The Dark Mod Forums

Making a scroll activate something when it is picked up

Jesps

Hi.

I've been trying to make a scroll, that activates something when the player pickes it up. The target property seems to do nothing however.

Also, is it possible to make the player start reading the scroll as soon as he/she pickes it up?

Thanks in advance.

Jesps

I've been trying to make a scroll, that activates something when the player pickes it up. The target property seems to do nothing however.

The current code does not activate the targets when a scroll is added to the inventory. However, you could set up a response to the frob stim on the scroll which fires an "effect_target". This should be a workaround.

Also, is it possible to make the player start reading the scroll as soon as he/she pickes it up?

No, this is not possible right now. It can be coded in rather easily, but that won't help you much, I'm afraid.

(I think) It could be hacked into the script code if you really need it for your specific map, but beware that any changes to Dark Mod scripts will result in a conflict when TDM will be released.

I haven't tried any of this, but maybe you could have a "fake" scroll, which when frobbed activates like a readable that you don't pick up (thus you read it right there), and it also destroys itself, and also adds to your inventory a separate item (the real scroll)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Should these 2 features be added to a todo list?

Yeah file issues on the tracker please. We can always cross them off as "fix later" :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

"Issues" should not be added to the bugtracker unless they are bugs, or features that we've agreed we want to implement. I'm not sure these qualify as either.

Well I could be wrong, but I imagined triggering events on the acquisition of any object would be a commonly used feature. Like Indiana Jones taking the statue that causes the room to cave in.

If this hasn't been changed, then there should be a script fired when something is added or removed from the inventory. Don't know the name though, at the moment.

Gerhard

If this hasn't been changed, then there should be a script fired when something is added or removed from the inventory. Don't know the name though, at the moment.

I just skimmed the code, and it seems to have been removed (if it was there at the first place - I don't recall removing such a script function call when I worked on the Inventory code).

Anyway, such an event sounds useful, so we should consider adding that.

After thinking about it, it might be that I confused it, with the scriptevents triggered when the inventory selection changes. So when you scroll in the inventory you get some events, but this doesn't really help in this case. :)

I agree that this is definitely something that should be available.

Gerhard

"Issues" should not be added to the bugtracker unless they are bugs, or features that we've agreed we want to implement. I'm not sure these qualify as either.

Of course "issues" should go only to the bug tracker if they are "bugs" or "feature requests". Doh! (This means my "issue" of not having enough coffee does not go to the bug tracker :).

Is my English really that bad that people misunderstand such basic intentions?

As for the issues, er bugs, er missing features at hand, they should be added, and if my internet wasn't flaky and my coffee not getting cold, I'd do it right now :P

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

greebo: Giving the scroll a trigger response worked rather well. Thanks :)

Komag: I tried something similar to that, but never got it to work. Also would that not 'close' the scroll if the player turns away from it? (like a normal stationary scroll)