The Dark Mod Forums

Master 'Models Needed' list-- post requests here

Springheel

Quality of the models is amazing, fantastic work as always Epi. I think people are finding it harder to see them blending in game because they are in their gray form, but when fully textured Im sure they would fit right in, specially considering how good a texturer Epi is. Glad you beat me to it. I particularly like the second one, even though the first is awesome and a lot more complex. Its just that Im a minimalist. Like simple designs more.

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 1

I thought more about the use of brush on the texture. There's either paint or bare polished metal. I had similar problem with my power generator, and in the end I used a bit more subtle approach. Then again, I spent way too much time on textures/materials for such a background prop as this one:

https://skfb.ly/69ESU

Clipboard03.jpg

• Like 3

I'd say it's just a difference in artistic design honestly. I'd seen plenty of references with that kind of wear and most of TDM features a lot of grunge, so it felt appropriate to go a little further with the wear. If anything now I'd maybe use a secondary mask to refine the wear buildup (more likely points of contact ect). Other than that I don't think there's anything wrong with the definition.

• Like 1

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

• 2 months later...

Soul Tear, I think the definition is solid. If anything just make sure those material references are set to noshadows and just make a rough shadowmesh to match the form of the bag itself. As then you can go hogwild on the polys to get as much normal definition as needed without destroying the shadow budget.

On a totally random note I forgot I hadn't finished that security camera. Welp looks like I'm leaving myself a note to remember that on my days off.

Looks nice. One or more low poly versions would be good to be setup as LOD.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It's a bit big, isn't it? And the suspension feels a bit overproportional to me.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Oh that was a little closer to show more of the material details. The actual size is roughly about that of an actual head model.

92b86e59ee721ccc7747b8b751061ce7.png

Some things are cast in larger scale (for the supports and pivots) because of how much heavier these components would be over a modern day camera. With an outer casing that's forged, not to mention bulky wireless transmitters I'd imagine just the head alone would be very dense and heavy by itself. I'm not sure what I want to do on the other camera yet, as some things really don't mesh well in the round design approach. Though very archaic this camera rolled off from the early design and ideas pretty easily.

• Like 1

There's one catch to the head swivel cam, and that is that its gears gotta rely on some feedback from the camera panning to rotate back and forth.

Oh boy: gear manipulation. Send me what you have and I'll look at it.

@Grayman if you need the camera to be bigger let me know, otherwise I can send this stuff off to you whenever you like. Also I can make a simple mask for the right eyepiece to get the spotlight skin functional. I've been considering what to do for a damaged model. Are you wanting a skin for that or just a mesh toggle for the head? A mesh toggle would be much less for the file size as I could just vertex paint some basic scorching in, which I'm sure would do the job.

If I can get this working, I'll include it in 2.06 and the Remote Camera wiki. If I can't, it'll have to wait for 2.07, when I can find more time to get it working.

As for damage, a skin change would be fine.

Looks good to me!

+1

Just try to limit the amount of polys used on the potatoes or what ever produce is in the sack opening.

Thanks! Basically there are halfs of potatoes (20 polys).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/172LNjtajLcieEa8ceATrlUFtN_N5siXR/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Soul Tear

Soul Tear, I think the definition is solid. If anything just make sure those material references are set to noshadows and just make a rough shadowmesh to match the form of the bag itself. As then you can go hogwild on the polys to get as much normal definition as needed without destroying the shadow budget.

On a totally random note I forgot I hadn't finished that security camera. Welp looks like I'm leaving myself a note to remember that on my days off.

Damn, I'm not sure I understand this, but the shadow mesh is included.
Do you make these models for your fm?
Edited by Soul Tear

Damn, I'm not sure I understand this, but the shadow mesh is included.

Mainly emphasizing that you make sure the main detail body of your mesh is set to noshadows in the material. I don't actually make shadow meshes near as often as I used to but I have forgotten to make the main material noshadows on several instances. Because yeah if you leave both rendering shadows, it defeats the purpose of the shadow mesh since the lighting pass will render both.

Do you make these models for your fm?

Well not exclusively but I may end up using the camera if it fits the context of my current mission. I do model near all of my level assets from scratch (and generate textures from Substance Painter) but I take requests on the occasion.

Mainly emphasizing that you make sure the main detail body of your mesh is set to noshadows in the material. I don't actually make shadow meshes near as often as I used to but I have forgotten to make the main material noshadows on several instances. Because yeah if you leave both rendering shadows, it defeats the purpose of the shadow mesh since the lighting pass will render both.

The same goes for collision mesh. You have to disable collision in your main material, otherwise the model will have 2 overlapping collisions.

• 9 months later...

It's more like a bug so request is for tweaking existing model - wood_debris01.lwo have one of its chunks apparently duplicated in the same position. While it is not z-fighting, in a fog light it become oversaturated and stands out from the distance.

S2wtMNl.gif