The Dark Mod Forums

multiplayer thief 2

slavatrumpevitch

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe, good one! ;D

When it comes to respawning I prefer the "Gears of War"-way, where you have to run to your parnter to revive him and if you don't manage to do so in time the game is over. The time has to be a lot longer than in average shooters, because levels in thief are much bigger and the players should be alowed to split up as far as they wish. This concept is not very realistic too, but much more than simple respawning and it also makes gameplay more immersive.

now, this wouldn't work in OMs, but maybe in an FM it could be interesting:

Instead of 'dying' you get locked up (sort of like in TDS) but the guards aren't complete morons, so you can't break out of the jail by yourself, so your team-mate would need to free you (and this could be optional, or not)

sort of like a hybird of CTF and thief

I know i'll probably be bombarded with posts about how that would make the game very different, yes i realize this, and i'm not saying it's the best solution, it's just somthing that came into my mind. i think, if executed well, it could be a nice gameplay tweak, but maybe that's just me.

Edited by slavatrumpevitch

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

Only problem is, it'd be quite boring for the partner being locked up in jail. :)

I'd love to play Thief 2 at a LAN party, even it if it was glitchy. It'd be great fun.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

My biggest complaint would be standing around waiting up to God knows how long for the other person to finish the map if they choose not to free you.

Fun.

It reckon it could work as a few well crafted missions, but it wouldn't work in general practice on your average mission. I remember Jedi Knight had a few co-op missions. They were possible to make, but they often didn't work as well in practice. You'd have to end up doing something like the co-op game on Half-Life for the PS, with puzzles designed specifically for the two players to work together in. Funnily enough they made it so you could play that possible to play in singleplayer by letting you swap which character you were playing as in the middle of the game (I remember an older game doing something similar. It involved 3 vikings. If anyone knows the name, please say) which I thought was kind of interesting but ultimately pointless.

SeaBass%20Hale.png

LOL - you guys are STILL talking about it like you've actually done it!

Try playing Thievery as a co-op against the guards, it proves the idea is as awesome as it sounds. Like I already said, it's perfect, its just that the Thievery missions are missing any sort of scripted events or story progression.

Three vikings? You can only talk about the fabulous Lost Vikings 1 and 2. Those three were the heroes of my childhood! :D

But waiting for your partner to revive you, or waiting for your partner to free you from jail makes no difference to me, only that the jail is much more realistic and creates bigger immersion again. Great idea!

About thievery, I tried it with another thief fan on a lan once, but we didn't manage to do any shit! It was way too hard at that time and I normally also semi-ghost thief FMs on expert. With the guards always runnig around (and never walking), you have to stay away from them in a much bigger radius. Blackjacking was impossible to us. Maybe we were just too tired, I don't know. I'd like to see a pro play that mod though.

Yeah I'm talking about Thievery with player thieves against AI guards.

Thievery against other human guards isn't the same experience, because it's more like guards that are going to fucking kill you, instead of guards loping around getting bored with their job. An awesome experience in its own right, and yes you can blackjack them, you just have to be EVEN BETTER than normal.

But yeah - Thievery with all AI guards is the co-op Thief experience that actually works, just missing the story elements...

LOL - you guys are STILL talking about it like you've actually done it!

I *HAVE* done it!

It was decent, but the maps were miniscule!

Milestones approaching:

Funnily enough they made it so you could play that possible to play in singleplayer by letting you swap which character you were playing as in the middle of the game (I remember an older game doing something similar. It involved 3 vikings. If anyone knows the name, please say) which I thought was kind of interesting but ultimately pointless.

Sounds alot like Eidos's Project Eden, you had to switch between 4 chars to get through the game. I played the demo and hated it. I just wanted to use one char and that's it.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I *HAVE* done it!

It was decent, but the maps were miniscule!

Hahah ok - I was really directing that at the people going "Nope - it'd be an entirely different game, it wouldn't work, it'd be pointless, yep, I reckon it'd be a lot less fun than it sounds." :rolleyes:

Anyway how much have you actually played it?? I wouldn't call their maps "miniscule" by any standards :) Sure they're not exactly the size of "Tracing the Courier" but a whole mansion including surrounding guardens and grave yard and sewers is big enough to get the experience! Most of their maps are fairly decent. There's even a "city streets" one.

