The Dark Mod Forums

Another DarkRadiant bug to report...

AluminumHaste

I'm using the prerelease build version 0.9.6 (Build Date: Feb 24th 2008) according to the help text.

Here are the steps to my problem:

1> Create a new map (or use any map)

2> right click any window and choose; Create Entity-> and then select the ornate key one.

3> Then click "Cancel" in the entity selection window.

Do steps 2 and 3 a couple of times. After that the entity window no longer appears when you right click and select create entity.

Also if you do the same steps afterwards with the Create Model selection, when you right click and select "Create Entity" the "Choose Model" GUI appears instead of the "Choose Entity"

Also, sometimes when you cancel an entity selection window, a box appears that has no name in the game world. This shows up as a black box while playing the level in game.

PS also when this happens you can no longer exit the editor by clicking on the "X" at the top right of the window. You have to use Alt+F4 or go to File->Exit

Edited by AluminumHaste

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Does this also happen with a more recent version? The scenegraph code has drastically changed since Feb 24th and I don't want to hunt bugs in old versions, if I don't have to. :)

In case you don't have a working compile environment, there is a newer pre-release version here:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/DarkRadia...t-0.9.6pre6.exe

That's pre6, compiled yesterday.

Does this also happen with a more recent version? The scenegraph code has drastically changed since Feb 24th and I don't want to hunt bugs in old versions, if I don't have to. :)

In case you don't have a working compile environment, there is a newer pre-release version here:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/DarkRadia...t-0.9.6pre6.exe

That's pre6, compiled yesterday.

thank you will check that out. I tried compiling my own via SVN checkout and VC++ compiler but it didn't compile the exe, unless I'm doing something wrong. I followed the wiki guide but it's still not working 100%.

thank you will check that out. I tried compiling my own via SVN checkout and VC++ compiler but it didn't compile the exe, unless I'm doing something wrong. I followed the wiki guide but it's still not working 100%.

Okay not sure if this is a bug, but when you create a func_static out of brushes you can no longer use it to subtract from other brushes. I seem to remember that you could before, but maybe I'm just crazy.

You mean, you'd like to use a func_static to substract that from other brushes? I can add support for this, but only if it's really necessary.

Well I made a door frame on one side of the door, then grouped it into a func_static. I also added some trim at waist level around the rooms. When I cloned the door frame and put it on the other side, the trim went into the frame. usually I'd just hit "subtract" and the trim would be cut at the edges of the door frame, but nothing happened this time, but I'm not 100% sure that anything happened before.

I know you can use a brush to subtract from a brush entity, but not the other way around. Not sure how useful this would be though.

If you're not sure about the usefulness yourself, then I'd rather leave it. ;)

Also, beware of the Subtract tool, it can cut your geometry in pretty "inefficient" pieces. I'd use that one sparsely, just so that you're aware.

Here are the steps to my problem:

1> Create a new map (or use any map)

2> right click any window and choose; Create Entity-> and then select the ornate key one.

3> Then click "Cancel" in the entity selection window.

Do steps 2 and 3 a couple of times. After that the entity window no longer appears when you right click and select create entity.

Also if you do the same steps afterwards with the Create Model selection, when you right click and select "Create Entity" the "Choose Model" GUI appears instead of the "Choose Entity"

Also, sometimes when you cancel an entity selection window, a box appears that has no name in the game world. This shows up as a black box while playing the level in game.

PS also when this happens you can no longer exit the editor by clicking on the "X" at the top right of the window. You have to use Alt+F4 or go to File->Exit

This problem just happened again with the latest release (0.9.6). I first created some brushes, then selected them all, then right clicked and converted to func_static. Then, with the entity still selected, I opened the entity window, and clicked on the "name" field. I changed to name to whatever, then select the "classname" field. I click on the "choose entity class" button that shows up in the entity window and browsed through the movers and realized that I didn't want to convert to a movable so hit the cancel button.

Everything appears to work, but then I realized that I wanted to create a rope entity, so I right clicked and selected "Create entity..." but hit cancel for some reason. Realizing that I was indeed in the right window, right clicked again and selected "Create entity..." this time no window comes up and no error or message is verbosed to the console. Now you can't close the program by clicking on the "X" or going to File->Exit (sometimes it still works from the menu), and the last time I tried it five minutes ago, I had to Ctrl-Alt-Delete and end the process manually.

Edited by AluminumHaste

I just tried to reproduce it but I don't get that. I opened a new map, right-click the orthoview, choose "Create Entity" and hit cancel, then I repeated the "Create Entity" > Cancel routine for at least 6 times, it always worked.

Could it be that you missed the Cancel button and clicked the orthoview instead? This might cause the "EntityChooser" window to disappear behind the orthoview, and DarkRadiant appears to be frozen, unless you move the orthoview away.

