The Dark Mod Forums

Possible Major Bug

nobody

ok, I was fooling around in Theif's Den a few days ago and something really strange happened that I think the team should know about. I was on the roof just above the door niche the street guard likes to stand in and I was watching him walk around. I was hiding behind a corner. I leaned to the right then while holding the right hand lean I leaned forward. suddenly I was floating above the fenced in yard accross the street looking at Creep and his henchman walk around below me. I started testing it out in diferent places and I found that pretty much any time you are behind a corner that can fill most of your screen if you lean to one side (both right and left do it) then lean forward while you are leaning to the side you will jump a large distance to one side or another. while I was hovering over the yard I could shoot arrows and kill or KO AI (gas arrow) everything worked as if I was actually in the new place. I was litterally able to lean accross the street and see and interact with what was over there. this can be done while croutching or standing and there are even a few corners on the street level that will do it. give it a try: hide behind a corner then lean to the side and lean forward while you're leaning to the side. it has to be done in that order too. leaning forward then leaning to a side doesn't work. hope this isn't too hard to fix because it could really mess up some missions. thanks for you time, and just remember the only reason I found this was because I've been having so much fun playing around in the little bit of game we have. thanks for all your hard work guys.

I noticed a similar bug that is related to climbing.

When climbing up a ledge that does ( i think ) not offer enough space for the Thief's Bounding Box to stand on after the climb, it causes the Player to slowly float upwards until there is something he has enough space to stand on. Or something :) .

Yeah, it's a player clipping issue the was supposed to keep the player from getting stuck forever or from falling through the whole world, but has problems. It's known and will get fixed later on :)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I noticed a similar bug that is related to climbing.

When climbing up a ledge that does ( i think ) not offer enough space for the Thief's Bounding Box to stand on after the climb, it causes the Player to slowly float upwards until there is something he has enough space to stand on. Or something :) .

Hi rebb!

Hey everyone, this is rebb from doom3world. He's responsible for fixing the ambient lights. :) I haven't uploaded the latest revision to the team yet rebb, but I think they're going to like it.

You "can't do it" in the middle of the street because there isn't enough room, not because you're at a corner. It looks like what happened is that the forward+left/right lean cases were caught, but not the left/right+forward lean. This ought to be a straightforward fix.

I have no idea what the underlying technical issue is here, but the way you're talking about it, it sounds like you're treating the symptoms instead of the disease. E.g.-- coding around the problem instead of fixing it.

...but in this case it's a simple one time "I thought we fixed that" situation, hardly endless. It's just that some real fixes are going to be very hard or maybe impossible without the whole game/render code, so hack fixes are all that can be done. Or, the real fix is doable but very time-consuming and manpower-draining, while the hack fix is just fine (except in this case part was missed, that's all)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I had something similar happen to me. I was on the roof by the metal bars on the wall, and I dropped down onto the wall right next to the bars. And than I moved forward I started floating up and than I was taking damage because it thought I was on the spikey fence.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

You clipped into the wall. Doom 3 resolves clipping issues by slowly moving the player up until they're no longer clipping (which, if the player continues to move, can cause a small problem to get much, much worse). While immersion-breaking, it's much better than Thief's solution of simply killing the player, also known as Sudden Heart-Attack Syndrome (SHAS).

You clipped into the wall. Doom 3 resolves clipping issues by slowly moving the player up until they're no longer clipping (which, if the player continues to move, can cause a small problem to get much, much worse). While immersion-breaking, it's much better than Thief's solution of simply killing the player, also known as Sudden Heart-Attack Syndrome (SHAS).

Well holy crap, that's something I never knew! Thanks :)

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I agree, it's not a great solution. The first time that happened, I practically had a heart attack myself. It was in the middle of the locked off cathedral in Thief 1. For once there was a break in the traffic of undead, and and I thought I had a moment of silence. *P-ARGH!* I thought I got sneak attacked by a zombie I didn't see. And the player sound effect volumes are messed up on newer soundcards to be 10x louder than they should be.