The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod Ambient Fan Music

Ombrenuit

I recorded this today.

What I was envisioning was a mission in light snow fall, a night where the streets are emptied in the cold, the people themselves warming in front of a hearth indoors. A lone thief is seen as a silouette scurring across the slick rooftops, a trail of breath fading behind him along the skyline. They say that crime diminishes in the winter. Its too cold for burglary. Perhaps that's exactly what the guards will be expecting on a night like tonight...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EXHCRT0O

Thanks for listening!

Wow, I really like that! It's got a great low emotional reflective deep feel to it. Here's the world, I'm part of that life, I choose my path and look down on the great city, full of humanity, hate, love, greed, compassion, filth, beauty.

Is this something available for use, or did you just want to share it but use it yourself exclusively (which I can respect) and not have it really "out there"?

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Thanks for the replies. The song is available for use definitely as long as I'm credited. I'd be interested in working with fan mission designers to create ambience for their missions.

Heeeey, that's really nice! Do you have a higher quality version that I could slap into the repository? This one is 128K.

Of course, your name would be added to credits :)

I don't know much about the quality of compression, but I recorded this through Audacity actually, though mixed all on my Roland Juno-G. That program only produces one kind of mp3 with a plug-in, but I can save in .ogg or a .wav if either of those would be better. I've tried to find a way to extract the actual file out of my keyboard but it seems to be in a format that only Roland can understand (smf, sva, and svq).

Most MP3 decoders won't encode to 384kbps CBR, actually, and many players won't decode greater than 320kbps. Well, typically anyway ;)

There's a great deal of additional headroom you left in Ombrenuit (4.2dB in the right channel). I can master this to boost the overall level while preserving dynamics and enhancing the obscure portions of the mix, but a lossless file would be ideal for me to work with to save it from multiple encoding passes. If you could record this again to a WAV file and upload it, that would be ideal for us, and would ensure the highest final quality.

Good work though. That Juno seems to do justice to the older prized Roland models like the 106 -- quite a feat.

Just wanted to say it's great having you on board, phide. Having a dead sound department really sucked. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Just wanted to say it's great having you on board, phide. Having a dead sound department really sucked. :)

Well thanks, but I admit I'm rarely fully alive (more like mostly dead, I suppose, to quote Billy Crystal in that one flick) :D

After pouring over the track, Ombrenuit, I did notice one instance of a hard clip at a transistion point in the sequence and that the bass line is distorting. It isn't full-scale clipping, but it's possible that it's being clipped at the output for whatever reason. It isn't terrible (it would be a bit limiting in terms of what range I'll have to work with), and it's probably worsened by the MP3 coding, but perhaps it's something you can look in to and prevent should you record the sequence again.