Yes, that is most likely. If ever DR 'freezes' then the most likely thing is a forgotten or hidden window somewhere. I sometimes used to do it with 'Add Property' then change my mind and go on to other things then can't do anything not even close DR when all the while the Add Property is right there still open.

If you get a freeze then the first thing is check for an open dialog either hidden or placed where you are overlooking it.

I wonder if there is any possibility of certain actions including a cancel of certain dialogs? Eg, Right click ortho or 'close program' always sends a cancel to the entity and model selectors and add property, etc. But I think that is probably impossible since the cancel is built into the dialog and no way to send it I shouldn't think. But if there were any way to clear all open dialogs then any intent by the mapper to do something else might be a valid reason to close an open dialog. Dunno, would need some thought and maybe testing even if possible.

One other thing a mapper can do is always try to place windows and dialogs etc so they overlap a little so at least part is showing. How I wish I had a 40 inch monitor. :)

Yes, that is most likely. If ever DR 'freezes' then the most likely thing is a forgotten or hidden window somewhere. I sometimes used to do it with 'Add Property' then change my mind and go on to other things then can't do anything not even close DR when all the while the Add Property is right there still open.

If you get a freeze then the first thing is check for an open dialog either hidden or placed where you are overlooking it.

I wonder if there is any possibility of certain actions including a cancel of certain dialogs? Eg, Right click ortho or 'close program' always sends a cancel to the entity and model selectors and add property, etc. But I think that is probably impossible since the cancel is built into the dialog and no way to send it I shouldn't think. But if there were any way to clear all open dialogs then any intent by the mapper to do something else might be a valid reason to close an open dialog. Dunno, would need some thought and maybe testing even if possible.

One other thing a mapper can do is always try to place windows and dialogs etc so they overlap a little so at least part is showing. How I wish I had a 40 inch monitor. :)

I thought of that, so I made the window for darkradiant small, and look behind it and stuff, and it's not there. I'll try it again with repeatable results.

I also never said that the program froze. I said that you can't close it with the "x" and sometimes by going to file->exit, you can still use the tools and map and stuff.

Edited by AluminumHaste

GOT IT!!! :)

Open any map, right click on any ortho view.

Select "Create Entity..."

Click on the red "X" at the top right corner of the window to close it.

Now right click again on the ortho view and select "Create Entity...", nothing happens.

The appears that the dialog box isn't being disposed of properly when clicking the x button instead of cancel.

Edited by AluminumHaste

Now right click again on the ortho view and select "Create Entity...", nothing happens.

The appears that the dialog box isn't being disposed of properly when clicking the x button instead of cancel.

Hitting Alt-F4 seems to fix this, as then right-clicking and selecting "Create Entity..." seems to pop up again.

I'll try to check that out when I get home.

I just tried it, got the problem. Incidentally, I was able to then close DR by double clicking its red X. You don't need to even open a map, it worked with no map (a new map)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

A (presumably simple?) fix to help mitigate the problem of dialogs (not just this one, but also the light dialog, model dialog, etc) getting "lost" behind other windows (this happens to me frequently due to my arrangement, making maximum use of ortho and cam, 1/2 and 1/2 the screen), would be a "Window" menu item. If you're unfamiliar with it, it simply contains a list of all currently active windows for the application. The currently selected one has a checkmark next to it. Going to this menu, the user would see, "Oh, my Light properties dialog is open?? Where?" and then they click it, and it is brought to the front. No more lost dialogs.

What do you think? They're also used to cascade and tile windows, but I'd doubt that feature serves good purpose here.

Can these dialogs be given the property 'always on top'? Just the ones that block. They can always be pushed to one side to look below but basically, if you have them showing you have to use them anyway. Whereas entity inspector, ortho, etc. are always open so don't want to be always on top.

What do you think? They're also used to cascade and tile windows, but I'd doubt that feature serves good purpose here.

I think that's a good suggestion. It will require some work but the window-getting-lost-behind-other-windows issues is cropping up rather often. Please add it to the tracker.

Can these dialogs be given the property 'always on top'? Just the ones that block. They can always be pushed to one side to look below but basically, if you have them showing you have to use them anyway. Whereas entity inspector, ortho, etc. are always open so don't want to be always on top.

The problem with the floating window layout is that all the windows are set to be top-level windows. Unfortunately there is no such thing like a z-index for GTK top-level windows, so they have to fight against each other.

Okay, tracked.

The problem with the floating window layout is that all the windows are set to be top-level windows.

Interesting; can the floating ortho and cam views be "demoted" so they are below all others? I'm trying to think of if that would cause problems, but I can't really think of a time when you *need* the ortho and cam obscuring things, as opposed to vice-versa.

No, there is only one sort of top-level window - as I said, there is no such thing as z-index which would allow for assigning priorities, so each top-level window is behaving exactly the same.