The Dark Mod Forums

AI Vocalizations -- Master Document

Springheel

As NH mentioned in the other thread, it seems that very few people have read the pdf on vocalizations. This is understandable as it is pretty long and not an easy read--and it's also not easy to update. I think it's important to have a master list of vocalizations on the forum, however, so I've tried to break it down here.

This actually is a modified version of the original...I didn't like the fact that the original used a lot of TDS language (refering to "hammers", etc) and was working on some modifications to the file last fall, so this isn't necessarily "official".

The "characters" idea, for example, is an idea of mine to try and make the voices as versatile for mappers as possible, but it needs some discussion.

The number of wavs needed is on the conservative side, perhaps.

The Dark Mod Vocalization Document

Tone and Attitude

The Dark Mod strives to have a somewhat dark and believable tone. Character should avoid dramatic clichés and dialogue that sounds like sitcom humour. Characters should react with genuine emotion and in ways that make sense given their personality.

Dialogue should be generally modern, but with a vaguely medieval/renaissance flavour. Avoid modern-sounding words and phrases (eg, "What's up?" "See you later" or "I'm going to kick your ass"). But at the same time, this isn't Shakespeare--the dialogue has to sound fairly natural to modern English speakers.

AI Characters

In order to create a variety of character types, vocal sets will be created for various "characters". A character, in this sense, is a distinctive voice, personality, and way of speaking. The vocal set of any particular character can technically be used for any AI model, though some have been tailored to suit particular AI better than others. The following are brief descriptions of the vocal characters.

[i don't think we want to have every citywatch to necessarily have the same voice, or for every noble to be haughty and arrogant. By designing 'character' voices, that gives the mapper the freedom to give voices to AI based on their personality rather than just their model type.]

I've listed in Red the characters that I consider "Level A" (must haves).

Male:

"The Grumbler" -- a jaded, seen-it-all character with a gravelly voice; complains a lot; uneducated; gruff, talks about his aches, pains, hunger, boredom, losing at gambling, etc (suits guards, forger, servants)

"The Jock" -- young; eager; uneducated; physical and violent, talks about drinking, whoring, and fighting; lacks caution and patience (for guards, townsfolk, thieves)

"The Pro" -- shrewd; tough; uneducated but experienced; man of few words, very aware of his surroundings, often accurately predicts the player's behaviour (elite guards, mages, thieves, inventors, nobles)

"The Thug" -- crude and crass; uneducated; violent; threatening voice, talks about gambling, bullying, whoring, and bodily functions; swears a lot (guards, houseguards, thieves, townsfolk)

"The Whiner" -- educated complainer; nasal voice; self-important; fearful; talks about how his surroundings/other people are not up to his standards (nobles, servants, mages, inventors)

"The Lord" -- strong voice; educated; arrogant and cold; dismissive, talks about himself and his own power/money (nobles, mages, elite guards, inventors)

"The Elder" -- slow, old, talkative, uses lots of clichés, talks about the old days and his physical ailments (mage, townsfolk, servant, forger, inventors)

"The Bumpkin" -- rural, simple, uneducated, old oaths, perhaps accent? Talks about simple things like food and drink and hard work (pagans, townsfolk)

"The Young Builder" -- young; bravado; less archaic language than normal; cliché scriptures, full of faith and burning with confidence, talks about doing great work (builder guards, forgers, acolytes)

"The Mature Builder" -- strong voice, experienced, determined; archaic language; patient, talks about servitude, orthodoxy (builder guards, forgers, inquisitors, priests)

"The Old Builder" -- wise; archaic language; lots of scriptures used; talkative and somewhat overdramatic in their speech, gives a lot of advice (priests, inquisitors)

Female:

"The tough-girl" -- strong; confident; edgy; not very educated, talks about gambling, drinking and money (female guards, thieves, whores, townswomen, pagan women)

"the diva" -- educated; haughty; cold; talks about the failings of others (noblewoman, female mage, townswomen)

"The shy-girl" -- quiet, subservient, young, talks about fears and hopes and dreams for the future (female servant, townswomen, noblewoman)

"The mother hen" -- talkative, older, uses clichés, excitable, talks about children, taking care of people (female servant, townswoman, pagans)

Definitions:

Uneducated = uses lots of slang; simple words and concepts (eg, lots of talk about drinking, gambling), curses,

Educated = longer words and sentences, well enunciated, more sophisticated thoughts and concepts

Archaic = biblical-sounding language, using 'thee' and 'thy', for example

Cliches = phrases that sound like they're used all the time, like "once bitten twice shy" or "no use crying over spilled milk" etc.

[AI Non-Alert States]

These barks are for AI who are not doing anything in particular. They're not alert or reacting to anything, they're just going about their business. These AI are basically talking to themselves, so just like when people think out loud, the beginning and end of their dialogue will often trail off into mumbling.

State: Sleeping

Sleeping Sounds: Make a noise like you're sleeping. (This should preferably be long, perhaps 20 - 40 seconds; breathe slowly, snore occasionally--maybe a mumbled word here or there).

Number of Wavs: 3 male, 2 female

Not every character needs a specialized sleep sound--generic male and female ones would probably be fine.

State: Idle

Relaxed: You're not expecting any trouble. These are your humming, whistling, and mumbling noises. Generic coughing, spitting, and humming can be shared by multiple characters. Complaints about aches, pains, or hunger would be common. You shouldn't refer specifically to patrolling, as you may not be on the job.

Number of Wavs: 5 generic male, 5 generic female, plus 5 per character

"I wonder if I can nab something from the kitchen when I'm done?" -- grumbler

"Cobbler *still* didn't fix that damn nail poking me." -- grumbler

"*chuckle* still can't believe how quick that was over." (referring to a fight or game) -- jock

"Thy works will redeem thee." -- builders

"I must remember to *unintelligible*."

"Why is it so cold?" -- whiner/diva

"Bugger!" -- thug/jock

"How dare he tell me that *unintelligible*".

"4 gold in one night...that's the last time I bet against him..."

"A nice, steaming bowl of stew...is that too much to ask once in a while?"

At Alert 0: On the job. Similar to above, but sounding a little more alert--you're at work and there's reason to expect trouble.

Number of Wavs: 3 per character

"When are they going to send someone to relieve me? It feels like I've been here for all hours." -- grumbler

"Faith, I could use an ale about now." --grumbler/whiner/tough-girl

"If I see anyone tonight I'll gut them before they can blink twice." --jock

"Lord Builder, watch over us."-- builders

"I've got a bad feeling about this shift." --pro

"I'm getting so bored of this..." --whiner/jock

Idle, Drunk: You're drunk, making you louder, dumber, and more obnoxious than normal.

For Discussion: There seems to be three ways to deal with this: create a new "drunk" character set and use those vocals for any drunk character; make 'drunk' versions of all the characters, or something in between.

I don't think all characters need drunk vocalizations. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have a drunk builder, or a drunk "pro" for example. I'd be open to drunk versions of a few characters (the thug, grumbler, bumpkin and tough-girl are all prime candidates), or a new character, "the drunk".

[AI Alert States]

These barks are meant to inform the player that the AI have seen/heard something, that they are entering a new alert state, that they are searching, or that they are 'coming down' from an alert state.

(currently this uses the alert levels from the Design Docs, but those numbers may not be accurate)

To Alert 1/1.5: You think you noticed something, but you're not sure what. It was just barely enough to get your attention. This should be generic, and not refer to either hearing or seeing. The character is mostly talking to themselves, so they should not be particularly loud and may trail off.

"Hm? What?"

"What might that be?"

"Huh? Was that something...?"

"Hmm? 'Tis something...?" -- builders

To Alert 1/1.5 + Heard: Same as above, only this one means you notice something auditory.

"What was that sound?"

"I thought I heard something..."

"Hmm? A noise?"

To Alert 1/1.5 + Saw: Same as above, only you notice something with your sight.

"Did I see something?"

"Is that something over there?"

"Hmm? Movement?"

The original document included vocal sets for communicating Level 1 alerts to nearby friends. I've left those out. Since our Level 1 alerts often don't even cause AI to turn their heads, it seems out of place that they would be concerned enough to inform those around them.

To Alert 2: You notice something, and it caught your attention enough to warrant checking it out. (note, you're not investigating now, but will be right after you say this). You're more certain that what you saw was suspicious, so deliver the lines with more confidence than the above.

"What? What was that?"

"Hmm, that's odd."

"'Tis something, I'm sure of it."

"How now, what is that?"

To Alert 2 + Heard: You hear something loud which you should investigate. Same as above only now it's specific to hearing.

"What was that noise?"

"Hark, what is that over there?"

"That doesn't sound right..." -- pro

To Alert 2 + Saw: You saw something in the shadows which you should investigate. Same as above, only now specific to seeing.

"What's that in the shadows? I see that!"

"Hey, who's over there?"

"What's moving there?"

"Are my eyes deceiving me?" -- Elder

"Hark, is someone there?"

"Oh my, what is that?" -- shygirl, whiner. bumpkin

To Alert 2 + Company: You notice something general, and it caught your attention enough to warrant an investigation. You ask your partner to help you. (note, you're not investigating now, but will be right after you say this)

Number of Wavs: 2 per character

"Is something going on there? Let us see...."

"Did you notice anything?"

To Alert 2 + Company + Heard: You notice something auditory with your buddy and invite him/her to help you investigate.

"Did you hear that? Help me look around."

"Didst thou hear something?" -- builders

"Give me your help, I thought I heard something."

To Alert 2 + Company + Saw: You notice something visually amiss with your buddy and start to investigate.

"Did you see that? Give me a hand here."

"I saw something...come with me."

"Was that...did you see something?"

Returning to Alert 0, generic: You saw or heard something suspicious, but you can't find any evidence of anything serious. It was probably nothing. This bark will often accompany an animation of the AI putting his hands on his hips and looking around. Frustration, good-natured 'shrugging it off' and wary perplexion are all appropriate reactions. These barks do not refer to specifically hearing or seeing.

"Hmmm, nothing now...."

"Bah, I thought there might be some action." -- jock

"'tis nothing, it seems."

"...my imagination..."

"Just nerves." -- grumbler

"Some kind of trickery, no doubt."

"No, there's nothing. As I thought." -- pro

Returning to Alert 0, hearing: As above, but you thought you'd heard something.

"'been here so long I'm hearing things." -- grumbler

"My ears are playing tricks on me." --elder

"Could have sworn I heard something."

"Must've been rats."

"Vermin, no doubt."

"Probably just a draft."

"Sounds do echo about here."

Returning to Alert 0, sight: As above, but you thought you'd seen something.

"Just shadows."

"My/mine eyes aren't what they used to be." --elder/old builder

"Damn, I was sure I saw something."

"Was I mistaken? Hmph." -- pro/lord

"Mayhaps I imagined it."

"Was but the product of a distracted mind." -- whiner/lord

"A bat, perhaps?"

To Alert 3: You see or hear something that makes it pretty clear that there's someone there, but you don't know exactly who or where they are.

Number of Wavs: 5 per character

"Who goes there? Show yourself!"

"Step forward and identify yourself at once!"

"Alright, stop lurking and come out where I can see you."

"You better show yourself before I gut you." -- thug/jock

"My word, who is that?" -- whiner/elder/shy girl

"Is--is someone there?" [frightened] -- shy girl/whiner/bumpkin

"Show thy face at once!" -- builders

"Come forward, cretin!" -- Lord/Diva

"Who dares enter my presence unannounced?" --Lord/Diva

Returning to Alert 0 after search: Even though you're certain you saw someone, you've searched around and can't find them. This bark is played as you give up the search. Most AI are annoyed, though noncombattive types might be relieved.

"Trickery, no doubt."

"If I catch the villian that's playing about...."

"God protect thy servant from the devil's trickery." -- builders

"Fortune smiles on the fool." -- educated

"If there was someone, they're gone now."

"Coward."

"Buggered off before I could bleed 'im." --thug/jock

"Well, clearly there's no one now...." elder/whiner

"Bah, bloody *incomprehensible*...always wasting my time." -- grumbler

"I'm have a feeling that's not the last of him...." -- pro

"Whoreshit. I was hoping for a fight." jock/thug

"Most vexing...."

Return to Alert 1: You have confirmed there is an intruder but he's given you the slip. You've searched for him, but haven't been able to find him. You're giving up for now but you aren't letting your guard down.

"Well, he can't have gotten far."

"A pox on him. He's slipped away."

"I've earned my pay for the evening. Someone else can finish him." -- grumbler

"Damn, I wanted to finish this." --jock

"He may be safe for the moment, but he won't get out alive."

"I can't search forever." -- grumbler

"Fie on this, I'm going back to *incomprehensible*".

"Think you're pretty smart....disappearing like that? Coward!"

"You'd better not show your face again, thief, or I'll cut out your eyes!"

"No mercy next time, you villain."

Return with help, spot player: You have run away from the player, gotten help, and returned. The player is still there, so you call out excitedly.

"I told ye there was someone here."

"See? See?? Right where I said."

"There he is!"

"Alack! He's still there!"

"There! Get him!"

Return with help, lost player: You have returned with help but the player is no longer visible.

"There was someone here...I swear it!"

"Damn, he must have fled."

"Fie, where did he go?"

"Well he was here...."

Recently Saw Player: You just saw the player not too long ago, but the player escaped. Now, you're telling your brother that there is an intruder and that you have seen him.

"Stay sharp, we have an intruder at large."

"Pass the word, there’s a thief about."

"Be alert. There's trouble afoot."

[AI Searching]

You are actively looking for the intruder, and are either muttering to yourself or taunting them.

Investigate Alert 3: You're wandering around looking for some kind of intruder, but you're not 100% sure there is one. There is still a slight edge of uncertainty to your voice.

"If there's someone here, know that I'll find you."

"There are only so many places to hide."

"Don't waste my time further." -- grumbler

"Come out, poppet..." --thug/elder/mother hun

"Where arrrre you..." [sing-song]

"The longer I search the greater my anger when I find you..." -- grumbler

Investigate Alert 4: You know for sure there is an intruder, and you're looking for him. No uncertainty now--you're deadly serious.

"You can't hide forever!"

"You might as well come out. I swear I'll kill you quickly." - jock

"You lily-livered coward, come out and face me like a man!"

"Just make one little sound, villain, and you're done."

"I know you're here." - pro

"Pray to fortune I don't find you." --lord/elder

"I'm going to have your head on a pike when I find you."

"I'll have your guts for my bootstraps!" - thug/jock

"Fortune, let me find him!"

"Lord Builder, guide me to he that dishonours you." - builders

The following are all location specific barks, which we currently don't support in terms of code, but which may be useful for the future. I would think only 1 wav per character is needed.

Investigate barrel

"Better check behind those barrels."

Investigate chair:

"Better check behind that chair."

Investigate crates

"Better check behind those crates."

Investigate desk

"Better check around that desk."

Investigate door

"Better check behind that door."

Investigate ladder

"Better check around that ladder."

Investigate machinery

"Better check behind the machinery."

Investigate shelf

"Better check that shelf."

Investigate statue

"Better check that statue."

Investigate table

"Better check under that table."

Investigate curtains

"Hmmm. Better check behind those curtains."

Combat and Pursuit

You have spotted the player and identified him as an intruder. You are either attacking, or preparing to attack. If you're a noncombatant, you're getting ready to flee. Either way you want to draw a lot of attention to yourself, so you are generally shouting loudly.

Spotted the Player, combatant: You see the player and are preparing to attack.

"To arms! Taste my steel, villain!" -- jock

"I'm going to stuff your mouth full of your own entrails!" -- thug/jock

"There you are! Hrraarr!"

"No mercy, you dog!"

"I'm going to piss on your corpse when we're done here!" --thug

"Surrender or die, villain!" -- pro

"May the Lord have mercy on thy soul, thief!" -- builders

"All right, let's get this over with." -- grumbler

Spotted the Player, combattant, with help: You're with friends when you finally spot the player.

"Ho! Look there! A Thief!"

"To arms! There's an intruder!"

"Aid me! I'm going to attack."

"Let us get him!"

Spotted the Player with a Body, combatant: You see the player carrying a dead or unconscious person.

Number of Wavs: 1 per character

"Halt! Put that body down and surrender!"

"Drop that body, villain!"

Spotted the Player, noncombatant: You see the player and are preparing to flee.

"Help, there's an intruder!"

"A Thief! Someone help!"

"Oh! An intruder! Stay back!"

"Raise a hue and cry!"

"He's right here! Help me!

"I've got get out of here!"

Running Away for help: You're fleeing, either because you don't know how to fight, or you tried to fight and are badly hurt. Call out to for help.

"Help me! HELP!!!"

"Mercy, I pray for mercy!"

"Don't hurt me!"

"He's coming after me!"

"Lord Builder protect me!" --builder and any

Coming to assist: A comrade called for help (or you heard sounds of a fight) and you are on your way to assist them.

"Hold on. I'm coming!"

"I'll be there anon!"

"Help is on the way!"

"We'll take him together."

These are more location-specific barks. One per character should suffice.

Spot player distant - rafters: You see the player in the rafters.

"There's someone up in the rafters!"

Spot player distant roof. You see the player on the roof.

"There's someone up on the roof!"

Spot player distant steps. You see the player on the steps.

"There's someone on the steps!"

Spot player distant street. You see the player on the street.

"There's someone out in the street!"

Spot player distant water. You see the player in water.

"There's someone in the water!"

Charging the Player: You're going ballistic and running straight ahead at the player.

These are just battle cries and can be shared across multiple characters.

Number of Wavs: 5 male, 3 female

"Raaaa!"

Frustrated: The player is out of reach (such as standing on a stack of crates or across a chasm) and you can't reach him. You're angry and frustrated.

Number of Wavs: 4 per character

"You think you're safe there. Come here and fight me!"

"You know you can't get out of here alive."

"Bloody coward!"

"No one will save you now!"

"Come face me, you rump-fed rogue!"

"You may as well surrender." -- pro

"I can wait here all night."

Throw Object at Player: The player is out of reach (such as standing on a stack of crates) and you can't reach him. You're angry and throw something.

"Take THAT!"

"Coward! How'd you like a taste of this?"

"You think you're so clever? Take this!"

Shooting: You're shooting arrows at the player.

"The next one's going right through your eye, thief."

"Too bad for you, I'm a great shot."

"I'm going to fill you with arrows."

"Hold still."

Attacking, generic : These are general combat grunts that occur during fighting. These usually occur just as you're swinging your weapon. They can also be taunts that occur as you swing, such as "Take THAT!". These can be mostly shared among characters.

Number of Wavs: 8 generic male, 5 generic female

"Hya!"

"Hrrg!"

Attacking and Winning: You're grunting and attacking, only now you're a bit cockier because you're winning. These can be

grunts, like above, but can also be cocky remarks you spout out as you swing your hammer. Grunts can be shared among characters.

Number of Wavs: 3 generic male, 3 generic female, 2 per character

"Take this! Hiya!"

"Is that the best you can do?"

"You fight like a woman!"

"Do you even know how to use that?"

"My sister is better with a blade than you."

"What's the matter, whey-face?"

"I've killed much better than you." --pro/jock

"Art thou a man?" -- builders

Hit the Player: You just thwacked the player with your weapon. Celebrate and ask him how it feels.

"You like that, worm?"

"Taste my steel!"

"Take that, rogue." --Lord

"Ha villain!"

"You want more of that?" --jock/thug

Hit the Player + Company: Same as above only your partner is nearby. Brag about hitting the player.

"Look at him bleed!"

"I got him!"

Blocked the Player: You blocked the player's attack. Respond with a cocky remark.

"Give up already. You can't get away!"

"You'll have to be faster than that."

"My sister could block that swing."

"You have used a sword before, right?" -- pro/Lord

"The Lord Builder protects me." -- builders

Blocked the Player + Company: You blocked the player and a fellow guard is nearby. Tell your brother the player can't fight worth a crap.

"Don't worry, this one fights like a child."

"Bah. I could take this one in my sleep."

"Look at how he holds that sword!"

"What an amateur!" -- pro

Hit By the Player + Hi Hit Points: You just got hit, but you still have a lot of energy left. This is a grunt of pain as you get hit with the sword. Grunts can be shared by characters.

Number of Wavs: 6 generic male, 4 generic female

"Ow"

"Ah!"

Hit By the Player + Low Hit Points: You got hit by the player, and you're seriously injured. This is a grunt of pain that sounds more strained.

Number of Wavs: 6 generic male, 4 generic female

"OW!!!"

"Aggh!"

Hit By the Player No Damage: The player tried to blackjack you but failed. What an idiot.

"Huh! Is that the best you can do?"

"Ow. You're going to regret that, you bastard."

"Huh? Nice try, thief."

"Ow, Wha--? You'll pay for that!"

Blocked by the Player: The player blocked your attack. But he can't block them all.

"You were lucky that time!"

"Fortune always favours fools!" -- elder/whiner/bumpkin

"I made that too easy."

"So you do have some fight in you."

[i'm not sure if we need separate vocals for these next two or not]

Ambushed: You got hit in the back while you weren't looking and are feeling the pain. Your grunt should express both pain and surprise.

"Wh--Ahhh! "

"Ow! Treachery!"

Ambushed + Company: You got hit in the back while you weren't looking. You're surprised and hurt, and calling for aid.

"Help! An ambush!"

"OW! Help me!"

Many of the following are nonverbal grunts, which could easily be shared between characters.

Blinded: You have been blinded by a flash of light.

Number of Wavs: 2 per character.

guard1_blinded_1

"Gah...ahhhh"

“Wh… I can’t see!”

[Do we support lighting guards on fire?]

On Fire: You are on fire. This should be a drawn out scream.

Number of Wavs: 5 generic male, 3 generic female

guard1_onfire_1

"GGGEEEYAAAGGHHH"

Gassed: You have been gassed. Cough, sputter and pass out. This should be quick-a second or two at most (it's fast gas). Coughing can be shared among characters

"..cough cough"

Drowning: You are drowning. Gurgle and choke.

"Gurgle"

Plummeting: You are falling to your death. It's scary.

"EEEYYYAAAGGHHH"

Die Quiet: You got assassinated or blackjacked and are going down. Make a grunt, but as the name suggests, it's kind of quiet. This should only be about a second in length.

"UNH"

Die Loud: Yep. You're dead. Theatrics are welcomed here, though not over the top. This should be about 2 - 4 seconds in length. It could include grunts, gasps or groans, though any words should be gasped or whispered in a way that the specific voice is not identifiable.

Number of Wavs: 7 generic male, 4 generic female

"GAHHHHHHHHHHH"

"Noooo....."

The following are a *long* list of location specific barks from the original document. I personally don't konw if the following are worth the time and effort to record, *especially* the female ones. But if they are, 1 per character would suffice.

[Location specific male Player]

Tell by location alley male player: Saw the player in the alley and you tell your comrades.

He's in the alley!

Tell by location atrium male player: Saw the player in the atrium and you tell your atrium.

He's in the atrium!

Tell by location bathroom: Saw the player in the bathroom and you tell your comrades.

"He's in the bathroom!"

Tell by location bedroom: Saw the player in the bedroom and you tell your comrades.

He's in the bedroom!

Tell by location basement: Saw the player in the basement and you tell your comrades.

He's in the basement!

Tell by location chamber: Saw the player in the chamber and you tell your comrades.

He's in the chamber!

Tell by location chapel: Saw the player in the chapel and you tell your comrades.

He's in the chapel!

Tell by location courtyard: Saw the player in the courtyard and you tell your comrades.

He's in the courtyard!

Tell by location hallway: Saw the player in the hallway and you tell your comrades.

He's in the hallway!

Tell by location inside: Saw the player inside and you tell your comrades.

He's inside!

Tell by location kitchen: Saw the player in the kitchen and you tell your comrades.

He's in the kitchen!

Tell by location library: Saw the player in the library and you tell your comrades.

He's in the library!

Tell by location outside: Saw the player outside and you tell your comrades.

He's outside!

Tell by location ladder: Saw the player climbing ladder and you tell your comrades.

He's on the ladder!

[Location specific female Player]

Tell by location alley female player: Saw the player in the alley and you tell your comrades.

She's in the alley!

Tell by location atrium female player: Saw the player in the atrium and you tell your comrades.

She's in the atrium!

Tell by location bathroom female player: Saw the player in the bathroom and you tell your comrades.

She's in the bathroom!

Tell by location bedroom: Saw the player in the bedroom and you tell your comrades.

She's in the bedroom!

Tell by location basement: Saw the player in the basement and you tell your comrades.

She's in the basement!

Tell by location chamber: Saw the player in the chamber and you tell your comrades.

She's in the chamber!

Tell by location chapel: Saw the player in the chapel and you tell your comrades.

She's in the chapel!

Tell by location courtyard: Saw the player in the courtyard and you tell your comrades.

She's in the courtyard!

Tell by location hallway: Saw the player in the hallway and you tell your comrades.

She's in the hallway!

Tell by location inside: Saw the player inside and you tell your comrades.

She's inside!

Tell by location kitchen: Saw the player in the kitchen and you tell your comrades.

She's in the kitchen!

Tell by location library: Saw the player in the library and you tell your comrades.

She's in the library!

Tell by location outside: Saw the player outside and you tell your comrades.

She's outside!

Tell by location ladder: Saw the player climbing ladder and you tell your comrades.

She's on the ladder!

Find States

You have found or observed something that looks out of place. You aren't seeing or hearing the player, but something that might be a sign that an intruder was here earlier. Since you don't expect anyone is nearby, you're mostly muttering to yourself.

Suspicious Item, Generic: There is something nearby which should not be there or something which is amiss (such as when a guard notices that a chair is knocked over). However, you're not going to get too worked up. It just seems strange to you. This is a generic bark so should not refer to anything specific.

Number of Wavs: 4 per character

"Hmmm, that's odd."

"'tis strange."

"Hmm?"

"Now who might have done that?"

Notice Weapon: There is a weapon lying around. How did it get there?

"A weapon?"

"Now who left a weapon lying around?"

"'Tis a weapon...most strange."

Notice Door Open: There is a door open that shouldn't be.

"Who left this door open?"

"Why is this open?"

"No wonder there's a draft..." -- grumbler

Notice lights off, generic: The lights are off, but shouldn't be--these can be used for all types of light.

"Who turned out the light?"

"It shouldn't be so dark in here."

"How am I to do my job in the dark?" -- grumbler

Notice lights out, flame: You notice a torch or candle that should be lit has gone out.

"Bah, the wind is always putting those out." -- grumbler

"When did that go out?"

"Who put that out?"

Relight light, flame: You notice that a light source is out. You relight it.

"This is the last time I relight this damn thing tonight!"

"Why can't they put some decent lighting in here?"

"I suppose I'll have to relight it."

Refuse to relight Torch: You notice that a flame is out. Refuse to relight it.

"I'm sick of these things sputtering out. Someone else can deal with it!"

"Bah, no point in relighting it if it keeps going out."

"It's not my job to relight those things."

Notice Blood on Floor: There is blood on the floor. Obviously something serious is going on.

"Blood? There's foul play afoot!!"

"Someone's been hurt!"

"What bloody deed is this?"

"What happened here?"

"Treachery!"

[Do we want AI to distinguish between a dead or uncounscious body? I'm not sure most would bother to check, or whether we'll have to code to distinguish, but I'll include barks for them.]

Found Generic Body: You find a body on the ground with no visible signs of injury.

"Someone fetch a surgeon!"

"Guards! A body!"

Found Female Body: You find the body of a woman on the ground with no visible signs of injury.

"Help! She's hurt!"

"There's a woman here!"

"Guards! A woman has been hurt!"

Found Male Body: You find the body of a man on the ground with no visible signs of injury.

"Help! He's hurt!"

"There's a man on the ground!"

Found Body Dead: You find a body of someone obviously dead.

"Murder! Someone's been killed!"

"Murder and treachery!"

"Raise the alarm!"

'Who hath done this bloody deed?" -- builders

"Life is but a shadow." -- educated

Found Female Body Dead: You find the dead body of a woman on the ground.

"She's dead! Who would do such a thing?"

"Murder! Murder! She's been killed!"

"Lord have mercy on us all. A woman's been slain!"

"Out, out, brief candle." -- Lord

Found Male Body Dead: You found a man, dead on the ground.

"God save us! He's dead!"

"Murder! There's a man killed!"

"Struck down in his youth." -- elder

"Whoa, look at all the blood!" --jock

Found Body comrade: You find a comrade, dead on the ground. [Not sure how we define "comrade"...is that any AI on the same team? Only AI on the same team of the same "AI USE" type? This needs some thought]

"Damn my eyes! Someone's killed one of our men."

"Bloody villain! I'll find out who did this!"

"Murder!! Sound the alarm!!"

Recently Found Body: You recently found a body and are relaying the information to a friend.

"Be careful, there's a murderer on the loose!"

"Watch yourself, there's an armed intruder about."

"Someone is killing people! Be careful!" -- whiner/bumpkin

Had pocket picked: You had something on your belt, and now it's gone! That's pretty suspicious...though it's possible it *might* have fallen off, so it's not absolute proof of an intruder.

"Wha--where'd it go?"

"Huh? it's gone?"

"Heyyy... did I drop that somewhere?"

"Fie! I've lost it."

"What trickery is this?"

Found Something Missing: There is something significant missing that shouldn't be. You've obviously been robbed and you know it.

"There's a thief in the building!"

"Intruder! Raise the alarm!"

"Damn my eyes, someone's taken it!"

"Who could have taken it?"

"From right under my nose? Someone's going to pay." -- jock

"Heyyy.... that shouldn't be missing, should it?" --whiner/bumpkin

"Does my memory fail me, or was that there but a moment ago?" -- elder/mother hen

Recently Found Something Missing: You know you've been robbed and you're telling your buddy about it.

"We've been robbed! Be on the lookout for an intruder."

"There's a burglar on the premises."

"Keep a sharp eye out--there's a thief nearby."

Conversational

These vocalizations are for AI who are talking to each other during their idle state. They are generally played as the encounter another friendly or neutral AI while walking around (if they meet enemy AI they just play an attack or flee bark). How they talk to that person depends on whether they are a social equal or not. In order to be most useful these are fairly generic.

[i struggled to find something that seemed reasonable without requiring tons of specific vocals, but I'm still not entirely sure how this would work with our AI_USE spawnarg. Suggestions welcome.]

Greeting Peer: You spot a social equal (two townsfolk, a merchant and an off-duty guard, etc)and greet them casually. (This bark would also serve as a response....one character says, "God be with you," and the other responds, "Well met." or whatever, randomly.)

Number of wavs: 5 per character

"'Tis good to see you."

"God be with you."

"May the Lord Builder bless thy works." -- builders

"Good morrow."

"Good morrow to you."

"Well met."

"Greetings, friend."

"Fortune favour you." -- bumpkin

Greeting Peer guard: You spot a social equal who is a guard, on patrol. You greet them casually. (Check the "Reply, Peer to Peer, guard" responses below...any greetings must match up reasonably well with the existing responses).

Number of wavs: 2 per character

"Quiet shift?"

"Good to see you on patrol."

"Any trouble tonight?"

"You deserve a drink later."

"Any action?" -- jock

"Good showing, my lad." -- elder

"Anything suspicious?"

"Poor thing, keeping you on your feet all hours." -- mother hen

"Be vigilant."

"I feel safer with you around." --shy girl/whiner

Greeting Inferior guard: You spot a guard on patrol. They are beneath you (you are a noble, a wealthy merchant, their boss) and you greet them appropriately.

Number of wavs: 4 per character

"Stand up straight."

"Keep your eyes open."

"Are you supposed to be doing that?" -- whiner

"Hard work is good for the soul." -- elder/builders

"Look alive, there."

"Earning your pay, are you?"

"No sleeping on the job." -- lord/pro

"Show some respect, villain." -- lord

"The men are so young these days." --elder/mother hen

Greeting Superior: You spot someone who is above you on the social ladder (wealthy merchant, etc) and greet them with respect.

"Good day, noble sir."

"God save you, noble sir."

"Good morrow, sir."

"Greetings, good master."

Greeting Nobleman: You spot a nobleman and greet them as they deserve.

Number of wavs: 1 per character

"Greetings, my Lord."

"Blessings upon thee, my good lord."

"M'lord." -- bumpkin/thug

Greeting Noblewoman: You spot a noblewoman and greet them as they deserve.

"Greetings, my Lady."

"M'lady."

"Good morrow, Mistress."

Greeting Priest: You spot a priest and greet them as they deserve.

Number of wavs: 1 per character, 2 per builder character

"Greetings, Father."

"Good morrow, Holy Father."

"God bless thee, Father."

Not sure if these next two are valuable or not.

Greeting Beast: You spot a beast that is non-hostile.

"Err...nice fellow."

"Who let that in here?"

"Shoo."

"Ho, beast."

"'tis a big one."

Greeting SteamBeast: You spot an automaton that is non-hostile.

"'Tis a marvel, indeed."

"That must cost a fool's ransom."

"I hate the noise they make."

"No good will come of those."

"What will they think of next?"

"These beasts unnerve me."

"I get a chill each time I behold these creations." -- educated

General replies need to be kept quite generic, as they are a random response. Every response has to be appropriate for every possible greeting. While "Fine." is an appropriate response to "How are you?" or "You deserve a drink later." it would sound less good if it followed, "Any trouble tonight?" Keep the dialogue fairly monotone so that it can be used as the answer to a question or just a comment.

Response to Peer, guard: A social equal just greeted you while you're on duty, and you respond.

Number of wavs: 3 per character

"Yeah, yeah." [dismissive/distracted]

"Huh, nothing happens on my watch." [bored] --jock

"Heh, nothing happens on my watch." [proud] -- pro

"All right, move along." [businesslike]

"You said it."

"True, that."

"A few more hours to go."

"Just the way I like it."

"Not if I can help it. *chuckle*" [joking]

"Sorry, I'm busy." [dismissive]

"Heh heh.." [quiet chuckle]

Response to superior, guard: A superior (your boss, a nobleman) just greeted you while you're on duty, and you respond. Depending on your character, your response is legitimately respectful or grudgingly so. Keep the delivery fairly monotone so it suits a wider range of greetings. All responses must make sense when combined with Greeting Inferior Guard, above.

"Yes sir."

"As you wish."

"Uh huh."

"Aye m'lord."

Response to inferior: You are a noble, priest or other person high on the social ladder, and you were just greeted by an inferior. Respond appropriately. (These will be blended in with peer to peer greetings, for nicer nobles).

"Stand aside."

"Look out, you."

"As you were."

"Carry on."

"Why do you speak to me?"

Player Vocals

These are the sounds the player makes. While most of the in-game vocals will be grunts or cries, it might be worth recording some common phrases that mappers could use during cut-scenes or for added effect during the game.

Injured, Light: You've just been hurt but it's not serious. Just general "oof" or "urg" grunts will do.

Number of wavs: 4

Injured, Serious: You've just been hurt, by falling or getting hit, and it's serious. You're in pain. "Aaagh!"

Number of wavs: 4

Injured, gas: You've been caught by poison gas. Cough and sputter for about 5 seconds.

Number of wavs: 2

Injured, Death You've just been injured and killed. Make your best death cry/scream/gurgle.

Number of wavs: 3

Injured, Death, drowning: A gurgling sound as you choke to death.

Exertion: You are exerting yourself, by pulling yourself up somewhere or running and jumping. A general exhalation/grunt.

Number of wavs: 3

Held Breath: You just finished holding your breath...let it out all at once.

Number of wavs: 1

Congratulatory: You just achieved a mission objective and did it particularly well. Congratulate yourself.

"That was easier than I thought."

"Not bad at all."

Uncertain: You have a bad feeling.

"I have a bad feeling about this."

"This doesn't look good."

Got Loot: You just picked up an important piece of loot.

"This should fetch a good price."

"This certainly makes it worth the trouble."

Curious: You've stumbled on something interesting.

"Now what's going on here?"

"Now *this* is interesting..."

I've implemented the barks for going up and down in alert level now. You will still not always hear the appropriate barks, but this is because not all of the sounds are there yet.

The numbers in the design document and sound shaders did not match the ones in the code, so I renamed the sounds, sound shaders and names in the def file.

Here are the current alert index numbers and sounds:

0 Idle AI plays snd_relaxed if it has no evidence of intruders

1 Observant (most minor alert possible, AI continues what they are doing) AI plays snd_alert1 (generic) or snd_alert1s (saw something) or snd_alert1h (heard something). (the sounds that are specific to AI with company have been taken out according to the above post)

When going back to idle, they play snd_alertdown0 / snd_alertdown0s / snd_alertdownh (depending on alert type)

2 Suspicious (AI look at alert position. might stop and turn) uses the same sounds as Alert 1

3 Searching AI plays snd_alert3 / snd_alert3s / snd_alert3h / snd_alert3c / snd_alert3sc / snd_alert3hc (depending on alert type and if they have company).

When going back to idle they either play the same as after alert1 (has seen no evidence of intruders) or snd_alertdown0SeenEvidence (has evidence, giving up search, frustration. This one is played during Observant state, so that there is time for a future "giving up" anim)

4 Agitated searching Plays snd_alert4 / snd_alert4s (there is no "hearing"-specific sound right now, although it is possible that this state is reached by audible alert - shall we add this?)

When dropping back to alert3, they play snd_alertdown3. (This one is not in the document, but since it was already there I left it in. I can also remove it if it's not needed.)

When eventually dropping back to idle after agitated searching, they will play either snd_alertdown0SeenNoEvidence or snd_alertdown0SeenEvidence (played during observant state, for "giving up" anim)

5 Combat Plays snd_combat. When the enemy was lost, snd_lostTrackOfEnemy is played and the AI falls back to agitated searching.

There is also a new cvar "tdm_ai_showbark" that displays the current sound name.

When dropping back to alert3, they play snd_alertdown3. (This one is not in the document, but since it was already there I left it in. I can also remove it if it's not needed.)

Basically I assumed that the "Returning to Alert 0" would cover coming down from alert 1-3 (no certain evidence). "Returning to Alert 0 after search" would cover alert 4 (pretty certain they saw someone), and "Return to Alert 1:" would be used for coming down from alert 5 (definitely saw and pursued player).

When they go down from alert 4 to alert 3, aren't they still searching? Does anything actually change in their behaviour that warrants a bark? I had only thought of barks for when they gave up the search, not for when they were in the process of 'ramping down'.

Basically I assumed that the "Returning to Alert 0" would cover coming down from alert 1-3 (no certain evidence). "Returning to Alert 0 after search" would cover alert 4 (pretty certain they saw someone), and "Return to Alert 1:" would be used for coming down from alert 5 (definitely saw and pursued player).
That's mostly how I implemented it. :) There's only one difference: When they have seen the enemy before, they do the "Returning to Alert 0 after search" also when coming down from alert 3 (searching), since they would be more likely to assume that a new alert is coming from an enemy. I can change that of course.

When they go down from alert 4 to alert 3, aren't they still searching? Does anything actually change in their behaviour that warrants a bark? I had only thought of barks for when they gave up the search, not for when they were in the process of 'ramping down'.

That's true, they are still searching, but only in a less agitated way. I'll remove the bark.

When they have seen the enemy before, they do the "Returning to Alert 0 after search" also when coming down from alert 3 (searching), since they would be more likely to assume that a new alert is coming from an enemy. I can change that of course.

No, that actually makes a lot of sense.

That's true, they are still searching, but only in a less agitated way. I'll remove the bark.

Yeah, those barks wouldn't make much sense if they're still searching.

I've removed the bark at the transistion from agiatatd searching to searching (not on SVN yet). I'm currently working on these:

[AI Searching]

You are actively looking for the intruder, and are either muttering to yourself or taunting them.

Investigate Alert 3: You're wandering around looking for some kind of intruder, but you're not 100% sure there is one. There is still a slight edge of uncertainty to your voice.

"If there's someone here, know that I'll find you."

"There are only so many places to hide."

"Don't waste my time further." -- grumbler

"Come out, poppet..." --thug/elder/mother hun

"Where arrrre you..." [sing-song]

"The longer I search the greater my anger when I find you..." -- grumbler

Investigate Alert 4: You know for sure there is an intruder, and you're looking for him. No uncertainty now--you're deadly serious.

"You can't hide forever!"

"You might as well come out. I swear I'll kill you quickly." - jock

"You lily-livered coward, come out and face me like a man!"

"Just make one little sound, villain, and you're done."

"I know you're here." - pro

"Pray to fortune I don't find you." --lord/elder

"I'm going to have your head on a pike when I find you."

"I'll have your guts for my bootstraps!" - thug/jock

"Fortune, let me find him!"

"Lord Builder, guide me to he that dishonours you." - builders

Are they supposed to be played during agitated searching only or also during searching? At the moment they only start when the AI reaches agitated searching, but then they keep on playing until they go back to suspicious.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the terms we're using. What is 'agitated searching' again? The Alert 3 search above is for stimulus that is strong enough for the AI to start actively searching around (as opposed to walking a few feet towards the stimulus and stopping) with weapon out. Alert 4 searching is for when the AI actually identified the player first, but then lost them and is trying to find them again (or is perhaps searching because of some other indisputible evidence, like an alarm or dead body).

edit: Oh, are you asking if the AI should play the Alert 3 ones if he starts at Alert 4 and then 'ramps down' to Alert 3? I'm not sure, but I would say probably not. The Alert 3 ones are supposed to be slightly uncertain, and an AI that has already spotted the player wouldn't sound uncertain. They should probably continue to play the Alert 4 barks until they give up searching.

That answers my questions, thanks.

Both sounds are actually played in alert state 4 (agitated searching), but the right one is chosen depending if the AI has seen evidence of intruders already. So I'm just going to let the current sound continue while the AI ramps down, until it reaches suspicious.

@Springheel, NH: I have some additions to the above states, based on the current code:

We have these states in our code (already working), but they don't have sounds to play:

- Blinded State "I'm blinded!"

- Death Sounds

- Knockout Sounds

- Gas Coughing

- MoveToCoverState - AI is backing away because the player is drawing his shortbow

- Found unconscious body (male/female/comrade)

These are also supported in principle, but probably low-priority and not working yet:

- Friendly Joke: Guard is meeting another guard on patrol and telling a joke

- Response to Friendly Joke

- Insult

- Response to Insult

- Request for Light (maybe to ask a friendly guard with a torch for help)

- Follow me order/request

Whether the last batch should be implemented or not, is debatable, but I'd vote for considering the first list (the one with BlindedState). I hope I didn't miss anything in the list above, sorry if I overlooked what was already covered in Springheel's posts above.

@Springheel, NH: I have some additions to the above states, based on the current code:

We have these states in our code (already working), but they don't have sounds to play:

- Death Sounds

- Knockout Sounds

- Gas Coughing

- MoveToCoverState - AI is backing away because the player is drawing his shortbow

We don't have sounds for those? That's odd, I uploaded them with all the others. :( I don't think I ever removed them.

This is what I have on my system.

post-3-1208464567_thumb.jpg

Inside the 'voices' folder, there is a pdf called Vocal Key and it lists the vocal folds and all the voices within them. These were designed to follow the AI vocal organization of T2 and T3.

No, that's not what I meant - we have sound shaders for those and I think we have the placeholder sounds for them, but they are not mentioned in Springheel's posts above, where all the text variations are defined.

Sorry for being unclear - did I clarify it?

No, that's not what I meant - we have sound shaders for those and I think we have the placeholder sounds for them, but they are not mentioned in Springheel's posts above, where all the text variations are defined.

Sorry for being unclear - did I clarify it?

Ok, I understand.

The sounds exist for all of these...

- Death Sounds

- Knockout Sounds

- Gas Coughing

This might be an exception...but I think it is likely called something else. There should be something under 'assistance' perhaps. Has everyone listened to all the voices yet? If the states aren't matching up with what I recorded, this could get really messy. :(

Oops. Those were in the master document and I forgot to copy them over. I'll add them above.

Found unconscious body (male/female/comrade)

I'm pretty sure I included that one, but with a question mark. Do we want AI to tell the difference between an unconscious and dead body? Many AI wouldn't bother to check, and unless there is a lot of blood it wouldn't be immediately obvious. I basically divided the barks into "obvious signs of injury" or not.

Found Generic Body: You find a body on the ground with no visible signs of injury.

As for:

- Follow me order/request

You're right. I was thinking we could just use pick appropriate ones from the "Recently Saw Player" or "Spotted the Player, noncombatant" list. Since this is almost always going to happen a good distance from the player (since any AI close by would be alerted by the initial shouts for help), I don't know if we need a specific vocal set for it.

By the way, some of the sets were designed to be mixed together...for example, the generic, "Notice Lights off" can be played ANY time an AI sees lights off, but if it is specifically a torch, then they can play either "Notice lights out, flame" OR "Notice Lights off generic" barks. This adds more variety without having to record lots of extra barks. I didn't do anything specific to make that clear, but I can go back through them and indicate it if you like.

I'm mildly confused now. New Horizon, I assumed you will be using the definitions in this thread as a basis for recording, won't you?

That's why I posted the "Blinded State" sounds here. This doesn't mean that they are not in SVN - I'm well aware that there are sounds in SVN, but the current sound set is going to be entirely replaced by Springheel's scheme above, as I understand it.

Did I miss something?

I'm confused myself, because I created my vocal sound scheme as my recording guide and as the guide to use when programming the vocal states. I thought spring was just making my document easier to understand or something not changing anything. I've been tied up with work and recording with the band recently, so I haven't had a chance to review what has been done. I'm hoping there haven't been major changes because I set the vocal pdf up long ago so that this kind of thing wouldn't be happening at the last minute.

Well, Springheel's scheme looks more complete than the PDF and it's full of textual examples too. Are you not going to use the text examples as posted above? There has been a new AI state "ObservantState" inserted into the AI behaviour which required some tuning. I'd vote strongly for using the above scheme and not just the PDF. There are surely a lot of overlaps of both documents (this thread and the PDF), but this has to be consolidated.

Your vocal PDF is fine, but as you said, it hasn't been changed for years - it's not realistic to believe that we wouldn't need to change anything before we go into recording. We have followed the design documents as closely as possible, but I can't exactly design an AI after the PDF - there must be room for changes to that document.

If it helps, I can spend a few hours comparing your document to the info in this thread and point out the changes. Just to make sure we get the most feature complete sound set out of both worlds.