You forgot to mention, it's also a 2d-platform jump'n'run (DOS-game). ;) I prefered sticking to singleplayer with that game though, because switching between the chars was awkward with always one player blocking one (random) char. It would've been a lot better if it was three-player-coop.

Since we are offtopic here now anyway, has anyone of you played a little bit of Splinter Cell in coop? I really loved it, although my step-bro's gaming style and mine weren't quite compatible. He's only playing shooters so I had to cool him down very often!!

Gears of War worked a lot better with him, of course. That game can be pure fun too, if you let it get to you and don't be too picky. The gfx just rock, but the gameplay is basically just arcade shooting.

Edited by STiFU

You forgot to mention, it's also a 2d-platform jump'n'run (DOS-game). ;) I prefered sticking to singleplayer with that game though, because switching between the chars was awkward with always one player blocking one (random) char. It would've been a lot better if it was three-player-coop.

Actually it was a SNES game as far as I was concerned :D I think the SNES version was the best of all of the versions, having the best graphics and sound hardware of any platform at the time. It had digital music (like MOD music) and the music was so catchy and is still awesome to me today.

I should give Spliter Cell co-op a go.

• 7 months later...

hey, so, in case anyone's interested, thief 2 multiplayer had their first public beta release this past week. you can download it here:

http://s149432842.onlinehome.us/thief/t2mp_184.zip

and view the thread about it here:

http://www.ttlg.com/FORUMS/showthread.php?...594&page=14

I still haven't played it yet. (I didn't find out until right after thanksgiving break ended...) But that's what winter break is for! I hope some of you guys take a look at this. I know it's not polished yet, but I certainly would bet it'll be pretty fun.

Milestones approaching:

:o

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I've done it. It's fun ... really fun.

Now when insane things happen, there is someone there to witness them with you.

And to think there are now 100s of FMs to take on co-op...

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Argh... does it work properly??? Don't let me get my hopes up for nothing...

Boy am I glad I logged in today...

*edit* actually this is the real thread link

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1793911

yeah sounds slightly quirky so far but for the most part you can actulaly play through the first lot of original missions. Towards the end more bugs become prominent.

Finaly my dream of playing Calendra's Legacy with my 2 brothers will come true. One of them hasn't played it yet, it will be pretty awesome.

Truly a great development... and then how do people play it?

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=qaqUdXoLs0U

All concern/need for and practice of stealth is right out the window. <_< Still, it's early yet, and excitement is high, so perhaps play-styles will mature. Just hate to see what makes Thief great and different be tossed in favor of running through a mission as fast as possible while slaying everything that moves and picking up goodies in typical shooter fashion.

Incidentally I don't know what FM(s?) that is, but it looks top-notch.

• 2 weeks later...

Downloaded and played First City Bank and Trust with my bro yesterday. Fucking awesome, seriously. Though loading up T2 again reminded me of the bugs that were in it - mantling etc. It is really nice to sneak through with a "partner in crime". We of course tried to ghost it, as otherwise it is too easy with two of us.

First City Bank and Trust seems like it would work great for co-op play since one person could hit the basement to unlock the vault while the other person simultaneously heads toward the vault door. Can it actually work out that way? That's probably still my all-time favorite mission. :)

there is actually a youtube video showing exactly that.

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ4kBC-F6TU

Milestones approaching:

Thievery is the only multi-player that gave me such an adrenaline rush, my hands would shake after a good game. Leatherman and I ran a server for a couple of years, man the fun we had. No other multi-player game can give me that rush like Thievery can. I pushed myself to get good at it. I was happiest playing a Thief, not too many women would play a Thief. In its hay day, it was awesome, with lots of players.

People still do play, just not many anymore, its hit and miss. It does have a steep learning curve, mastering the techniques took time, but, once you did, it was SOO worth it. The AI in thief, hate to say it, can be boring at times. Very predicatble, there was something about playing against a human guard, can you out do them? Sometimes, I failed, sometimes I won. I can black jack the Thief AI with my eyes closed. Playing against real human guards, is challenging, and rewarding.

Thievery did have some large maps, Breandor, and another one, I have to look up, I'm at work right now, it was so huge, you needed co-op just to play it. It was TOO big.