The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 0.9.6 RC2

I want to release DarkRadiant 0.9.6 this weekend (i.e. tonight or tomorrow), so this is the release candidate:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/DarkRadia...nt-0.9.6rc2.exe

What's changed:

• This release has a bunch of changes, which I'll be summing up in the changes page on the website (WIP).
  • The most noticeable change are the support of layers. (Default shortcut for layer dialog is "M", assign objects via the context menu).
  • I've built this package using the newer VC++ 2008 compiler, so there might be new dependencies. If anybody receives errors about missing dependencies or a missing msvcr90.dll, let me know, I'll have to include these in the package then.

Please, give this package a go and report critical issues in this thread. I'll only fix crashes and other show-stoppers for this 0.9.6 release. I'm aware that there are some open requests on the tracker which were reported during the 0.9.6pre-release test phase, but there's no way I can resolve all of them for this release.

The segfault at shutdown on Linux appears to be gone, which is nice. However I can't find a way to get the Layers dialog -- M just brings up the Map Info dialog, and I can't see a LayersDialog entry in the keyboard shortcuts list.

The segfault at shutdown on Linux appears to be gone, which is nice. However I can't find a way to get the Layers dialog -- M just brings up the Map Info dialog, and I can't see a LayersDialog entry in the keyboard shortcuts list.

I just added a new menu item to the menu.xml file (View > Layers). The according command is ToggleLayerControlDialog, I think this has caused some confusion before - unfortunately I don't have a way to add new default shortcuts to existing input.xml in the user folders so users will have to assign that themselves. I shall add this to the release notes.

I cannot launch it. I am informed that 'the application configuration is incorrect,' and reinstalling did not help. Since it never launches, I don't get a log file, but here's what event viewer shows:

Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Doom3\DarkRadiant-test\DarkRadiant.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC90.CRT. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

I guess this means more library installs? Out of curiosity, do we gain actual benefits for these compiler changes, or is it just increased reqs and headaches for you and us?

Great work!

Just a quick question, tho, wouldn't it make much more sense to have "CTRL-L" to be the layer dialog? (That's what it is in Gimp, plus "L" as in Layer makes more sense than "M" as in ...uh...whatever? :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Using the Surfaceinspector is affectign grouped brushes (func_static children) without having to select all faces manually.

typo in "affecting" :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I guess this means more library installs? Out of curiosity, do we gain actual benefits for these compiler changes, or is it just increased reqs and headaches for you and us?

Hm, I tried to package the MSVCR90.DLL but this didn't help on my test machine.

Solution 1: users would have to reinstall the vc_redistx86.exe (the one for VC++ 2008, not 2005). I agree that this will cause confusion.

Solution 2: I'll be using VC++ 2008 for development, but assemble the installer using VC++ 2005, as the assemblies for 2005 are more common. The 2008 DLLs are not very widely spread yet, as VC++ 2008 has been released only half a year ago. I'll switch to 2008 sometime in the future, when things have settled a bit.

I went for Solution 2 for the moment being, here is the new installer:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/DarkRadia...nt-0.9.6rc2.exe

Just a quick question, tho, wouldn't it make much more sense to have "CTRL-L" to be the layer dialog? (That's what it is in Gimp, plus "L" as in Layer makes more sense than "M" as in ...uh...whatever? :)

I'm open to suggestions. If there is common agreement on a default shortcut change, I'll be happy to commit that of course.

Also, the current layer control dialog is the first incarnation (based on the Photoshop's implementation) - it could be that there is a better way of handling this, like it's done in Blender for instance.

typo in "affecting" :)

Fixed.

I did have one, but I think you made some changes since I built it so I had better create a new one.

The dependencies may also be a bit wonky since I have upgraded a couple of my system libraries from the 6.06 default (Glib, Cairo etc), but I guess there are probably not that many people still using Ubuntu 6.06 anyway.

I'll check it out on my ubuntu installation.

The only mirror (puzzle) doesn't load for me. I'll retry tomorrow.