The Dark Mod Forums

Attach entities to tdm ropes how?

AluminumHaste

You won't believe this but I've now combined this with a pendulum so it permanently has a slight swing. I placed the patch cylinder rope func_pendulum I described earlier just above the entity rope. I then bound the entity rope to the pendulum rope. It starts of with big swings as normal but then settles down to the pendulum swing. This is so cool.

Sounds promising! It would be cool if we could replace all the chains on our hanging lights with AF chains like this, so the lanterns would react properly to being hit. Street signs would be another candidate.

Unfortunately, you can't start it swinging by hitting the thing bound to the rope but the other way round. Unless someone can up with a way, maybe a script or something. Is it possible for a special rope to have a special collision model that outlines the rope the bulges out at the bottom to surround an object like a lantern? Is that possible? So one would hit the collisison box of the rope while it looks like one is hitting the light or whatever. I agree chains acting like these ropes would be good.

Unfortunately, you can't start it swinging by hitting the thing bound to the rope but the other way round. Unless someone can up with a way, maybe a script or something. Is it possible for a special rope to have a special collision model that outlines the rope the bulges out at the bottom to surround an object like a lantern? Is that possible? So one would hit the collisison box of the rope while it looks like one is hitting the light or whatever. I agree chains acting like these ropes would be good.

Well the only thing separating a chain from a rope is textures/model/joints. Shouldn't be to hard, just take out the rope texture from the rope model and change it for a chain texture, and voila and they'll work the same way.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Well, maybe, but a rope is a solid cylinder whereas a chain is a series of links alternating in orientation. I don't think it would look good close up to have a chain texture on the rope model. OK from a difference. I was thinking earlier that the chains on the model chandelier I was testing with look incredibly good close up.

Unfortunately, you can't start it swinging by hitting the thing bound to the rope but the other way round.

Oh really? Hmm, that's not so great then. Maybe there's a way around that.

Fidcal's idea of a special rope object with an invisible blob bone on the end would work well for a general use I think. Attach something to it, when the player (or flying barrels or anything else in the world) hits the blob it looks like it's hitting the object and it will swing on the rope :)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Well, that would work in a hacky sort of way if nothing else will work (assuming it's possible, which I don't know)--but it wouldn't be great, since the size wouldn't match up, and you wouldn't be able to shoot an arrow into a wooden sign, for example.

Is the problem just that the attached object becomes nonsolid? I wonder if it's related to the problem we had of md5meshes becoming nonsolid?

Well, that would work in a hacky sort of way if nothing else will work (assuming it's possible, which I don't know)--but it wouldn't be great, since the size wouldn't match up, and you wouldn't be able to shoot an arrow into a wooden sign, for example.

Is the problem just that the attached object becomes nonsolid? I wonder if it's related to the problem we had of md5meshes becoming nonsolid?

How about we make any object to attach to it have a bone? Are they simple to do?

Oh really? Hmm, that's not so great then. Maybe there's a way around that.

My hunch is that this is the general problem of "hit object A bound to object B and it doesn't move". The "bind" stuff is really only implemented halfway and there are many cases not really working.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 3 weeks later...

Fidcal, have you read this thread? Was the crate you attached a moveable?

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=7637

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry AluminiumHaste. I don't know but suspect the answer is no - which isn't very helpful! :laugh: As far as I know the bones (joints) are defined in the model and not spawned in-game.

I did notice that on all the ropes, the last two bones are bone 91 and bone92, are these autogenerated?

I did notice that on all the ropes, the last two bones are bone 91 and bone92, are these autogenerated?

I don't think so, they were in the .md5 files last time I looked. I got the impression this was copy&paste by whoever created the ropes.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Mmm.. I don't see a rope model as such - maybe you're right and they're generated by script or in the code somehow. It's beyond me I'm afraid. :)

Look here:

af/env_rope.af

:D

AF bodies can be created on the fly, but currently you can only do this from the SDK, there is no userfriendly way to add to an AF ingame in realtime. You could however use the ingame AF editor which is described here: http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/editor_af.php , and then reload whatever you're working on every time you make changes to the AF, with the console command "reloaddecls", or maybe there is a separate "reloadafs" or "reloadragdolls", I'm not sure.