The Dark Mod Forums

Star Trek Geekery

Mr Retarded

Save precious time -- watch "Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning" instead. (for free on starwreck.com)

-Fantastic movie, showing what you can do with a dedicated (obsessed?) mind.

For those who do not know, in the Pirkinning was done by a finnish group of only a few people, mainly in their own houses they converted into a movie studio with very small budget.

You cannot call yourself a true Star Trek or B5 geek if you haven't seen this movie.

It is quite fun and well done, if you take into account the few resources used on it.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Builder help us all from geeks that photoshop themselves into Kirk.

(I won't name names, but check out the Darkmod Facebook page ...)

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Builder help us all from geeks that photoshop themselves into Kirk.

(I won't name names, but check out the Darkmod Facebook page ...)

Screenshots or it didn't happen (facebook requires a login)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

ok. I guess our mystery trekkie couldn't have expected this would go unnoticed for long, haha:

2kmpdt.jpg

just awesome.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

ok. I guess our mystery trekkie couldn't have expected this would go unnoticed for long, haha:

2kmpdt.jpg

just awesome.

Erm, unless I am mistaken, this is a normal photo of a young James T. Kirk... or do I miss something? *confused*

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I had to laugh at the ridiculousness of one episode of TNG I saw, where in order to protect the Enterprise from a huge asteroid, Wesley figured out that they could reverse the polarity of the tractor beam, making it a repulsor. Apparently the senior staff was astounded by such simple logic.

Edited by Vadrosaul
Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

The more I stare at this version, though, the less certain I am.

Haha, now I'm starting to doubt myself ... it's a striking resemblance, and he's got the whole Kirk-suave look down. But the author claims it is shopped on his page, and if you look at the eyes you can sort of see it.

But then again...

Edited by demagogue

I had to laugh at the ridiculousness of one episode of TNG I saw, where in order to protect the Enterprise from a huge asteroid, Wesley figured out that they could reverse the polarity of the tractor beam, making it a repulsor. Apparently the senior staff was astounded by such simple logic.

That's what happens in every episode. The writers create a problem, and then they escape from it at the last minute by thinking up some totally ridiculous solution.

It's no better or more intelligent writing that the A-team, where they would always escape at the end by making a tank from some old carpet tiles and coat hangers they find in a shed.

Star Trek just uses a lot of big scientific words, but completely ignores their meaning or any logic.

It's ultra-simplified, easy entertainment, and there are a million and one fundamental problems with the star trek universe, and it is perhaps the silliest show ever made that wasn't meant to be a comedy.

People look back at the original shows now and laugh at their naivety, but I do the same for all star trek shows, the newer ones are just as stupid, they just look better.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

That's what happens in every episode. The writers create a problem, and then they escape from it at the last minute by thinking up some totally ridiculous solution.

I always hate this, because thir "trick" is used in almost any series. It's a cheap way for the writers, because they don't have to think hard for realistic problems. Instead they make the people appear to be totally stupid, and don't see the most obvious, or let them handle problems the way, any sensible poeple would do it, only to allow them to do the most obvious thing at the end. I guess this should make the poeple look smart or something, but it always pisses me off.

Gerhard

The same thing also happens in fantasy novels. There will be some evil magic which seems unstoppable, but at the last minute, someone will find a new bit of magic or ancient artefact lying around, which will counter the evil magic, or discover that the dark lord has some weak spot which no one noticed before.

That's the nature of entertainment.

Of course, the reason for this is very simple - the sort of people who are capable of writing really intelligent satisfying plots, do not waste their lives doing so. It's generally people who are as thick as pig shit who end up writing stories..

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I don't think that the intelligent people don't do so. It's just that the number of those people is naturally much less, then the overall number of people who think they can write intelligent plots. And of course it's less time consuming to think up a cheap story ending, then trying to think of something really clever.

Gerhard

I don't think that the intelligent people don't do so. It's just that the number of those people is naturally much less, then the overall number of people who think they can write intelligent plots. And of course it's less time consuming to think up a cheap story ending, then trying to think of something really clever.

-There are so many stories in the world of entertainment anyway, causing even the most clever plots to use plot elements that are considered common.

I guess the writers need to use some psychoactive drugs to augment their imagination to invent something entirely new at this point. It would be interesting to know what kind of training professional plot writers have.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I'm not talking about new plots, just about clever plots, where not everybody has to act stupid, just because the main protagonist is average and they need to make him shine as if he were actually brilliant.

If the main character comes up with a totally normal solution to a given problem, it just isn't brilliant just because everybody in this universe is made to be braindead.

Gerhard

gendo,kozo_looks-shopped.jpg

It definitely looks shopped in the tiny version that's available to people who aren't friends (not much bigger than my avatar). The more I stare at this version, though, the less certain I am.

Here is the original:

http://www.hotconflict.com/.shared/image.h...tains_chair.jpg

Btw, he looks now like this:

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http...l%3Dde%26sa%3DN

(Don't click this link if you are easily scared!)