as to not derail this thread, lets take this discussion to a dedicated thread of your own, just create a post for your work in the Art Assets forum and we'll take it from there.

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 2

Pretty cool texturing. You could already take it in game and see how its looking. In case you want a reference, a blender unit translates as a doom unit when exporting, and a doom unit is roughly an inch (2,5cm). So scale your model accordingly. Small models can get away with very small texture sizes. The more textures used in a map, the more it takes to load. It also bloats the game size. So try to make it as small as possible. Chances are, unless its a HUD model, you wont notice any difference for small objects like that.

You will want to use tileable stock textures as much as possible as well. For the reasons stated above. But also, because it allows for different skins, even if the modeler doesnt provide them (because, chances are high that the uvmapping will work well with other tdm tileable textures, so any mapper can set them up if they want to, without having to know how to use a modelling program).

Even though you can only have one material per mesh, you can have several meshes in a single model, each with their own material. So in this case, you have the wooden handle and the metal blade, they should be two meshes, with different materials. The process is the same, you need to go inside the ASE text and overwritte the path for each of the meshes' bitmap (material).

PS: So as to not derail this thread, lets take this discussion to a dedicated thread of your own, just create a post for your work in the Art Assets forum and we'll take it from there.

Done!

• 1 month later...

To any modelers tracking this thread ...

I'd like to have a model for a security camera.

Requirements:

1 - Steampunk (try to stay away from something that looks like a box camera from the early days of photography)

2 - Three models:

a - the camera itself, with its origin at the point of rotation

b - a wall mounting bracket with arms that attach to the top and bottom of the camera

c - a ceiling mounting bracket with a shaft that descends down and through the camera, popping out at the bottom. The camera will use either the wall or the ceiling bracket depending on how it's used.

3 - The camera should (obviously) have a lens. This can be an extended lens or simply a small lens tight against the camera body.

4 - The camera should have a light. We should be able (through re-skinning) to turn the light lens on and off. This light will cast a spotlight forward from the camera and can be turned on/off by the player.

5 - (Optional) A red/green indicator light. Toggled by re-skinning.

Thanks!

I'm updating the security camera for TDM as part of 2.06, and 2.06 freeze is tomorrow.

I've created a placeholder model that's good enough for 2.06.

I'll be writing a wiki page on how to use the new camera, and the model will appear in the test map and screenshots.

If you have time during 2.06 beta to create a more suitable model, that would be great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't help but love it :wub::wub::wub: ...

but the statues and busts in all the existing maps have a decidedly Renaissance \ Neo-Classical \ Greco-Roman look.

Maybe a skin that looks a little less "pixar superhero".

Not that I'd mind if this were the final design at all.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Maybe a skin that looks a little less "pixar superhero".

That was the point I was trying to make, not that it needs to or should look like the T2 model.

And on the subject of the T2 model, it was only used by the Hammerites. Correct if I am wrong but aren't the builders in TDM more like the builders in T1/2 than the Mechanists? So a face shaped camera dosent quite gel with the TDM universe.

Looks good.

Spotlight?

Wall model?

The spotlight is the other (large) eye piece. Also I actually gave that wall model some thought and realized it would have to have a mount on to something above (small platform) in order for that head version to work. I'm willing to make a different (non-head based) version that should remedy the problem. I can still make both viable, but if anybody wants the metal-head version included speak up now. Cause I really don't wanna include it if nobody wants to use it.

Alright, I just got the basic forms in but I wanna know what people think of a circular camera?

cF4mL8y.png

qsbClKt.png

You can see how we've got the wall version pretty easy in this design as well. If it's alright with everybody I'd like to make both camera versions in a set. One from the weird science take and the other from the strictly practical role.

• Like 3

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

I like the second version a bit more. I agree with Springheel that we should avoid any similarities to the cameras used in T2.

Personally I would prefer the camera to look a bit more blocky and more "open", meaning that it would be nice if you could partially see the inside with its gears.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• I like the second version a bit more. I agree with Springheel that we should avoid any similarities to the cameras used in T2.
  • Personally I would prefer the camera to look a bit more blocky and more "open", meaning that it would be nice if you could partially see the inside with its gears.
  • +1, I love the look of the new camera, very lore friendly imho.
  • Now thats not a bad idea.

@Epi your very fast and clean when making your models, very impressive.

The current camera code is written so that the camera points horizontally. I will need to change that if folks want the camera to point down like this model. Cant do this for probably a week; in Hospital atm.

The camera emits movement and alarm sounds so a speaker on the side would be nice

Get well soon!

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter