The Dark Mod Forums

Can Prey's local gravity work with Doom3?

AluminumHaste

Does the engine need to be modified for this or is this functionality built in and just needs to be exposed?

I've made a map that has a giant cube with an intricate maze on all 6 sides (made from a real life 3d maze) and I would love to be able to spin it on 3 axis and use local gravity on the cube to make the player stick to the surface so the world would turn upside down and stuff.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Does the engine need to be modified for this or is this functionality built in and just needs to be exposed?

I've made a map that has a giant cube with an intricate maze on all 6 sides (made from a real life 3d maze) and I would love to be able to spin it on 3 axis and use local gravity on the cube to make the player stick to the surface so the world would turn upside down and stuff.

I think this would already work with force fields (func_forcefield entities), but there might be even native support in the way that you just change the direction of the gravity force.

See:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Func_Forcefields

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I think this would already work with force fields (func_forcefield entities), but there might be even native support in the way that you just change the direction of the gravity force.

See:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/Func_Forcefields

I suck at math lol, didn't understand the math at all. It's similar but I'm not sure that it would work that way I want. It can pull or push you in any direction of course, but your relative orientation (what you see as up and down) does not change, your feet are still pointing along the z axis, so this is not the same. I want to be able to re-orient the player so that his feet are pointing up and he's upside down. I'm not sure if that tutorial allows you to do that. I will need someone more technically inclined to figure that one out for me.

I suck at math lol, didn't understand the math at all. It's similar but I'm not sure that it would work that way I want. It can pull or push you in any direction of course, but your relative orientation (what you see as up and down) does not change, your feet are still pointing along the z axis, so this is not the same. I want to be able to re-orient the player so that his feet are pointing up and he's upside down. I'm not sure if that tutorial allows you to do that. I will need someone more technically inclined to figure that one out for me.

Ah, yes, sorry ignore my stupid comment about func_forcefield. As for changing the direction of gravity, a quick google didn't turn up anything so far. If id was clever and didn't hardcode the gravity vector, it can be done. But offhand I don't know how exactly.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Ah, yes, sorry ignore my stupid comment about func_forcefield. As for changing the direction of gravity, a quick google didn't turn up anything so far. If id was clever and didn't hardcode the gravity vector, it can be done. But offhand I don't know how exactly.

Filtering out all the stupid "Doom3 stole HL2s gravity gun" posts with -"gravity gun" brought me this:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6067

Maybe this helps?

Filtering out all the stupid "Doom3 stole HL2s gravity gun" posts with -"gravity gun" brought me this:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6067

Maybe this helps?

I checked and it looks like you can't set the players gravity, which was the whole point, but you can set the monsters (AI) so yeah, we can have AI walking on the walls lol.

Given that the entire gameplay code is in the SDK, a mod would be able to change the player's gravity and view orientation. The real question is how easy/hard it would be and whether it would be worth the time to implement it in TDM (I think we have more important concerns right now). Also, given that AAS is precompiled with assumptions about gravity, I think it'd be difficult for monsters to navigate while taking new gravity into account.

• 1 month later...
Given that the entire gameplay code is in the SDK, a mod would be able to change the player's gravity and view orientation. The real question is how easy/hard it would be and whether it would be worth the time to implement it in TDM (I think we have more important concerns right now). Also, given that AAS is precompiled with assumptions about gravity, I think it'd be difficult for monsters to navigate while taking new gravity into account.

I just realized something, in doom 3 monsters came from the ceiling and walls and such and unless those were hardcoded sequences, it shouldn't be a problem for the monsters. Just a thought.

Those monsters were scripted in Doom3. In Prey the gravity was changed. Should work in D3 as well though, only the AI would have problems with the original code, and would need some adaption maybe.

Ah, I see. Still you guys have enough on your plate to get a beta release for this December.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah there was an opportunity for "Aliens" type sequences with those spider monsters crawling in along the hallways from all directions, but the game didn't support that, so apart from the occasional scripted entry sequence, they just walked along the ground like every other monster.

Yeah there was an opportunity for "Aliens" type sequences with those spider monsters crawling in along the hallways from all directions, but the game didn't support that, so apart from the occasional scripted entry sequence, they just walked along the ground like every other monster.

There is a guy who was able to get monsters to walk on the walls without scripting, any monster. I can't find the link, but I'll keep trying.

EDIT: Found it

Edited by AluminumHaste