The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Mapper Expectations

HappyCheeze

I'm interested in applying for beta mapper status. I think it would awesome and would open up another dimension for mapping for me.

My big queston is how much are you expecting of me?

I'm half way thorugh my second semester college. Once summer hits I'll have plenty more time to map, but right now, exams are getting closer. I still work on my maps, (I'm always drawing map layouts at school when I'm not doing something else) [it's one of those hobbies that finds its way into my life, regardless, but the less demanding the schoolwork, the more mapping.]

So if I could get a rundown on how things are checked, is it a regularly scheduled check up on work? Is it a post as you work basis?

The less strict the schedule the better, and I'll get better with timing once summer hits.

I'm trying to figure out whether I should apply now and work when I can, or if I should wait till I have the most time.

I'm thinking I should apply soon, but I want to hear what you guys think, What do you guys do?

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

There are different things that betamappers do to help other than just map away.

You will be expected to try out new features being worked on to see how it works for you on your system, look for bugs, etc.

There is no tight schedule, but you should try to stay doing some mapping at least always a little bit so that you keep up with what's going on all the time.

You should also plan to stay in the deal for the long haul, don't be a betamapper and then disappear in a month.

You will need to try various aspects of mapping, not just learn some basics and do them forever over and over just building your world. Try various approaches and parts of the editor, pushing the limits of how things work, and then give feedback and ideas and bug reports, and that will make you a good betamapper :)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Komag hit the nail pretty much on the head, I'd only add this: Beta Mappers are basically the "pioneers" of TDM mapping and they are expected to pave the way for future mappers, when TDM is publically available. This means they are meant to share their work and knowledge, by writing tutorials, figure things out (there's nobody who knows everything about the Doom 3 engine), maybe even contribute textures, particles, models or prefabs. There's nothing wrong with fixing minor bugs, additionally to reporting them, but that's not everyone's strength. Getting into the Mod, downloading the most recent build and rushing off is definitely not the thing we need (we've got enough inactive beta mappers already, who just disappeared without caring to let us know what's up - it's not very respectful either, imo).

And, once you're onboard, you're also expected to keep the confidential things confidential and to not "leak" anything from the private discussions to the public without asking. That goes without saying, and has not been a problem in the past (at least I'm not aware of any "incident"), just mentioning.

I'd say you post the best screenshtos of your work here and I don't think you will have troubles becoming a Beta Mapper. :)

I think beta mappers really serve two major functions:

1) Motivation for the entire team

- programmers, texture artists, modelers all love seeing their stuff used in maps in standard or new creative ways and this is a real motivator for pushing on to make and improve things.

2) Knowledge sharers

- Beta mapping is also a awesome way to find bugs and explore the D3 engine as well as the mod. It's important to always share anything that can be considered important with everyone else.

These two things are really only achievable through dedication and skill, which are achieved through practice! PRACTICE PRACTICE! :D

3) Making more real, playable maps for the rest of us to test things in. :) Especially important for seeing how the AI responds in a less artificial situation than the typical "big stone cube" test map, and for optimisation.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Cool, sounds really involving, and I'd like to do that. I've never mapped for a mod team before, so it'll be something different and interesting and challanging.

I'll start touching up my maps, I've got one that I've really been focusing on, and I've got all the foundations down. Just fleshing it out now.

I'll send a post of my screenies some time in the near future.

Awesome, I'll be around.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|